Severna Park, MD
Students enrolled: 1,430

Posted January 18, 2014
The complaint about "lazy teachers" minimizing workload and maximizing salary is beyond belief. The math teachers are available during lunch, after school, and hold special classes until 4 o'clock on Thursdays to make sure all kids are mastering -not just passing- their learning goals. It hurts me to think someone would sling mud at them. The school has one of the highest functional-test math scores in the state. You don't get that from "lazy teachers." The band teacher is spread beyond thin with responsibilities in areas outside of music and is quite knowledgeable. Go onto YouTube and check out the orchestra and the festival and jazz bands (he conducts them ALL) and you'll be impressed.

Severna Park Middle School 2

Posted November 10, 2013
Too many lazy math teachers here to give it a good review - scantron sheets for geometry, really?. Most parents seem to get tutors for math so their children can learn, instead of relying on the teachers who don't understand math to just repeat what they see on their answer sheet. The language teachers have been great, as my child learned more in 2 years than I did in 4 years at high school. My child had some great and some OK English and science teachers. The band instructor is horrible and its frustrating to listen to him tell us how great he is. Some of the extra classes they have that teach cooking, sewing, finance, etc are well done. It's such a huge school that most teachers focus on trying to minimize workload and maximize salary while not concerning themselves with educating the children.

Posted August 12, 2012
I am product of SPMS; I graduated in 1987 and I think I turned out pretty well. My very bright son just went through SPMS and had a positive experience. He is not going on to SPHS because he was accepted to the STEM program at South River (Yay!!) The SPMS facility is newly renovated, the course work is generally rigorous and my son snagged credit for 3 HS classes there (Algebra I, Geometry and Chinese I.) He also learned to play the guitar! The biggest criticism of the school has to do with the area...your kid needs to be bright, athletic, nice looking and well dressed or they may be picked on. That is a tough situation for a kid that doesn't fall into that narrow category. That is a tough one and I was tempted to give the school 4 out of 5 stars for it, but I feel that it is the fault of the community...it was like that when I was there. So do your kid a favor and get them some nice shoes and a cool haircut and a heads up about the fact that "cool" is being kind to everyone, even the people it is easier to tease...and your little darling will be just fine.
2 people found this helpful

Severna Park Middle School 3

Posted April 16, 2012
I'm not entirely sure how to rate SPMS? We moved here from the West Coast and decided on SPMS mainly due to all the great reviews we read on greatschools. However, our experience has not been positive thus far. The entire school is solely focused on academic achievement - high pressure and stress is an understatement. In our opinion, the teachers and faculty care nothing for the emotional well-being of their students, strong academic scores are their only concern. The faculty is unresponsive to phone calls or emails about our children. When we did finally contact the faculty regrading our children's adjustment and emotional well being, they spent 30 minutes telling our children they need to study harder. Notes from our children - As others have said, this school is highly cliquish. Most kids do not accept outsiders and actually ridicule them. Drugs use and sexual activity is considerably higher than what we experienced on the West Coast. At this point, we feel this school is very strong academically but very weak on morals, values and ethics from the faculty to the student body. Knowing what we know now, we would have not moved to SP.
2 people found this helpful

Severna Park Middle School 4

Posted June 19, 2011
this school is in need of administrative change. the same prinicpal and at least one of the vice-principals have been there since the mid-90's. the principal does not seem to be very involved with the students, looks like she is afraid to get her hair and clothes messed up! The staff i have interacted with (with exception of band teacher, who stated to a roomful of parents:"I am a musician first and a teacher second)! are really great teachers, who are caring towrad the children. They are not really free to be creative with their teaching because of the tests required and expected high grades. There are way too many children in the school. I

Severna Park Middle School 2

Posted October 29, 2010
this school okay.. i have seen bullying but not experienced it myself. it is diverse... personality wise, bullying is always the same, a kid calls u fat or ugly and its only categorized under bullying if u take it to heart... i myself have been called a lot of names since i started in 6th grade but i brush it off and call them a name... key thing to remember in this school: the golden rule, treat others as u would want to be treated and if want to go to this school and be sensitive, make weekly plans to see a guidance counselor but Mr. Cummiskey the chorus teacher rocks!!!

Severna Park Middle School 4

Posted March 05, 2010
I am a student at spms me and my friends are harry potter freaks. Yes are school is probably the cliquest school on the east coast but that is okay because everyone fits in some way or another. We do all own 'Vera Bradley ' stuff but lots of kids dont and thats okay. My friend wears a Harry potter cloak to school all the time and know one says anything to her. Yes there is a popular croud but they arent all that different. THey still talk to people who arent in that group. The school is brand knew and the academics are great so are the teachers(well most of them) ps if u r in 7th grade then the best team to b on is the north stars. also mr addis and mr cserveck are the best

Severna Park Middle School 3

Posted July 19, 2009
i attend severna park middle and i, personally, have not found my experience very enjoyable. the education program is all right, though i am under the impression that high test scores matter more than what u actually learn. i don't like the current principal very much (no offense!). socially u will not fit in and be popular unless u are one of the four things: 1. possesing a vera bradley mini backpack, ugg boots, and hollister clothes. 2. are extremely beautiful 3. are rich and preppy 4. act 'ghetto' but are really upper class. these statements all come from my own personal experiences and are not intended to offend anyone. who knows ur experience may b totally different.

Severna Park Middle School 1

Posted May 28, 2009
I am a student at spms and have found it to be the most snobbish and cliquey school i have ever enrolled in. yes the education programs are incredible they have algebra two students in 8th grade but I have been plagued by bullies from the start and have not had a kind word said to me since my first week here and i've only been here two months my parents are going to enroll me into a new high school next year Aside from that the competition to get into sports is huge, my aggravation at this school system beg any parent that is thinking of putting their kid in spms to know that breaking into, eighth grade at least, is impossible I haven't smiled for five weeks

Posted January 07, 2009
this is the best school i have ever been 2 i would not b happy at any other school we have great after school activites and if u sign up for 1 u have 2 go 2 enviormental science with mr phillp is is sooo funny adn he plays jimmy buffet songs on his gutairs . are school has an excellent reputation and we recently had the governor martian o'malley come 2 r school. if u want your kidz 2 get a good education then this is the place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Severna Park Middle School
450 Jumpers Hole Rd, Severna Park, MD  21146
Last modified Severna Park Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Severna Park Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 22 reviews. Top