Rockville, MD

Maryvale Elementary School 4

Posted February 26, 2014
my daughter is in the French immersion kindergarten and we have been thrilled with the program. We do not speak French at home and she is soaking it all up and doing wonderfully.

Maryvale Elementary School 4

Posted June 25, 2013
My daughter is in the French Immersion program. Her year in 3rd grade was stellar. Mme. Sawadogo is a wonderful teacher who really cares and takes the time to nurture students. She deserves many awards for all the students she has helped in progressing through not just French, but math, science, and reading. Our experience has been good with the school, and the principal has addressed my concerns successfully. I can't speak for the general English curriculum, however. Also parents need to make sure that their kids are prepared for the rigor of learning a foreign language full-immersion style. Most kids in the immersion program has at least 1 French speaking parent. Many kids get scared and intimidated by the program, and just because it is a special County program parents rush to put their kids in the lottery. But all in all, we have had a good experience with the school from kindergarten.

Posted August 17, 2012
Two years ago I gave this school 4 stars. I have since changed my mind.

Maryvale Elementary School 1

Posted August 16, 2012
After 2 1/2 years, we took the decision to transfer our daughter from the french immersion program. She was getting behind and her room teacher did not help at all, all the opposite she made my daughter and us think was my daughter fault, later we found out, half of her second grade class was taking private tutoring, because kids in general did not understand well this teacher, not her accent but the way she communicates. We brought issue to principal office and their attitude was even worse. We contacted the county education department, they have what is called parents-school mediator and did not help much, but we were not the first parents contacting them for the same issue. 3 kids dropped from this particular class in one year and the problem with this teacher has been for years and nobody does anything!! Several of the parents that decide to transfer their kids to other schools are French native speakers, which speaks volumes about this big problem this program has.

Posted January 01, 2012
My daughter is learning a lot at Maryvale Elementary School, the curriculum is very good and the teachers are very dedicated. The PTA is very involved.

Posted April 03, 2011
My daughter was in French immersion for two years many years ago and now our neighbor's son is attending the program with the same teacher. At the time Madame Lomis told us that the program was not good for my daughter because she was struggling with sorting out words. Six years later my neighbor is also being told that the program is not for them because of sotings words. I looked that the work he had and I saw the exact things that that my daughter was having difficulty in first grade. At the time we were told teachers make their curriculum. For a program with such good reputation this is very disappointing.

Posted February 04, 2010

Posted January 07, 2010

Maryvale Elementary School 1

Posted December 28, 2009

Posted October 04, 2009

Maryvale Elementary School
1000 First St, Rockville, MD  20850
Last modified Maryvale Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Maryvale Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 20 reviews. Top