Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

Handles bullying effectively: Disagree

PRO: The staff teaches diversity, acceptance and courtesy to one another, and education of many cultures, as the demographics for this school are greatly mixed. CON: However, the staff addresses issues they are aware of, but many go unaddressed as more attention needs to be given and the staff is unaware of issues (our kids fill us in!). I have witnessed and experienced rude treatment among parents to other parents at functions as well, racist behavior included, and I suppose children learn what they see and are taught. This area needs work.

Supports LD students: Agree

Probably too much. The children that are already meeting the standards, or are above average, are penalized and left to work by themselves/entertain themselves while the teachers dedicate all of their extra time to those that are having difficulties (or those with behavior issues. I think classes should be grouped more toward ability levels or those with learning difficulties get extra assistance after class/school if it is an ongoing issue. There needs to be more resources for these children so the whole class does not become affected over time.

A 3-star at best. The schools in this area get poor school ratings on legitimate school rated sites (not parent-rated like this one). PROS: I have 2 children that attend/have attended this school, and can say they were lucky to have good teachers that excelled above the majority here. The Admin staff is pleasant and accommodating. Principal and many teachers genuinely care about educating students make the effort, but seem to feel limited in resources and poor curriculum requirements from the school system as some have expressed. CONS: Lack of parental involvement and participation (in school and at home with practice/homework is evident at functions and performances). Teacher instruction is there, parental reinforcement as a whole, is not, and it shows. :-( Several children in several classes have behavior issues and are just tolerated and passed along (remember...no child left behind!), so teachers spend most of their time with these students and the more advanced students or focused ones are left to teach and entertain themselves. PARCC (which replaced the MSAs) scores are low, STEM and other Magnet programs have low acceptance into middle schools because of the poor performance. This school needs a lot of work to raise its scores and ratings, but it will be a challenge over the next few years given the demographics of the area (military, transient students, lower income housing, lack of involvement from parents) and the high crime rate in the area which affects the housing market and influx of people. Many residents in this district enroll their children in private or charter schools for better educational opportunities. My child is about to graduate elementary school and cannot tell me where certain states are located, who the VP of the U. S. is, do long division and other standard level math problems, or even name the capital of Maryland! Very disappointing. Our 3rd child attends private school, and the difference is remarkable. enrolled in AP classes, is excelling far beyond our 2 in the public school system, and is being groomed for top colleges in the U.S. I wish I could afford to send all 3 to private schools. Sorry, Severn...I see potential in the staff here, but the school system and area limit this school from achieving above average ratings. Best of luck in the future.

Overall, this is a great school. There are some excellent, educated and devoted teachers at this school. The curriculum is strong and my child seems to be thriving. The principal is very involved and communicates often with the families. That being said, I have seen during lunch and recess, teachers yelling and degrading the students, many of which are only in Kindergarten or 1st grade. I also see problems with parent involvement, as the PTA is virtually non-existent, with only a handful of parents showing up at any given meeting..

The school seems to be average. Some teachers are really good. At least 1 is not. This teacher unnecessarily intimidates the children and frequently excessively scolds thems for petty reasons. This teacher makes children face walls with feet spread, placing their hands on the wall police suspect style. Even if it's a freezing cold brick wall in the shade outside during wintertime. Other teachers witnessing this have not been dutiful enough to report this very inappropriate practice.

I currently have 2 children attending this school. The teachers are professional and caring. They attend many after school events and have a great rapport with the students. This is a diverse population and the teachers meet the needs of all students. Many teachers go out of their way to help students be successful. The use of technology is steadily increasing. The Principal is always available with a smile on her face. I highly recommend this school. Also, the after school events planned by the PTA have been very enjoyable social functions.

My experience is with kindergarten and first grade. The teachers were concerned about the curriculum, involved with children, and open to discussion with parents. The principal is involved with the children and with parents. I'd prefer to see more opportunities for parents to be involved. I'd also like to see even more information shared with parents on the school's website, not just with system-generated phone calls.

We moved to Severn from a private school and despites all doubts, the experience has been more than we could ever imagined. Our kids have just blossomed!

I have been involved with Severn for over 8 years. I have one daughter in the 5th grade and one that is in High School now. Many parents don t know that some of the teachers at Severn keeps track of kids past the 5th grade and until the day that graduate. Severn has more kids that continue their honor roll grade to middle and high school levels. After every grading period there are some time more honor roll students that graduated from Severn 2 to 1 or 3 to 1 than any other school that are joined into the middle and high school levels. I must say from the level of the Principle down work very hard to keep Severn on top. It is also, great to have parent s that understands it takes a school community to work together. The more members we have on the PTA, the more we can help the school to become better.

I have been very pleased with the education that my children have received this year at Severn. We are military and moved here from overseas. I have one child with Aspergers and have been thrilled with the teaching and support staff. My child has received all of the support and encouragment that I could wish for this year. I feel that the staff has really worked to get him more independant and ready for middle school. I was worried about the teaching pods (3 classes together)...but soon realized that the children benefit from switching teachers and have a chance to experience different teaching styles. I am amazed that this school offers free music lessons..my son is taking violin and loves it! There are also several after school clubs for the kids to join. This is a great school with a positive attitude, lots of parent support and a wonderful staff.

Last modified Severn Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.