Riverdale, MD

Templeton Elementary School 5

Posted August 05, 2014
My son started this school from PK. He is know going into 5th Grade which would be his last grade at Templeton. Before he was out of K... he was reading on 1st grade level. Big thanks to Ms Henry.... his PK teacher. This summer my son had a life time ACHIVEMENT at ENVISION the National Youth Leadership foruma: Pathways to Discovery on Engineering, Medicine & CSI. Special thanks to all the Teachers who had anything to do with this achivement for my child. It's not the school or the Teachers problem if your child is not learning the way he or she should. Teaching should always start at home, and not school.

Templeton Elementary School 2

Posted November 12, 2010
Templeton was a fantastic school several years ago when I sent my son. The principal was friendly, and atmosphere was welcoming, and the teachers went the extra mile. Since they have changed to this new principal, there has been many changes. Some of the teachers my son most loved have left, and I feel like parents are not welcomed there. I will be taking my daughter out at the end of this year.

Templeton Elementary School 3

Posted June 14, 2010
I recently chose to take my son out of Templeton and look for an area with better schools. From all of the negative talk about Templeton, I was convinced that I could find a better school. I went to MoCo and attended several open houses. What I found was eye opening. Although Templeton is not perfect, the teachers and educators are far more dedicated and innovative than most. Many schools are strictly interested in Test Scores, Templeton educates the whole student. In addition ELL and SPED students are treated as valuable members of the school community instead of distractions. The grass is not always greener. True, the leadership could use some improvement, however I have noticed a marked difference from previous years. Many parents complain a lot, yet I rarely seeing them trying to help or volunteer, instead they can be hostile towards the staff. I have since reenrolled my son.

Posted May 24, 2010
Well I posted a comment before about the major problems this school has but for some reason it is gone, so here goes again: Templeton's issue starts at the top, thereafter trickles down to "some" of the teachers. You have some star players but they are overshadowed by what I call poor management. I agree with the post from May 20, 2010. They go by "double standards" teachers are using poor methods of training. M y son's teacher called him a "snitch" so now she is always surprised that he doesn't want to give her any information. She makes the 1st graders use the big kids bathrooms (they have to go with a partner but still!!) why do they have a bathroom in the classroom ? I told the principal, even the superintendent but as usual in PG County schools it fell on deaf ears. So bad...

Posted May 20, 2010
This school has so many problem that there is not enough room to post. Good teachers; some, but they are not willing to speak up against the inept front office administration (principal). Example - how in the world can the principal of this school and her "supervisor" be proud of students attaining a score of 69.5% in one of the MSA categories for 2009-2010 school year? UNACCEPTABLE! If the teachers were not afraid to speak up and parents were allowed in the school (unwelcomed environment) then maybe the scores would be above 85%. It appears that a choice of the quality of education for the students is between the blue ribbon status and just making AYP... just making AYP is winning but should NEVER be acceptable.

Posted June 05, 2005
this school suffers from the same types of maladies as other low-functioning schools...the teachers & admin staff have low expectations based on the demographics and the attitude seems 'if it ain't broke...'. It is truly sad.

Posted August 20, 2004
I was sorely disappointed with the quality of the education my daughter received while at Templeton. She is a TAG-identified student and was not challenged at all throughout the entire school year. To prove my point, there were times when she would spend class time grading other student's papers because of a lack of challenge. She was skipped to the next grade in hopes for improvement, and there was a minimal difference. There were still 99% of days when she would do her homework on the 15 minute bus ride home from school. I regret that a year of our lives was wasted there, and I would strongly suggest that one think about other options if Templeton is in your line of choices.

Templeton Elementary School 2

Posted December 09, 2003
I've had a sibling,neice's and 2 children attend Templeton elem. and i've notice since the last principal left the school the academics and morale at the school has changed for the worst. My child could use some extra help and the school doesn't offer any tutoring. I can say 50% of his learning disability come from what the school is lacking, leadership,support and good teachers.

Templeton Elementary School
6001 Carters Ln, Riverdale, MD  20737
Last modified Templeton Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Templeton Elementary School Rating: 2 out of 5 based on 9 reviews. Top