No rating

St. John the Evangelist School

Private | K-8 | 516 students

Our school is best known for its academic excellence.

Living in Severna Park

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $449,300. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,720.

Posted April 10, 2014

We have three kids at the school and we have been extremely impressed with the time and attention the teachers give to the students -- their academics as well as their values and morals. My children are being challenged to reach higher levels of math, focus on their writing skills, science, and so much more. I think the Prayer Partner program which pairs older students with younger students is such a great way to have younger kids model older students' behavior and have older student learn responsibility and being a role model. It also builds relationships across grades. We feel there is also a great community among the parents and a feeling of shared values.

Posted April 9, 2014

St. Johns school is an amazing school on varoius levels! It is absolutley worth every dime and sacrafice made to send my children there. to I have a son who graduted from there and is now in a Cathiolic secondary school thriving!! I also have an elementary daughter who is at St. Johns is is having a wonderful expereince academically, socially, and spiritually. The teachers and staff have an authentic interest in each childs developement and are consistently aware of any changes which need to be made to ehance your childs development whether academically or socailly. I feel it is a blessing to be part of a community centered on the children and parents and supported in faith and enthusiasm!!! The school also strives to meet the changing needs of students and parents through its stategic planning. Their updated technologies include smartboards in every room and even even mini I-Pads for the children to use in certain grades! The children love it! I highly recommend this school for any parent interested in the all around development , happiness and success of thier children. The entire family benefits greatly by being a member of the St. Johns community!

Posted April 9, 2014

St Johns is an amazing school. It is such a great community. We have three children who have grown, learned and thrived there. The teachers are wonderful, and address each kid with kindness and respect. It is a great environment that teaches values, faith, spirituality - and outstanding academics. Our kids have repeated tested in the top 10% of the national standardized tests, but more importantly they have learned to live their values. We are grateful to the administration and teachers of St Johns for all the time and effort they give to each child at the school

Posted April 9, 2014

St. Johns was the perfect school for my son and daughter to attend. The teachers were great and the curriculum level offered was much higher than a regular public school. Both of my children are in high school now and they are both exceling in AP and honors classes. If grooming your child for high school and college is important to you, St. Johns is the school for you and your children.

Posted April 9, 2014

I have had three kids go to this school, and the staff is very concerned about the individual students and their needs. The Christian values that are reinforced are a must have for this generation, and the world they are being raised in!

Posted April 7, 2014

Worst school ever. Teachers are emotionally and psychologically harmful to the children. Administration does not care and is more concerned about their egos and running the ship with an iron hand. Children should be seen and not heard philosophy. God help you if you have an active or enthusiastic boy that does not quickly conform to the role of a boring stepford robot child as required by the teachers. They are just horrible. I cannot say it enough. Save your money, send your child to the public schools and also get a better, higher level education since they actually teach to your child's level, unlike St. John's.

Posted February 28, 2014

In my opinion: What I experienced was anti-male sexist holier than thou Catholicism at its pinnacle. I do not believe they know what it means to be Christian. The teachers and the administration will not take responsibility for anything. If you have an issue of any kind it will be your child's fault or your fault - NEVER theirs. They know everything and do not care about your opinion. Do your children a favor and send them to the absolutely wonderful public schools just down the road. A lot of us have done just that.

Posted February 7, 2013

As a parent of 4 St. John students I will say that this school provides everthing we look for in a catholic, plus more! The teachers go above and beyond to reach each and every student. The lessons in values and faith are not just taught, they are demonstrated by every teacher in their words, their actions and their beliefs. My children who have graduated from St. John the Evangelist often say how well prepared they were entering into highschool. They really value their time spent there!

Posted February 7, 2013

I am a parent with a current student and a child that graduated from St. John a few years ago. St. John's has provided an excellent education for my children. Students also develop spiritually thru attending weekly mass, service and other activities. What sets St. John apart is the wonderful dedicated teachers and staff. They truly care about the children. The principal Sister Linda knows every student by name and wants the best for them. St. John also has a strong community environment for both students and parents.

Posted February 6, 2013

As parents, we are very fortunate to have a principal and teachers at St John the Evangelist School who are dedicated to providing children with a quality Catholic Education. Our principal was named 2012 Archidoces Of Baltimore Principal of the Year. The school is a recipient of the 2008 National Blue Ribbon Award as well. Each of our four sons ages (twelve and under) enrolled at St John"s benefit daily from these many achievements in academic excellence the school has achieved. There is the chance to attend Weekly Mass together as a School Family. The Sisters of St Joseph Convent located on our school campus grounds and children are blessed by the daily interaction and contact with these dedicated Nuns. By attending St John's, we are confident that our children will be better prepared academically, spiritually and emotionally for both their future educational and life experiences.

