Thomas S. Wootton High School 3

Posted June 17, 2014
Yes, Wootton is a strong school from an academic perspective and has some good teachers and admin staff. That being said, it is important to note the school is over crowded, high pressure and unwelcoming. There is so much emphasis on academics, the school feels tense. If your child can handle a large school with high pressure to excel academically, this is the place for you. If you are looking for something more friendly, more individualized, look elsewhere.

Posted February 01, 2014
Thomas S. Wootton High School is one of the best high schools in the State of Maryland, it consistently achieves top academic top scores along with a thriving environment which supports many diverse student interests via student clubs, theatre, music, and sports. The Wootton administration is very serious about fostering an environment for students to do well. Parents are very involved in making sure Wootton stays on the top of its game. The student composition at Wootton tend to come from very well educated and upper middle class if not wealthy backgrounds. We looked at several of the "W" high schools and found there are more students at Wootton who are driven to do well through merit but are also more down to earth. Intelligence, creativity in solving complex problems, and hard work is valued. There is less of a problem with distractions such as "designer drugs", snobbery, and bullying that permeate some of the other schools.

Posted May 24, 2013
Wootton has a lot of great things to offer. It depends each kid to get the best out of it. It's very competitive school. Peer pressure is high. They have a lot of AP classes to offer. You have to take a lot of AP classes to show the college that you challenge yourself. Sport teams are very hard to get in. There are too many kids super good at certain sports. Theater is huge at Wootton, especially the musical production (almost like Broadway). Plenty of internship opportunities. Almost all Science and IT students do interns during the summer or in senior year. Wootton's graduates are well prepared for college. At the same time, it is very competitive to get into the top colleges because you have to compete with so many super kids. Be prepared!

Posted February 29, 2012
Thomas S. Wootton High School is a great school where provides many regular classes, honor classes, AP classes and many after school activities. The students are good there. The teachers and consolers are very professional and responsible. The wootton parents are really involved into the school activities. My son spent four years great time there without parents' worries; and he has transferred over 30 college credits from Wootton into his college, which is one of the top universities. Many thanks to Wootton High school.

Thomas S. Wootton High School 4

Posted October 21, 2011
I am currently a junior at Wootton. I'm taking 4 AP classes but one of them is a double period science. Most teachers are usually available before and after school and during one or two lunch periods. They and the administration definitely pressure you to take AP classes, which is great, but they also pressure you to go to at least a couple of after school activities. Many of the people on sports teams practice until 4:30, then go home and do seven hours of homework. If you can handle that type of workload, go for it. Otherwise, I wouldn't get behind on your homework. I've read several reviews on here that complain about the students not being welcoming or friendly. The problem isn't that we're mean but that many of us are excruciatingly awkward. What you may conceive as being "unwelcoming" is probably our attempt at a friendly conversation. Don't take it personally :D

Posted August 06, 2011
I went to Wootton and just graduated~I LOVE this school !!!! Students here work hard and have fun at the same time~ The teachers here are all very patient and nice. They'll even stay after school to help students with tests and homework. The principal is also very humorous. Most students here have no problem getting into top in-state schools.

Thomas S. Wootton High School 2

Posted July 12, 2011
Yes, you can argue that Wootton has superb academic standing. And you may even argue that the athletic stance of the school is great. But if you're not a super genius or have pressuring parents, I don't see how any student can be satisfied. I entered the school system late into my 8th grade year, and was automatically placed into Wootton. My parents have always seen me as really smart, and I've always gotten good grades. But the curriculum here moves so much faster than I'm prepared for that I moved out of Honors Matter & Energy after failing the unit test. But the regular Matter & Energy was even worse. While I could keep up with the curriculum, I was getting straight A's. So at Wootton, all you're getting is immense pressure and speed to be a super genius or you feel stupid for not keeping up. In addition, the sports also play a huge roll in the school. If you don't play a sport or excell at any particular subject, you're kind of left behind. And by the way, for all those out there who doubt me, if you're getting B's, you're getting good grades. C's are mediocre, D's are bad, and failing is an actual F. Or, as it is here, an E.

Thomas S. Wootton High School 1

Posted March 15, 2011
READ THIS REVIEW!! Okay, Wootton has academic superiority. Awesome. But from my understanding, that is the only thing they care about. If you are an A+ student you'll do great. But if you're anywhere under that, you'll have trouble keeping up. I am currently a sophomore at Wootton and this is my first year here. I had the worst first impression and it never got better. No one made me feel welcomed. Good luck being a high school student with no freinds and average grades. I would never think that there is a high school in this country with as little school spirit. I would bet you anything that half the kids don't even know what the mascot is, because I forget too. No one cares about their school. It's so trashy. It just makes you stressed out when you think you have to get perfect grades to live up to the teachers' expectations. As a student, take my advice. The only reason these parents are rating it 5 stars is because their kid is getting perfect grades. My Honors Chemistry teacher told me to check into Regular Chem after having a solid C. As a student with a love for music, the sad excuss of a music department was sickening. I honestly hope Dr. Doran sees this. Thanks for reading

Posted October 20, 2009

Posted September 28, 2009
this school shows academic amzingness in every sense!

Thomas S. Wootton High School
2100 Wootton Parkway, Rockville, MD  20850
Last modified Thomas S. Wootton High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Thomas S. Wootton High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 35 reviews. Top