Severn Elementary School

Public | K-5

Posted June 11, 2013

Overall, this is a great school. There are some excellent, educated and devoted teachers at this school. The curriculum is strong and my child seems to be thriving. The principal is very involved and communicates often with the families. That being said, I have seen during lunch and recess, teachers yelling and degrading the students, many of which are only in Kindergarten or 1st grade. I also see problems with parent involvement, as the PTA is virtually non-existent, with only a handful of parents showing up at any given meeting..

Posted August 6, 2010

The school seems to be average. Some teachers are really good. At least 1 is not. This teacher unnecessarily intimidates the children and frequently excessively scolds thems for petty reasons. This teacher makes children face walls with feet spread, placing their hands on the wall police suspect style. Even if it's a freezing cold brick wall in the shade outside during wintertime. Other teachers witnessing this have not been dutiful enough to report this very inappropriate practice.

Posted July 19, 2010

I currently have 2 children attending this school. The teachers are professional and caring. They attend many after school events and have a great rapport with the students. This is a diverse population and the teachers meet the needs of all students. Many teachers go out of their way to help students be successful. The use of technology is steadily increasing. The Principal is always available with a smile on her face. I highly recommend this school. Also, the after school events planned by the PTA have been very enjoyable social functions.

Posted June 23, 2010

My experience is with kindergarten and first grade. The teachers were concerned about the curriculum, involved with children, and open to discussion with parents. The principal is involved with the children and with parents. I'd prefer to see more opportunities for parents to be involved. I'd also like to see even more information shared with parents on the school's website, not just with system-generated phone calls.

Posted May 7, 2009

We moved to Severn from a private school and despites all doubts, the experience has been more than we could ever imagined. Our kids have just blossomed!

Posted November 6, 2008

I have been involved with Severn for over 8 years. I have one daughter in the 5th grade and one that is in High School now. Many parents don t know that some of the teachers at Severn keeps track of kids past the 5th grade and until the day that graduate. Severn has more kids that continue their honor roll grade to middle and high school levels. After every grading period there are some time more honor roll students that graduated from Severn 2 to 1 or 3 to 1 than any other school that are joined into the middle and high school levels. I must say from the level of the Principle down work very hard to keep Severn on top. It is also, great to have parent s that understands it takes a school community to work together. The more members we have on the PTA, the more we can help the school to become better.

Posted June 2, 2008

I have been very pleased with the education that my children have received this year at Severn. We are military and moved here from overseas. I have one child with Aspergers and have been thrilled with the teaching and support staff. My child has received all of the support and encouragment that I could wish for this year. I feel that the staff has really worked to get him more independant and ready for middle school. I was worried about the teaching pods (3 classes together)...but soon realized that the children benefit from switching teachers and have a chance to experience different teaching styles. I am amazed that this school offers free music lessons..my son is taking violin and loves it! There are also several after school clubs for the kids to join. This is a great school with a positive attitude, lots of parent support and a wonderful staff.

Posted March 4, 2008

I have 4 children attending Severn. This is our 2nd year at this school, and I have to say I am impressed with the principal, teachers, and even the nurses. I find that the teachers seem to genuinely care about the students and find ways to foster their growth and success. However, there seems to be a militant atmosphere at times...especially during lunch. I wish there could be a more positive approach to disciplining and directing children. Also, I'm not sure if I am a fan of the shared classrooms, but I guess that's the norm for most of the AACS...my older girls don't seem to mind, but this may be a distraction for younger children (overstimulation). I have had some minor issues re: my children which were promptly and professionally addressed by Ms. Williams. I look forward to becoming more involved and urge other parents to do the same!

Posted March 6, 2007

My kindergartner is progressing nicely. He's reading on a beginner 1st grade level. There are programs to get the family involved during school and after school. I'm very pleased.

Posted October 30, 2006

When a child looks forward to going to school, to my family and I that says it all. Children know when they are treated as little people. With respect, understanding and devotion. That is what my children see when they attend their school. And I will recommend it to any parent that is concerned with any aspect of their children education.

Posted May 1, 2006

The staff at Severn Elementary have proven time and time again that they are willing to 'go the extra mile' for any child in need. I currently have one child with special needs - Asperger's syndrome and have had nothing less than success in working with them. I have another, older child also with Asperger's syndrome and have seen what can happen when the staff are not willing to put themselves out there. It is important for all parents to remember, we live with these children 24/7, the staff only have them for 8 hours a day. It is our responsibility to work with them with the goal being the success of our child in the world outside the safety of our homes. Mrs. Williams, Mrs. Krause, Ms Harvey, Mrs Dawn White, Ms DeeDee Berry and Ms Henson among others have proven invaluable! I encourage you to look at this school!

Posted June 7, 2005

In STARK CONTRAST to the previous posting, my wife and I have found that Severn Elementary has provided our family with all of the support and information that we needed to help our son with his particular need. Mrs. Williams, Mrs. Webber and the rest of the IEP staff were no further than a phone call away for any of our concerns and were always extremely caring & professional in the thoughtful and thorough assistance that they offered our family. Our son has done a complete 180 degree turn and has been recognized this term as an HONOR ROLL STUDENT. I have to add as a parent that it is imperative to do your part in aggressively facilitating the initiation of gaining the school's support for your concern for your child. The parents also have to do their part in teaching the child and providing proper focus/guidance at home.

Posted March 15, 2004

In my experience with this school they are not equipt to handle students with special needs (learning discibilities). My son started there in first grade a they determined that he had a learning discibility and start a special program design base on his needs. He graduated from there and has not shown that much improvement which the lead me to believe would accur. He also fell behind in math which was he very strong in. The teachers were very nice. But they were not equip to handle children with special needs. I never heard about a success case.

Math

The state average for Math was 82% in 2013.

64 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 83% in 2013.

64 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 89% in 2013.

84 students were tested at this school in 2013.

>=95%
Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2013.

84 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2013.

72 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 6% 6%

Language learning

Foreign languages taught
  • Japanese
Note: Data provided by community members,
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Foreign languages taught
  • Japanese

Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only
Note: Data provided by community members,
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

838 Reece Rd