Silver Spring, MD

Posted September 25, 2014
Lots of changes have come to BMES this year! We have an awesome new principal who is warm and interested in every child and family. This year 2014-15, there is a new counselor, who spends the whole day helping kids be happy and successful at school. It's like BMES is a totally new school. Right when you walk in, the office staff is warm and inviting. There are new procedures for drop-off and pick-up. Everything is very organized and everyone is very caring. The kids are so excited about the "terrific tickets" program. They get a little ticket when they "do the right thing." Then we have a raffle on Fridays. Everyone is working hard to make Burnt Mills the best school for every child.

Posted October 27, 2013
I don't know if any school is perfect, but we are pleased with the education at BMES. There is a new Vice Principle who is fantastic. Thankfully, because the Principle herself is not the warmest person albeit she does care about the kids. The teachers are very dedicated. My child is in the 3rd grade and I've been happy with every teacher he has had. I also like the extra curricular activities for boys after school to learn chess, science and basket ball. It's also great that this school doesn't do a ton of fundraising. That is refreshing!

Posted June 12, 2013
I agree with the parent who said that the school is like a prison. The school is preparing the children for jail. There are no celebrations because they "don't want to take away from instruction" and the kids are badly behaved. The Spanish Immersion does not help because there is so few students that it causes the English Title 1 classes to have more students than necessary. 30 children in a 4th or 5th grade class of students is too many for this population. As a title one school they should get the numbers awarded by the state for low-income schools. BUT because they have to include the spanish immersion classes (only 30% of the school if that) the most needy students are squished into a classroom and "managed". This is the reason for the prison like feel and the stressed out yelling teachers. Administration needs to change...the whole program needs to change. Everyone is unhappy.

Posted May 05, 2013
My son is in the BMES spanish immersion program and i have to say from K-3 has been nothing less than an A plus experience for my family - it is truly AMAZING with an even more amazing spanish immersion staff! we are hopeful their program will maintained at this high level of excellence in 4 &5 grade levels but not sure how to accomplish? The BMES immersion program truly could provide future MCPS children with wonderful opportunity!

Posted April 20, 2013
My child is a 3rd grader in the Spanish immersion program here. Our experience with the school has been perfect so far with supper dedicated immersion teachers and great classmates. We have had fine interactions with the administrators and the entire staff as well. The 4th and 5th grade immersion classes need a few more students and to be better supported. Immersion education strengths our competitiveness in this global economy.

Posted February 19, 2013
I ABHOR this school. It is a violent (from the students' behavior) and unsafe (regarding staff unawareness) environment. The noise levels caused by the exceptionally loud staff and badly behaved children are intolerable. The violence and poor behavior of the children is frightening. Children as young as kindergarten are treated like criminals. It is what I always imagined an inner city school would be like. The focus is not academics, but a crime and punishment approach to teaching children as young as kindergarten age. If you love your child, do not send them to this school.

Burnt Mills Elementary School 2

Posted May 07, 2012
I do NOT like this school, and neither do my K and 3rd grader. My 3rd grader is a quiet gentle child who takes a little longer to catch on sometimes, and twice she has told me her teacher has made her cry from yelling at her. My k student told me his teacher grabbed and squeezed his hand because he was playing with a pencil when she was saying something. They put these little kids in charge with their safety patrol belts and they think they have the right to yell at the top of their lungs at other children, while the outside staff looks on. I didn't want to enroll my kids here but I got stuck doing so because of the zoning. Never have we complained about school like now. And goodness these children are loud and just about out of control (I have to blame the parents for this because I live in a building where at least 80% of the kids that go to the school live in. Im not discriminatory but this building is 95% populated by African people and they are extremely loud all over the place...I'm African-American by the way). The school is just like this building...loud, out of control, and unorganized. Please do your self a favor and enroll your kids in a school that loves them!

Posted February 09, 2012
My daughter is finishing first grade of the Immersion program and I am very happy with the school. After thoroughly researching where in Mont County could my daughter attend while we pay less than $2000/month in housing, BMES was our top choice. We have bus transportation and my daughter is on the path to being bilingual. The class is very crowded and understaffed compared to the other 3 classes of 1st graders, but this is one of three spanish immersion programs in the county. Very diverse, very good administration overall, only good teachers thus far, and my daughter is very happy. PTO is excellent, organized and encouraging at every interaction. Go Eagles!

Posted July 31, 2011
I am mother of student who went 3 years in Burnt Mills and got very good grades in MSA math and english. Now she is in Key MS and she got bad grades this year and did not pass her tests and needs to do remidial clases. Now I know what she tells me that teachers at Burnt Mills only teach the test not subject because if the teachers were good an advanced student in grade 5 should not be struggling in grade 6. Former parent

Posted May 16, 2011
The school has a handful of really active parents and a handful of wonderful teachers/staff. Negatives- School staff come first, not students. There is very low parental involvement. Parents that are involved are limited by leadership.

Burnt Mills Elementary School
11211 Childs St, Silver Spring, MD  20901
Last modified Burnt Mills Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Burnt Mills Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 31 reviews. Top