Sherwood High School

Public | 9-12

Posted August 25, 2014

My 3 children all went to Sherwood and were extremely well prepared for college. All 3 got scholarships as a result - in different areas: academic, athletic, and music. Could not have asked for a better school.

Posted May 6, 2014

If you aren't a jock or cheerleader don't bother coming here. Teachers are fairly nice but some teacher obviously don't want to be there. Sherwood cares more about image than anything else. Your just another number to them. My counselor is terrible and most adult there are very vain. Security sucks. My sister who graduated Sherwood from 2006 has managed to walk into school and print somthing out from the libary. She walked right past security and no one said anything, she's looks 15 still but either way that's not okay. I wish they would just fix their security system to make students feel safe.

Posted June 30, 2013

It's awesome! Great teachers, great programs and lots of rigor. Clean and up to date with technology.

Posted May 15, 2013

Sherwood is a somewhat great school. I attended from 2006-2010. I'm current at Towson U. They have some great teachers, while others need to find another job. First of all, Sherwood is "clique". ESOL kids stay together, jocks have a pact, and so on. Trust me...I was one of them. Most students there pour in from Rosa and Farquhar...which pour in from Olney, Belmont, Greenwood, Sherwood, and Brooke Grove. So most of us have been together for years. If you're lucky, you remain friends. Second of all, Sherwood prides itself on academics. They offer a variety of honor and AP courses. Also, they just started a new system where students can choose an area of interest in business, hospitality, engineering, technology, science, arts, or humanities. Apparently, they stay in this area and take courses relating to it for the remainder 4 years. But don't listen to me...I don't go there anymore. There are many academic clubs for students to choose from and the competition makes it even better. Thirdly, sports teams are ok...don't care too much for them. Fourth, diversity is great. Students there are from a variety of cultures. Fifth, our principal is awesome. Lastly, food sucks.

Posted July 23, 2011

Sherwood is a great school academicly but other wise Sherwood is Boring socially. The Pep rallies are boring and to be honest the school is really segregated. The teachers are pretty cool. some of the staff are annoying. overall its an OKAY school.

Posted September 30, 2010

I'm a current student a Sherwood, and I love it! The school has an amazing music program and an amazing sports program. There are a lot of options for honors and AP classes. The teachers are always pushing students to do their best. The principal is a nice man who really cares about everyone in the building. The security is very good, and are only strict if you get into trouble a lot. The only problem I have is that the power goes out rather often, but not for more then half of a day a couple of days a year.

Posted October 11, 2009

great school they actually care if your children are failling they keep a nice safe environment one of the best school they address the problems and look for the best solution the teachers security and the principal are nice. i would very much recommend this school because they come together at the football games and as my kids say they bleed blue warrior blood.

Posted August 14, 2008

Sherwood is a great place to go to school. There are a ton of things to do, and even if you don't participate in most school stuff, like myself, (I only went to dances & several football games) you will still love it there. There are so many amazing teachers, the security guards are nice, it's really a great school :)

Posted March 9, 2008

I went to Sherwood and am currently up North going to college. Sherwood taught to the test way too much. I had one teacher sit down and actually go through the entire test to make sure we new each answer on review day. The school focused too much on image. I felt like a number, not a student. The school focused too much on the end result, not the process of getting there. Life is about what you learn on your path of life. If we all focused on the end result of life (dying) wouldn't that make everything seem kind of pointless? As a future teacher, I am more that happy to be out of Montgomery County. Things are headed way too fast in the wrong direction.

Posted February 22, 2008

I have two kids who graduated from Sherwood. Both were well prepared for highly rated colleges, and graduated with honors. The teachers are great, the courses are challenging. The annual Rock & Roll show brings the students and the community together in a way I've never seen before. My youngest son is now attending the school and is taking several AP courses taught by competent, caring teachers. Sherwood is a well kept secret as far as I'm concerned.

