Severna Park, MD

Posted June 25, 2014
Severn School has offered my children (in elementary school) a wonderful academic experience and rich character development. Many of the reviews (some almost 10 years old) below talk about preparedness for college, but it's important to note that this school is for preschool (age 3) through grade 12 now. Students are helpful and respectful. Teachers are beloved and some have been teaching at the school for several for decades. Severn has created innovative ways to cultivate young readers and creators, and they work with each child on their specific needs. There are high expectations for being "leaders of good choices" and working toward each child's best self through character development. A program for 4th and 5th graders layers on arts, drama, and technology and culminates in a dramatic production performed in the school's beautiful theater. The gym is bright and large and there is a large playground and playing fields for pickup soccer games at recess. The teachers and facilities are really incredible for an elementary school, and there are so many parents involved. Can't say enough great things!

Posted September 21, 2013
Severn is a great school. Both of my daughters have attended the school since the sixth grade. They are now in the 9th and 11th grades. The school is nurturing, challenging, and rigorous. They are always busy doing homework and projects. Homework averages about 4-5 hours per night. They both are also on the sailing team. As a parent and educator, I am very stubborn when it comes to the education of my children. However, Severn exceeds my expectations. Both of my daughters have traveled to Europe. We have also hosted an Italian student. My daughters attend school with a diverse group of students. The teachers are all so caring and involved. The administration is amazing. There are a variety of social and academic events for the students and parents. I highly recommend Severn.

Posted April 27, 2013
My daughter is a current middle school student at Severn. She loves school and her instructors. The teachers and administration are outstanding, supportive, and nurturing. The academics are rigorous with an average of 3 hours of homework nightly. My daughter has taken advantage of the many leadership opportunities offered at Severn. I would highly recommend Severn School.

Severn School 3

Posted November 03, 2012
There is no doubt that Severn has a fabulous academic track record, but there are some things to remember before applying. As a student myself, I can tell you that if your child is not interested in sports or is an athletic person do not consider Severn. In 6th grade P.E. occurs everyday, and for every other grade, a sport is required! I, personally, hate sports and being made to do sports has been TERRIBLE! Practice occurs everyday after school, which can lead to getting behind on the extreme amount of homework. A student in the middle school has an average of 2 to 3 hours of homework. A student in the high school will have anywhere from 3 to 5 hours of homework (depending on Honors courses etc.). On the social side of things, Severn is a school filled with some wonderful kids. However, prepare your kid(s) for the realization that many of the kids will already know each other! As a student coming in from a school other than Chesapeake Bay Academy was very difficult. The cliques and groups were already created. I would estimate that 75% of the kids are from Chesapeake. I hope this helped!

Severn School 4

Posted June 04, 2011
I'm a current 8th grade student at Severn (until Wednesday!!!). My middle school experience was pretty good...academically. I feel that since my 6th grade year the school has become too strict with its rules and my nonacademic experience has gotten progressively worse. I feel like the faculty does N O T H I N G to prevent cliques and have no idea how much exclusion there is. The amount foul language used in and out of the classroom is outrageous. Academically Severn is great. I love my school but one of their goals for next year should be to control the cliques, gossip, and social exclusion.

Posted June 02, 2011
I am a student at Severn right now in the 10th grade. It is a very good school and all the teachers are very nice and helpful. If you ask them to stay after school with you that day, about 95% of the teachers will be able to stay and give you extra help. Evne though the high school is hard, I am very well prepared to go to college in a few years!

Posted February 09, 2011
my two college students - both graduates of Severn - have each reported that they feel very well prepared fro college and, in the majority of cases, are much better equipped to handle school than most of their peers. My first semester freshmen got a 4.0! Thank you, Severn!

Severn School 3

Posted September 13, 2010
Teachers seem very good, administration seems to want to use Severn as a springboard to something better.

Posted July 24, 2010
I've been going to Severn since 6th grad =e and I just graduated the 12th grade. My overall experience was great. The small classes, teacher/ parent involvment, and excellent leadership makes Severn School one of the best schools in the county.

Posted February 17, 2010