Sligo Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 430 students

Posted March 24, 2013

Sligo is an improving school. My older daughter went there and lunch was a chaotic. My son is not there and lunch is enjoyable. Although there are new math teachers, my son is having a much better time in math than my daughter. The math teachers expect more but are willing to help the students. My experience with the principal has been limited but positive. The World History teacher, Ms. Chichester is wonderful as is the Spanish teacher and instrumental music teacher. I've heard many parents complain, but I don't know what they are doing to improve the school. My son is doing well and is a happy, healthy child. I appreciate the hard work that the teachers do at this school. My friend has a special needs students and she is very happy with the school. She says her child has a much easier time than in elementary school. My daughter is doing well in high school, except math. I know my son will have an easier time in high school math because his math teacher is making sure he understands the content. I thank principal and staff at the school for continuing to improve the school. My son is making new friends every day.

Posted September 20, 2012

The school is deteriorating. My elder just got through, "endured the year" as one parent wrote. He's now back to his old self. My second is in 7th and I can't imagine 2 more years here. Echo all the parents who talk about discipline; it's low level and rude language and completely disrupts instruction time and the administration won't help. Teachers leave the school in droves -- highest turnover I've ever seen. Test scores are lowest in county. The principal is very polished and puts on a good show, but I don't think he can lead. The best ever English teacher retired; spanish teacher still great. Band teacher is a rock. Echo that there is no grouping by GT in science or social studies; but not much rigor in the other true GT classes. But if the last few good teachers we know leave, so do we. Very sad. Looking at options and ready to pull out at midyear if need be.

Posted March 20, 2012

My child is currently at Sligo and I am requesting a transfer to another school. While the school has some great teachers - the band teacher is wonderful - my child has been bullied so extensively and pervasively that I no longer feel my child is safe at the school. There appears to be a culture of bullying at the school. The assistant administrator has tried to help, but the principal won't even meet with us about the problem.

Posted May 26, 2011

Both of my children have attended Sligo Middle School for all 3 years -- the older one finished in 2009, and the younger one is "graduating" 8th grade this year. We stuck with the school because we hoped it was improving, but instead most things have deteriorated over the 5 years. There is a new focus on discipline this year, but that has very little impact on the main problem for the better-prepared kids -- the fact that the school does not challenge them. Except for math, classes are not divided by level of preparation. "Advanced" English is not at all advanced. (This is NOT the same as what "Honors" English used to be.) Parents are sometimes told that in the heterogeneous classes, teachers provide extra enrichment or other extra material or work for the more-able kids; but that never happened with either of my kids in any class. There are some bright spots--some talented new teachers this year, a wonderful Spanish teacher, both band and chorus, and school plays. But if your child is capable but not necessarily self-motivated, s/he will not wind up doing much work, and will not be well prepared for higher-level classes in high school.

Posted April 26, 2010

I've been going to this school for three years. I've always thought that the teachers and admins were great and that the after school programs were amazing. But this school just isn't safe!! the worst part is that the teachers don't really do anything about it and what they do do isn't enough!! everything else is great though

Posted March 5, 2010

Sligo Middle School has a horrible disciplinary problem. There is no leadership from the principal and the teachers tell me they don't have support from the administrative staff. Kids curse out teachers, fight in the halls and disrepect staff. My child will not return for 7th grade

Posted February 5, 2010

This was SUCH a wonderful school. Even though this isn't a wonderful, magnet school, the students are challenged well and know that many people believe in them. Though Sligo isn't the best school out there, I love it.

Posted December 19, 2009

I have had a pretty good experience at this school, and the discipline is not always what others have said. The English program is great and the band/orchestra and chorus teacher are very good and experienced! The worst department is the science department every year they have hired new science teachers for almost all the teachers.

Posted July 11, 2009

This school is not a positive environment. My son says he 'endured' the year. Now that school is out, he seems back to his old self. The discipline situation seems to be a big part of the problem. We are considering private school for next year, despite the cost.