Posted May 31, 2007

I think Sherwood is a very good school with many opportunities to try different types of activities. For the most part the teachers are good. The administration is overly concerned with looks and reports.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 26, 2007

I'm a student from SHS and i think it is the best high school ever. Everyone can fit in easily no matter what your personality is. Sports and music (annual rock and roll revival) are the two major things that matter in my school. If you are not the sporty or the musical one, then there are still a lot of options (clubs) on other fields like arts and academics. Teachers are extremely friendly and a bit strict sometimes so they can challenge the students to their fullest. Overall, it is an excellent school.

Posted September 18, 2006

Our daughter went to Sherwood High her Freshman year. A missed assignment is typically awarded a zero with no opportunity to make up. Students are graded more on reswponsible citizenship rather than scholarship. Social promotion is awarded (no child left behind?) My daughter transferred and is now a sophomore in a boarding school in Virginia at $26,000 per year. Worth every penny. Her best friend similarly transferred to Baylor.

Posted August 25, 2005

Sherwood High has a wonderful academic program with plenty of honors, and AP courses available. The faculty is truly interested in making sure the students are working at their appropriate level...where the student is challenged. The music program is amazing as is the sports program. There also seems to be an abundance of extracurricular activity..something for everyone. I am also impressed by the level of parent involvement. This community is truly devoted to the students.

Posted February 16, 2005

Sherwood is an OK school. It is pretty easy, and the teachers are nice. I played football and baseball so the treatment was fairly good. The new principal is a very nice guy. The worst part of sherwood is the diversity. Sherwood has a large ESOL program, and kids from all over the area feed into the school.

Posted January 28, 2005

Amazing academic programs taught by dedicated and passionate teachers. Sherwood also has a growing number of advanced placement classes that especially beneficial in preparing students for college. Both instrumental and choral, the music programs are the best in the county. High level of parent involvement.

Posted January 11, 2005

I attended Sherwood for 2 years and it was the worst 2 years of my life. If you are not one of the extremely smart or one of the athletic,you are nothing. Sherwood is all about vanity not education, its about the football team and cheerleaders not the classroom. My 2 years at Sherwood damaged my academic career. I just thank my lucky stars my parents had the money to send me to a private school. Sherwood did not care about my success, I was labled a lost cause, However in private school I had a 4.0 GPA my junior and senior years. Unless you want to be a football player or cheerleader, Sherwood is a lost cause.

Posted December 14, 2004

I am an alumni of SHS and am extremely happy with the quality education I received. I feel that it provided a wonderful learning environment with a variety of personalities and teaching styles with a wonderful principal. The diversity of the student population continues to increase and change with each passing year. I feel extremely lucky to have had such a wonderful Guidance counselor, Mr. Loving (who has since retired) and a number of teachers that trully cared about the students best interst.

Posted June 6, 2004

I am a 9th grader at Sherwood highschool and see no problem with it at all. Others have attended our school from other counties or states and have either been moved down to 8th grade or have to take special classes to catch them up with the curriculum(sp)because we go at a faster pace then other counties. With the diversity, I see no problem with how Sherwood is at all. I really dont care about diversity. All it seems to do in our school is create racism. All of the black kids in our school seem to think every white kid hates them. As I walk down the halls they call me a stupid white kid and insult me. This has happened to other white children in my school as well. I myself am not racist, but this attitude by the colored students has turned some other students into racists.

Posted March 26, 2004

Im not a Parent I am I current Student, I strongly disagree with the lady that stated her opinion. The only Fault that Sherwood may have..is that it isnt Diverse. other that that its a good school. and I have recived Quality Education from it! -teri'04'

Grade level

Algebra

The state average for Algebra was 84% in 2013.

489 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 83% in 2013.

487 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 83% in 2013.

498 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Maryland used the Maryland High School Assessments (HSA) to test students in English 2, Algebra, and Biology upon completion of each course. The HSA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Maryland. Students are required to pass the tests in order to graduate. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

Source: Maryland State Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 11% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 14%N/A42%

Teacher resources

Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Health & athletics

• Access to sports fields
  • Gym
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Staff resources available to students
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options

• Tennis
  • Track
  • Volleyball
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

300 Olneysandy Spring Rd