Rockville, MD
Students enrolled: 1,265

Posted November 24, 2014
Academically the school offers all the challenges any bright kid could ask for. Rockville has an IB program, an Engineering program, a Journalism program and Advanced Placement programs. While Rockville is large enough to offer every type of opportunity for education or extra-curricular activity it is not so large that there is not room for everyone who wants to participate. The school spirit is terrific. It is a small town atmosphere in an urban world. All the kids know each other. All types are accepted for who they are. The level of achievement is impressive. The student run school newspaper is a consistent national award winner (including this year) and was the national paper of the year in 2010. In 2010 our It's Academic team won the Washington DC Metro Area & Regional Championship. Last year Rockville produced a Maryland state swimming champion, an All-American Lacrosse player, a MD state record breaking football quarterback, a division winning basketball team and a host of students earning college scholarship offers. Those not participating in the sports form the rabid student cheering section they call The Inferno . They enjoy their school! Couldn't ask for more!

Rockville High School 3

Posted July 30, 2014
The quality of education varies a lot at this school. The mayority of teachers at this school have enough skills to teach adequately. However, there are some that lack of the sufficient skills to teach. There are two math teachers that cause a lot of complaints. The first one cannot make sure that students focus on the class and the second one does not know how to explain the topics. Almost all of the students at a math class failed the test. One of the best things about this school is that students with disabilities are integrated into regular classes. For example, some classrooms have interpreters for deaf students.

Rockville High School 2

Posted December 09, 2013
I'm a 10th grader here and I can honestly say it has been an overall bad experience. The school size is small yet I have 35+ people in most of my classes. Some parts of the school are dirty, overall decisions made by the school are bad, most students don't get along and are distractions to the rest of the class, etc.

Posted September 19, 2013
I recently graduated from Rockville, and I already miss it. One of the best things about RHS is that a student has so many opportunities due to the combination of the small population and the number of teams, clubs, and organizations offered at this school. I was a cheerleader, played in the orchestra, was a member of the national honors society, and wrote for the newspaper. I'm not going to say that there are no cliques, because let's be real, it's high school, but I will say that because you can be involved in such a wide range of activities, you also have the opportunity to make friends with a wide range of people. RHS is also a community that comes together and supports you when you need it. My sophomore year, a teachers 10 year old daughter was diagnosed with bone cancer. I have never seen so many people all come together to help somebody. We raised thousands of dollars to help the family pay for her medical bills. One of the criticisms I saw mentioned in other reviews is the strict dress code. I agree, it was crazy, but the principle who initiated that has since left the school. All in all, my four years at RHS were fantastic ones.

Posted April 15, 2012
My daughter came here after a below-par experience at a local private school. She has had an excellent 3 years here so far. Rockville High School has a special program to cater for gifted children, she has been achieving better grades and the teachers are for the most part fantastic.

Rockville High School 3

Posted December 07, 2011
Rockville High School is a great school for many obvious reasons. It's small, has an IB and AP program, and an award winning newspaper. However, there are many negative aspects to RHS. First of all, the banning of yoga pants is absolutely absurd. They are the same exact cut as boot-cut jeans, if not baggier. I understand the the Principal would like us students to dress professionally, but they should focus on the academics rather than who is wearing what. Also, I have noticed that every single thin, young white girl who is wearing yoga pants gets in trouble by security, when girls of color are walking around with their cleavage hanging out and tight leggings, yet they are not getting in trouble at all! It is very unfair. Another part of RHS that I do not like is the math program. The teachers expect you to do an immense amount of work every night even when the teacher does not thoroughly explain what they are learning, and us as students must figure it out ourselves. Personally, I believe that the homework load should be up to par with their teaching, because if I am not being taught anything I do not understand how teachers expect us to figure out homework on our own.

Rockville High School 2

Posted January 08, 2011
This school seems to be slipping. There have been many dangerous fights within the last two months or so but all the principal seems to care about is enforcing a nonsense dress code that bans yoga pants and leggings. The principal claims that she wants the students to look professional but it is hard to look professional when students are exposing people's chests and ripping people's weaves out of their scalp. And forget about attending school in the spring without overheating; shorts and tank tops are banned as well. Now, on a more academic note, the school is mediocre. The math department, however, has to be the worst. The teachers assign to much work that is not up to par with their poor teaching skills. My daughter is a quiet sophomore who tries to keep up with her work but we are both very aware of what goes on in the school. My verdict is that the school should relax on the dress code and take more time to get to the root of all these fights. It doesn't matter if the kids are wearing button up blouses, blazers, and slacks if they are physically mutilating their peers.

Posted April 18, 2010

Posted January 25, 2010

Posted October 04, 2009

Rockville High School
2100 Baltimore Rd, Rockville, MD  20851
Last modified Rockville High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Rockville High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top