Posted May 9, 2009

My daughter attended Sligo for 3 years. The school has terrible problems with student discipline, and while there are a few good teachers, the school is unable to attract and retain even minimally adequate teachers, largely due to serious problems with student disipline (talking in class, massive food fights at lunch, students threatening and assaluting other students...). Other than math, there is no tracking, and effectively no GT. Last checked, test scores and other ratings place Sligo at or somewhat below average for the nation (but in the lower third for Montgomery County) - however, scorse are artificially buoyed by the relatively small group of students whose academic performance is in spite of the shool's shortcomings. Sligo and Montgomery County adminstrators are more inclined to defend the status quo than to address the schools problems, even when directlly confronted. I am greatly saddened by these trends at Sligo.

Posted April 2, 2009

I am increasingly concerned about the discipline problems at Sligo. My child no longer finds the school to be academically challenging, saying that students talk over the teacher and the teacher has to repeat herself constantly, making for a boring class. She seems disengaged and is becoming increasingly social as a result.

Posted February 4, 2009

sligo rocks its a great school and the teachers are really cool

Posted January 4, 2009

I agree with the student who said the kids are disrespectful. My english class is good, but, the kids talk back in my other classes. And there is a lot of kids cutting class and being in the hall and fighting.

Posted December 24, 2008

I don't think this school is a great school because, the kids are disrespectful to the teachers, the security, and others. The students fight in the hallways, cafateria and outside after school. The teachers, and all other faculty members don't know how to control the kids behavior. Besides that, the education is great.

Posted December 4, 2008

I used to think this was a good school. But it seems to be going down hill. My child says that it's hard to learn because the kids in his class are talking all the time.

Posted November 25, 2008

My child is very unhappy at Sligo. She complains that most of her classes are out of control. I would not recommend this school to anyone.

Posted December 11, 2007

This school is a great school to go to. You should definitely send your child here. Though some teachers aren't that great, other teachers are terrific and you learn a lot in their class. Sligo has a great music/art and English program. The security is average; you will be safe. Sligo also has a good extra curricular activity program. There are various sports teams, a homework club, and if you need help, teachers are willing to stay after school with you. This year they have just installed something new called Smartboards. They help you interact with the thing you're learning and they're very cool. I'm in 7th grade and I have been very pleased with my first year and a half at Sligo.

Posted December 10, 2007

We currently have 8th and 6th grade boys at Sligo. We have found that our boys have thrived at Sligo Middle School. The strong math, english and music and spanish departments have particularily impressed us. I appreciate the energy and ideas the new principal brings to the table and look forward to a great future at Sligo.

Posted March 16, 2007

This school is a disgrace to Montgomery County. I am currently in 8th grade and have been attending this school since 6th grade. The security in this school is not too great either. There are some successful kids who attend this school who are in the GT (Gifted and Talented) program, who do very well with test scores such as the MSA, (Maryland School Assessment)though the majority of the school does not. Many teachers here lack the ability to control, or properly teach the kids in the classroom. I do not at all recommend sending your child here, I believe that he/she will have many bad experiences at Sligo Middle School.

Posted September 19, 2006

I also attended Sligo in 6th and 7th grade between 03-05. I also agree with my fellow classmate when saying this school was great. I learned the skills needed for High School and wasn't 'Set Up For Failure' as one should say. Sligo will help if you want to be helped, if no afford into it, of your not going to learn. I recommend this school
—Submitted by a former student

Math

The state average for Math was 68% in 2014.

148 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 83% in 2014.

148 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2013-2014 Maryland used the Maryland School Assessment (MSA) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and grades 5 and 8 in science. The MSA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Maryland. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

109 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2014.

149 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2014.

134 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2014.

133 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 69% in 2014.

123 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 9% 6%

Language learning

Foreign languages taught
  • Spanish
Note: Data provided by community members,
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school

Foreign languages taught
  • Spanish

Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only
Note: Data provided by community members,
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1401 Dennis Ave