Twinbrook Elementary School

Public | PK-5

Posted yesterday

My child attended this school for 2 years and had a horrible experience. He and other classmates were abused by a teacher and he was forced to stay in the classroom with her. The principal couldn't have cared less about the well being of her students and staff. It seems as though Twinbrook gets the worst teachers who are passed because they are horrible teachers. My advice to you is to not let your child attend this school. If you decide to move into the Twinbrook area, pursue private education.

Posted February 22, 2014

I have to tell you that I was a little bit skeptical about moving into this neighborhood because of what I've heard from others regarding the school. But I have to tell you my daughter loves it here and she's doing very well in classes. The class sizes are small which I love because of the personal service. There are so many other schools that are overcrowded but that's far from the case here. I'm confident that we've made the right decision because she's going to be other highly rated schools in the not too distant future. It's a Title 1 school but I have not had any problems...I have to wonder about the person that can't spell bullying

Posted June 16, 2013

Let me start this by saying I moved to Rockville for the sole purpose of avoiding public schools in PG county. I have not regretted that decision! My daughter just finished Kindergarten here. Her teacher was stricter than I would have liked, but in the end my child has excelled academically (at almost a 2nd grade reading level now) even if it's caused her to dislike school. Indeed, after a year of games and fun in pre-k, Kindergarten has seemed like boot camp to her. The PTA is great, but lack parent involvement. It always seems to be the same parents at all the events, which is a shame. The Principal communicates by mass email and mass calls every week, plus they send home flyers about every single event coming up. No parent can say with a straight face they didn't know about upcoming events. I liked the variety of art, science, music, PE and media time, but felt the 30 minutes for lunch and 30 minutes for recess (which end up being about 20 minutes each once you are done lining everyone up) are just not enough. On a positive note, I heard that for the 2013-2014 school year Twinbrook is getting promethean boards (interactive white boards) in every classroom, which is great!

Posted May 29, 2013

The school needs lots of help. It does not understand bulling nor do they put a stop to it. I know several families including ourselves who were victims of bulling and the school never assumed responsibility for it. I invited an advocate to attend meetings with me and she too was treated poorly at the school. We have left the school with a bitter taste. And my husband and I believe that the high staff turnover and poor scores are also a reflection of the lack of skills the administrator has at this school. I have attended meetings were teachers expressed my child sad emotional state, and the principal a month later told me that she did not understand why we were talking her out of school since she had learn from her teachers that our daughter was very happy in school. And that her friends missed her. Those words were all untrue. I have a report from teachers expressing their concern about my daughter sadness and it had been noted she had no friends. So I think this sheds some light to how the administration responds to things at this school. Oh! and my daughter now it is at a school where the homework has more than doubled. Now I see why this other school scores are higher :)

Posted February 6, 2013

My kids are thriving at Twinbrook. They have been appropriately challenged and acknowledge each step of the way. We have had amazing teachers who make the learning experience very enjoyable. The school is diverse and always striving toward excellence. The PTA is active and plans many events throughout the year.

Posted January 4, 2011

This is my son's first year at Twinbrook.The teachers seem vary caring and so far we have had great experiance.The school work seems chalanging and the class sizes are small so teacher can focus on each child.

Posted April 17, 2010

My daughter started at Twin brook in third grade. The students were welcoming and friendly. The teachers are dedicated. My daughter was able to do advanced math and reading but still be with her friends.

Posted March 17, 2009

Twinbrook ES is an average-to-good school, despite the modest ratings. The additional financing that the school gets really helps ESOL and special needs students. However there are a few low points that one may foresee in the long-term. While this is a good school for foreign students, students who need additional help and special needs, the adequate level of challenge is not clear for advanced students. My daughter had a great start-up but now I feel she's bored and does not get challenged enough. I agree with the previous comment that the longer the child stays, the more average he/she will become. The PTA (Parent-Teacher Association) tries to put a lot of efforts, however the parental envolvement is far from active, and PTA activities seem to be limited to short-term goals. In one word, if you have an option to send your child to a better school, I'd recommend considering it!

Posted October 24, 2007

I tried for three years (K-2) to be happy with this school, and I just couldn't. The extra resources for Title 1 status were given to kids that were 'struggling.' If your child is above average academically, the longer they stay, the more average they will become. I transferred to another school in the cluster and two months into the school year, the difference is night and day! All of this being said, there are some great kids and families that go there. Hands down, the worst part was the after-care program. I agree that Floyd Starnes was effective for the year he was there.

Posted May 11, 2007

As the 2006 - 2007 school year draws to a close, I look back fondly at the person who made this year great: Floyd Starnes, principal intern. The school ran well, Mr. Starnes attended school events and actually cared about the kids and their families. Test scores are going up, the kids are reading and writing and everything would be great if Mr. Starnes could stay!

