Severn, MD
Before care: Yes

Posted June 11, 2013
Overall, this is a great school. There are some excellent, educated and devoted teachers at this school. The curriculum is strong and my child seems to be thriving. The principal is very involved and communicates often with the families. That being said, I have seen during lunch and recess, teachers yelling and degrading the students, many of which are only in Kindergarten or 1st grade. I also see problems with parent involvement, as the PTA is virtually non-existent, with only a handful of parents showing up at any given meeting..

Severn Elementary School 3

Posted August 06, 2010
The school seems to be average. Some teachers are really good. At least 1 is not. This teacher unnecessarily intimidates the children and frequently excessively scolds thems for petty reasons. This teacher makes children face walls with feet spread, placing their hands on the wall police suspect style. Even if it's a freezing cold brick wall in the shade outside during wintertime. Other teachers witnessing this have not been dutiful enough to report this very inappropriate practice.

Posted July 19, 2010
I currently have 2 children attending this school. The teachers are professional and caring. They attend many after school events and have a great rapport with the students. This is a diverse population and the teachers meet the needs of all students. Many teachers go out of their way to help students be successful. The use of technology is steadily increasing. The Principal is always available with a smile on her face. I highly recommend this school. Also, the after school events planned by the PTA have been very enjoyable social functions.

Posted May 07, 2009
We moved to Severn from a private school and despites all doubts, the experience has been more than we could ever imagined. Our kids have just blossomed!

Posted November 06, 2008
I have been involved with Severn for over 8 years. I have one daughter in the 5th grade and one that is in High School now. Many parents don t know that some of the teachers at Severn keeps track of kids past the 5th grade and until the day that graduate. Severn has more kids that continue their honor roll grade to middle and high school levels. After every grading period there are some time more honor roll students that graduated from Severn 2 to 1 or 3 to 1 than any other school that are joined into the middle and high school levels. I must say from the level of the Principle down work very hard to keep Severn on top. It is also, great to have parent s that understands it takes a school community to work together. The more members we have on the PTA, the more we can help the school to become better.

Severn Elementary School 0

Posted June 02, 2008
I have been very pleased with the education that my children have received this year at Severn. We are military and moved here from overseas. I have one child with Aspergers and have been thrilled with the teaching and support staff. My child has received all of the support and encouragment that I could wish for this year. I feel that the staff has really worked to get him more independant and ready for middle school. I was worried about the teaching pods (3 classes together)...but soon realized that the children benefit from switching teachers and have a chance to experience different teaching styles. I am amazed that this school offers free music lessons..my son is taking violin and loves it! There are also several after school clubs for the kids to join. This is a great school with a positive attitude, lots of parent support and a wonderful staff.

Posted March 04, 2008
I have 4 children attending Severn. This is our 2nd year at this school, and I have to say I am impressed with the principal, teachers, and even the nurses. I find that the teachers seem to genuinely care about the students and find ways to foster their growth and success. However, there seems to be a militant atmosphere at times...especially during lunch. I wish there could be a more positive approach to disciplining and directing children. Also, I'm not sure if I am a fan of the shared classrooms, but I guess that's the norm for most of the AACS...my older girls don't seem to mind, but this may be a distraction for younger children (overstimulation). I have had some minor issues re: my children which were promptly and professionally addressed by Ms. Williams. I look forward to becoming more involved and urge other parents to do the same!

Posted March 06, 2007
My kindergartner is progressing nicely. He's reading on a beginner 1st grade level. There are programs to get the family involved during school and after school. I'm very pleased.

Posted October 30, 2006
When a child looks forward to going to school, to my family and I that says it all. Children know when they are treated as little people. With respect, understanding and devotion. That is what my children see when they attend their school. And I will recommend it to any parent that is concerned with any aspect of their children education.

Posted May 19, 2006

Severn Elementary School
838 Reece Rd, Severn, MD  21144
Last modified Severn Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Severn Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 14 reviews. Top