Bad
Good

I agree that the new principal is making a big difference. My daughter is in 8th grade and Sligo has been improving every year. The principal encourages teachers to try innovative programs such as a combined history/english class that really engaged my daughter and it is now her favorite subject.

New Principal is compassionate, understanding and extremely down to Earth. Have had awesome interactions with him. Truly an asset to the school.

I am in 8 grade and I love the school, but one thing I hate is all science classes. The teachers don't care about you as a student. The teachers make mistakes very easily and I am getting frustrated. If I graded their science 1-10 I give -1, sorry but the truth had to be said.

As an 8th grader, I would also say I've 'endured' 3 years of middle school. The students talk over the teachers constantly despite being scolded just 5 minutes ago, then proceed to talk over the teachers again the next day and it's a cycle for the whole year in almost all my classes. The music department consists of amazing teachers who connects with their students. I agree that the science department is the worse you barely learn anything. Their "advanced" classes aren't really advanced at all. In all my advanced classes half of the students are at least the students whose parents need to be called, even during the first few weeks. The teachers also choose favorites and it's not very subtly. The teachers do talk to you once they see you're really interested in what you're learning, or if you have been constantly turning in your work, you'll be recognized. Overall, I wouldn't say this is a school I wouldn't recommend or a school your child won't be happy. It depends on your child because I have also made a lot of important friends, and met a lot of important people like the teachers.

Sligo is an improving school. My older daughter went there and lunch was a chaotic. My son is not there and lunch is enjoyable. Although there are new math teachers, my son is having a much better time in math than my daughter. The math teachers expect more but are willing to help the students. My experience with the principal has been limited but positive. The World History teacher, Ms. Chichester is wonderful as is the Spanish teacher and instrumental music teacher. I've heard many parents complain, but I don't know what they are doing to improve the school. My son is doing well and is a happy, healthy child. I appreciate the hard work that the teachers do at this school. My friend has a special needs students and she is very happy with the school. She says her child has a much easier time than in elementary school. My daughter is doing well in high school, except math. I know my son will have an easier time in high school math because his math teacher is making sure he understands the content. I thank principal and staff at the school for continuing to improve the school. My son is making new friends every day.

The school is deteriorating. My elder just got through, "endured the year" as one parent wrote. He's now back to his old self. My second is in 7th and I can't imagine 2 more years here. Echo all the parents who talk about discipline; it's low level and rude language and completely disrupts instruction time and the administration won't help. Teachers leave the school in droves -- highest turnover I've ever seen. Test scores are lowest in county. The principal is very polished and puts on a good show, but I don't think he can lead. The best ever English teacher retired; spanish teacher still great. Band teacher is a rock. Echo that there is no grouping by GT in science or social studies; but not much rigor in the other true GT classes. But if the last few good teachers we know leave, so do we. Very sad. Looking at options and ready to pull out at midyear if need be.

My child is currently at Sligo and I am requesting a transfer to another school. While the school has some great teachers - the band teacher is wonderful - my child has been bullied so extensively and pervasively that I no longer feel my child is safe at the school. There appears to be a culture of bullying at the school. The assistant administrator has tried to help, but the principal won't even meet with us about the problem.

Both of my children have attended Sligo Middle School for all 3 years -- the older one finished in 2009, and the younger one is "graduating" 8th grade this year. We stuck with the school because we hoped it was improving, but instead most things have deteriorated over the 5 years. There is a new focus on discipline this year, but that has very little impact on the main problem for the better-prepared kids -- the fact that the school does not challenge them. Except for math, classes are not divided by level of preparation. "Advanced" English is not at all advanced. (This is NOT the same as what "Honors" English used to be.) Parents are sometimes told that in the heterogeneous classes, teachers provide extra enrichment or other extra material or work for the more-able kids; but that never happened with either of my kids in any class. There are some bright spots--some talented new teachers this year, a wonderful Spanish teacher, both band and chorus, and school plays. But if your child is capable but not necessarily self-motivated, s/he will not wind up doing much work, and will not be well prepared for higher-level classes in high school.

I've been going to this school for three years. I've always thought that the teachers and admins were great and that the after school programs were amazing. But this school just isn't safe!! the worst part is that the teachers don't really do anything about it and what they do do isn't enough!! everything else is great though

Sligo Middle School has a horrible disciplinary problem. There is no leadership from the principal and the teachers tell me they don't have support from the administrative staff. Kids curse out teachers, fight in the halls and disrepect staff. My child will not return for 7th grade

Last modified Sligo Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.