Posted March 15, 2007

I have 2 kids studying @ twinbrook for 2yrs. now & I can say that twinbrook is providing good educ.I always look @ my kid's homework & my kids updates me on what they're learning in school, and I can say their lessons are challenging. The teachers also sees to it that students are receiving lessons appropriate for they're capability.The only thing that I think that needs improvement is their lessons in reading, I supplement it by giving my kids extra activities @ home.They have after school programs and lots of kids registered for those programs. The teachers/office staffs are friendly, caring and very concern with the students. More power to Twinbrook Elem School!

Posted May 9, 2006

My only child is at Twinbrook, so I don't have a benchmark but it seems the schoolwork is challenging. My first grader has about a half hour a day, and it is a good mix of math, reading and writing. We had eleven parents at our last PTA meeting, if you count the PTA officers.

Posted September 8, 2004

It really does not matter how many books the principal has put in the Media Ctr. If the teachers cannot work in the building. How can they use the books? Let alone teach the children.The staff are not leaving the school because they are moving,or going to schools closer to their home. We talk to an awful lot of the staff that have left the building over the past 6 years on a weekly baises. You can call alot of schools/PTAS in Montgomery County and they can tell any parent why the staff are walking out the door on all of these children. We have been in Middle School for 2 years now. We are very happy to put Twinbrook behind us. MCPS used to be the best! What happened to the people that cared about these children?

Posted September 8, 2004

I had a daughter who was in twinbrook for k through 4 and then went to montrose christian. I have another daughter who was there for k -2nd (there now) and i agree with the folks who say there has been real improvement. I would say, however, that i am happy that a number of teachers who have left have gone. Mrs. Lobuts, who has now retired was a wonderful teacher but she had to teach my older daughter to read in 1st grade when her kindergarten teacher (who thank god retired) did nothing with the kids. I think parental involvement is key. Class sizes are amazingly small now and the teachers caring. If this had been the school my now 7th grader was in 4 years ago, we would not have left. Ps, we love Mr. Pain! linda schutjer

Posted August 25, 2004

It s a new school year and once again the teacher turn over is high. It amazes me how many of our older teachers have opted to retire. At least we didn t get a new Assistant Principal. The school has gone through 4 since my children started at the school. But we did achieve Title 1 status this year so we are supposed to get more funding and more staffing. We did get a summer school program. This consisted of playtime with free food, not the educational learning I thought that would go on. Our children were herded though the cafeteria lines to get that head count whether they were eating or not, just to justify the programs success. Thanks for the free daycare. The no child left behind is leaving the more advanced children behind! Too much time is spent playing catch up and trying to re-invent the wheel.

Posted August 25, 2004

This is my 6th year with children at Twinbrook. I have seen this school improve in my time here. As for teacher turnover, since the test scores have gone up, consider that the teacher turnover is perhaps for the better. Teachers leave for all kinds of reasons, some personal, some professional. I have found nothing but help and support for my children here at Twinbrook. As for parent involvement, it's up to each individual parent to choose their level of involvement at the school. By joining the PTA, I've made new friends and learned a lot about what goes on in the school.

Posted August 25, 2004

People come and people go, turn over is high every where why should Twinbrook be any different. I have one daughter in her last year at Twinbrook and things have changed a lot since my first daughter went to Twinbrook. Change is a way of life and you need to accept it and embrace it. Carolyn Cobbs has changed a lot of things since her arrival five years ago. Most of the changes have been positive. For instance look at how the Media Center has changed over the last year. There was a time when there were very few books on the shelves and they were out dated. Now they are full and new. Our children used to bring home photo copies of work daily because there weren t any current textbooks; we now have new updated text books. Thank you for making a difference in my girls lives!

Posted August 21, 2004

We went to enroll our children into Twinbrook. We were shown the curiculim on the school and we informed them that our children were more advanced than this. We were told this curiculim was set up so the other children could catch up! This is outragious! We chose not to enroll them in MCPS at all!

Posted March 26, 2004

Twinbrook has a lot of problems. The amount of teachers that leave the school each year need's to be considered.Also the low test scores. And their policy on bulliying needs to be looked at.

Posted September 22, 2003

The faculty that leaves the school each year needs to be looked at. The school needs after school programs that help strengthen language and math like they did in the previous years. I commend the faculty who volunteer their time for these [activities]. Thank you.

Math

The state average for Math was 82% in 2013.

78 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 83% in 2013.

78 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 89% in 2013.

73 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2013.

74 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2013.

72 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2013.

72 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 17% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 68%N/A42%

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

5911 Ridgeway Ave