Bad
Good

I have all of my three kids in this school and I must say that I have never felt anything but safe and well taken care of. My kids have never wanted to miss school and they look forward to going to school every day. The teachers are caring and responsive to all the emails I have sent. The new building is beautiful and is located in a very nice neighborhood.

Candlewood is a GREAT school because of the dedicated teachers in ALL grade levels.They truly care about the well being of their students and make learning FUN for kids.

This school has the best teachers for 4 and 5 grade. They are serious about teaching and don't make stupid math mistakes. I was not impressed with school at the beginning but now I feel that they give real impression of kids knowledge and I think it is the most important aspect of successful learning. They do not praise everybody for everything but ask for serious work to deserve a praise. They give foundation for lifetime learning.

I have become very displeased with Candlewood. They are not inclusive of all students and only recognized the few. They have made it more difficult to make honor roll than the county standard, their reasoning being, "too many children were making honor roll". I really don't understand this line of thinking. One would think the administration would want to promote the fact that a large percentage of their student body earn honor roll. The enviornment has become more rigid and punitive as the years go by.

Given the high number of disheartened Candlewood parents you'll meet at pickup, it is surprising to see so many 5-star reviews here. The quality of the school has deteriorated significantly in the last few years. Part of the problem is district-wide and greater than the school itself, to be sure: excessive standardized testing, a vapid 2.0 curriculum, etc. But even at the school level, I can say that the principal (who has been in this post since forever) is fairly incompetent and has negatively impacted teacher morale. The enthusiasm is just not there, and the academics are woefully lacking. With two Candlewood kids (one now in middle school), my wife and I are now looking to move so our one Candlewood kid can attend a better public elementary school. It is true, as some reviewers have pointed out, that many Candlewood parents are involved, which is nice. The school is small (though it's about to undergo major construction to expand) and has a neighborhood-y feel, which is also nice. But at the end of the day, I would say this is an "average" school and nothing more. Hence the 3-star rating.

Small community of highly committed parents and teachers. The staff are dedicated to enriching children with academics, the arts and positive social relationships. The community also aims to educate children to be responsible and caring citizens.

Great school. Excellent teachers. My daughter love it!

I have two kids at Candlewood. They both love it. They're learning and are challenged. The teachers send out regular emails to keep us informed of what activities are going on and what homework is due.

Motivated teachers and small class size keep the focus on the students - we've been very pleased thus far!

This is an amazing school. My daughter is in kindergarten and I couldn't have asked for a better school for her first year. The teachers are always availbale, give great feedback, & parent involvement is amazing.

Last modified Candlewood Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.