Bad
Good

A new administrative team started at the school last year and I have noticed significant changes in the school staff and environment. The new principal is clearly focused on our children and their learning. The staff is very responsive and caring. There are now additional activities for students, parents and families. These activities are what my family needed because I am learning how to help my child with homework at home. My child is very happy and is making a lot of progress at the school.

My experience with the administrative staff is terrible. The school called one day, because my son got sick and needed to be picked up. I was at work at the time they called. My job is approx. 13 minutes from the school, and I live on the same street on which the school is located. As I was on my way to pick up my son, he was almost home. I immidiately called the school to ask, why they let my son go home by himself? And, why they just couldn't wait until I got there? They had no answers. I asked to speak to the principal, and they refused to put her on the phone. I had to call the superintendents office. After receiving 2 calls from the from the superintedent's office, the principal called me . I told her my concerns for my son's safety. He is only a second grader and should not be out on the street on his own. At least two streets need to be crossed and it is a very busy street. It is not the first time that I have had problems with the administrative staff, but this time was just unacceptable because my son's life was in danger. The principal never takes any actions with any complaints, not even with an issue of this magnitude.

After several discussions with the administrative staff at this school, I wonder why in the world would the Superintendent allow this school to be opened with the 2008-2009 staff, especially the principal. I have had repeated requests for records I've submitted (can't start school without certain documents) and consistent 'I don't have time for this' attitude. I would completely understand if the situation was about lost homework, but I am talking about my children's records! Teachers - Good; Administrative Staff - worst in the state of Maryland! I would not return my children there.

My family has had wonderful preschool experiences at Riverdale Elementary School. I am an involved parent and I pay close attention to how this school runs. I was impressed with my sons teachers, whom are concerned and helpful and I believe have down a great job getting my son ready for Kindergarten. I have had the pleasure of working with others in the staff and have been equally impressed....Tina D. (parent)

Best staff, studnets and administrative team in the county

I have nieces and nephews in riverdale es.. They love their school and are eager to go there everyday. Their parents briefly moved out of the county and moved back because the kids wanted to be in their school and their community. The school is very supportive of these kids and they feel it. Additionally, i was surpised to learn that they had been exposed in early elementary school to opera and classical music! they have some really good teachers who care about the kids and the kids know it. What better review is there than that the kids love it and they are are all doing well there too. Kudos to them for supporting multi-cultural students.

My nephew has had a relatively good experience at Riverdale E.S. My greatest issue is lack of response to letters sent to several teachers. Because there are challenges with enlisting parent support, the staff seems to have given up on reaching out to parents and allowing those who want to help do so. Kudos to Riverdale E.S. for raising test scores. Mrs. Sala, kindergarten, is kind and well-liked.

Last modified Riverdale Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.