Posted January 21, 2013

This is a great school! We are parents of 3 children at St John and are overwhelmingly happy with the school. Our oldest, a graduate attends an academically challenging high school and has been extremely well prepared; certainly academically, but in organization, confidence and most importantly character. Our other children have blossomed as students, challenged in a way that has brought them to realize the excitement in their own capacity to learn and the success from hard work. The dedicated and experienced administration and teachers are professional, communicative and most of all caring, where the children are valued, each as unique and gifted. All of this works in a Catholic community of enormous hospitality where there are many opportunities to participate in the enrichment of the school and develop lasting relationships with the families of your children s peers. The school continues to have stable enrollment. The few who leave are mostly due to career relocation and have difficulty replacing all of the good things that exist here. Even among very good public schools, this is a clear and definite value. We cannot say enough of the benefits of this Catholic education.

Posted January 7, 2013

I took my child out of this school in the past year, along with several other long term parents who also took their children out of the school who were not satisfied with the lack of concern for the children displayed by the administration and a few of the teachers. The administration is more focused on what the community thinks about them rather than addressing the needs of the children. There is little room for adequate or healthy social development at the school. Parents that contribute a lot of money or time to the school virtually run the school and decide who the children will even friend at the school. Most of the people at this school are not even from the Severna Park area - but rather Pasadena. People in Severna Park know that the public schools are better and they don't have to pay for a good education. Many parents with kids still at the school feel this way but are just too afraid to change schools for fear that it may be worse elsewhere. At least one teacher is a known bully to one student in her class each year and the administration does nothing about it to really address the problem.

Posted January 5, 2013

I went to this school the past two years and it was one of the worst experiences of my life. I felt traumatized on so many different levels. The teachers are bullies, especially with boys, and very negative. All they wanted to do was find fault and attack me verbally. This was confusing for me as I was very young. I didn't even want to go to school for the first time in my life and I was always a good student. I even had straight A's in the highest classes, with good conduct and good effort marks in all of my classes. Parents don't sent your children to St. John's, and parents listen to what your children are telling you about what is really happening there right now. It's true.

Posted September 21, 2012

St. Johns is a great, caring learning environment for my children. We are very pleased with the kid's teachers, and appreciate how dedicated the principal is to the school and kids. We especially appreciate the lack of drama, which we had a great deal of at our previous school. This is clearly due to the principal. The school is a warm and quality community with great participation from families, and support from the school and parish leadership.

Posted August 2, 2012

I really love this school. The church is so involved with the school and all the teachers are highly qualified. I could not want a better school. The school is very diverse to be so small. I was welcomed with open arms and the staff and teachers are willing to work with you. If you are deciding which Catholic school is right for your family, look no further! I love this school along with my kids and family!

Posted February 19, 2012

I am a St. John's graduate, and am now close to graduating college. I attended St. John's for 6 years and throughout those years I had good experiences, but mostly felt (along with siblings/friends/family) that the administration was cold and unable to accurately understand the true needs of their students. In my experience I was spoken to in a very unprofessional manor, and instead of problems being brought to the attention of my parents, administration would be very superficial and minimize any problem so they would not look bad. I personally would never think about sending my child to St. John's and I know my parent's have their regrets about it too. I wish I had better things to say about it, but for the yearly tuition being paid, disappointment is an understatement.

Posted February 1, 2011

This is a good school with good ties to the faith and with some good education programs. Most of the teachers really care about the whole student and not just the academic part of the student's lives. The administration needs to put an emphasis on student programs like those against bullying. Overall, we have a good school, but the students of our school would be better served with a new administration that has new and fresh ideas.

Posted April 24, 2010

It is a Blue Ribbon school with excellent teachers, a faith community that is strong and very supportive parents.

Posted May 28, 2009

I attent St John's now and I'm very happy with it. I've learned many things that I will keep close to me until I'm a grownup. I'm in sixth grade and we have great teachers. I haven't had a bad teacher yet! I hope to continue with St. John's until I'm in 8th grade! I love this school and highly recomend it! I would also like to say how proud I am to be part of a Blue Ribbon School, and that we are a Green School too!
—Submitted by a student

Posted July 28, 2008

I love this school! My family has been in it for 3 generations! Everyone is nice and you can meet and befreind the teachers. No one is left out of the activities. I am taught by the best teachers and I have never thought of another school. I have never been to a different school. Everyone will agree!
—Submitted by a student

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 6%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Nurse(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Reading specialist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Girls on the run

Gifted & talented

• Acceleration

School start time
  • 8:10 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Sister Linda Larsen, SSJ, Principal
Best ways for parents to contact the school
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 4 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NAEYC
  • NCEA
Fax number
  • (410) 431-5438

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• None
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Performance stage

Performing arts
  • Drama
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Boy scouts

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom

Apply now

What are your chances?

10 out of 10students were accepted for the 2012-2013 school year.

Students accepted for the 2012-2013 school year
133
Applications received for the 2012-2013 school year
140
Students typically come from these schools
Anne Arundel PreSchools

Vouchers accepted
Financial aid offered
School-based aid

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Archbishop Spalding High School