Rockville, MD

Posted October 10, 2014
The school has been great. The teachers are warm and welcoming. The new assistant principal is friendly and very involved in all activities. The PTA is very active and holds many events.

Twinbrook Elementary School 1

Posted September 16, 2014
My child attended this school for 2 years and had a horrible experience. He and other classmates were abused by a teacher and he was forced to stay in the classroom with her. The principal couldn't have cared less about the well being of her students and staff. It seems as though Twinbrook gets the worst teachers who are passed because they are horrible teachers. My advice to you is to not let your child attend this school. If you decide to move into the Twinbrook area, pursue private education.

Twinbrook Elementary School 4

Posted February 22, 2014
I have to tell you that I was a little bit skeptical about moving into this neighborhood because of what I've heard from others regarding the school. But I have to tell you my daughter loves it here and she's doing very well in classes. The class sizes are small which I love because of the personal service. There are so many other schools that are overcrowded but that's far from the case here. I'm confident that we've made the right decision because she's going to be other highly rated schools in the not too distant future. It's a Title 1 school but I have not had any problems...I have to wonder about the person that can't spell bullying

Posted June 16, 2013
Let me start this by saying I moved to Rockville for the sole purpose of avoiding public schools in PG county. I have not regretted that decision! My daughter just finished Kindergarten here. Her teacher was stricter than I would have liked, but in the end my child has excelled academically (at almost a 2nd grade reading level now) even if it's caused her to dislike school. Indeed, after a year of games and fun in pre-k, Kindergarten has seemed like boot camp to her. The PTA is great, but lack parent involvement. It always seems to be the same parents at all the events, which is a shame. The Principal communicates by mass email and mass calls every week, plus they send home flyers about every single event coming up. No parent can say with a straight face they didn't know about upcoming events. I liked the variety of art, science, music, PE and media time, but felt the 30 minutes for lunch and 30 minutes for recess (which end up being about 20 minutes each once you are done lining everyone up) are just not enough. On a positive note, I heard that for the 2013-2014 school year Twinbrook is getting promethean boards (interactive white boards) in every classroom, which is great!

Twinbrook Elementary School 1

Posted May 29, 2013
The school needs lots of help. It does not understand bulling nor do they put a stop to it. I know several families including ourselves who were victims of bulling and the school never assumed responsibility for it. I invited an advocate to attend meetings with me and she too was treated poorly at the school. We have left the school with a bitter taste. And my husband and I believe that the high staff turnover and poor scores are also a reflection of the lack of skills the administrator has at this school. I have attended meetings were teachers expressed my child sad emotional state, and the principal a month later told me that she did not understand why we were talking her out of school since she had learn from her teachers that our daughter was very happy in school. And that her friends missed her. Those words were all untrue. I have a report from teachers expressing their concern about my daughter sadness and it had been noted she had no friends. So I think this sheds some light to how the administration responds to things at this school. Oh! and my daughter now it is at a school where the homework has more than doubled. Now I see why this other school scores are higher :)

Posted January 04, 2011
This is my son's first year at Twinbrook.The teachers seem vary caring and so far we have had great experiance.The school work seems chalanging and the class sizes are small so teacher can focus on each child.

Posted April 17, 2010
My daughter started at Twin brook in third grade. The students were welcoming and friendly. The teachers are dedicated. My daughter was able to do advanced math and reading but still be with her friends.

Posted March 17, 2009
Twinbrook ES is an average-to-good school, despite the modest ratings. The additional financing that the school gets really helps ESOL and special needs students. However there are a few low points that one may foresee in the long-term. While this is a good school for foreign students, students who need additional help and special needs, the adequate level of challenge is not clear for advanced students. My daughter had a great start-up but now I feel she's bored and does not get challenged enough. I agree with the previous comment that the longer the child stays, the more average he/she will become. The PTA (Parent-Teacher Association) tries to put a lot of efforts, however the parental envolvement is far from active, and PTA activities seem to be limited to short-term goals. In one word, if you have an option to send your child to a better school, I'd recommend considering it!

Twinbrook Elementary School 2

Posted October 24, 2007
I tried for three years (K-2) to be happy with this school, and I just couldn't. The extra resources for Title 1 status were given to kids that were 'struggling.' If your child is above average academically, the longer they stay, the more average they will become. I transferred to another school in the cluster and two months into the school year, the difference is night and day! All of this being said, there are some great kids and families that go there. Hands down, the worst part was the after-care program. I agree that Floyd Starnes was effective for the year he was there.

Posted May 11, 2007
As the 2006 - 2007 school year draws to a close, I look back fondly at the person who made this year great: Floyd Starnes, principal intern. The school ran well, Mr. Starnes attended school events and actually cared about the kids and their families. Test scores are going up, the kids are reading and writing and everything would be great if Mr. Starnes could stay!

Twinbrook Elementary School
5911 Ridgeway Ave, Rockville, MD  20851
Last modified Twinbrook Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Twinbrook Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 20 reviews. Top