Francis Scott Key Middle School

Public | 6-8

Posted September 30, 2013

This is a great school it ,provides great economy skills and gives the students there own little bank which shows them how to save (money) key cash so when they grow up they know how it works.

Posted May 20, 2013

I love my school. It is fun and amazing. We do many activities for kids who are good. We have renaissance day and many more things. Most the teachers and staff are really nice. We have a few teachers who are really strict, but nobody really minds them. Our teacher teaches us based on or knowledge and if we are ahead of the class. They pay attention to the individual student. Our school could improve with the students, some of the students may be off hand but that's only about 5% o the school. So it is a very good school but the students need to improve and we ned less teachers who like to scream.

Posted May 7, 2012

Before I even began to write my review, I noticed all the good reviews were written in 2010. I should have taken note of that before enrolling my child. The school looks great, on the inside, but my personal experience was all but that. I will not go into detail due to fear of more backlash, but this school seems like a jail with a warden for a principal. With my childs case it was more of a power trip as opposed to sincere help. As a parent I felt bullied, hopeless, cornered, and defeated...all the meanwhile my child could not stomach the counselors, principal, and a few other staff members. I know this post pay seem like key facts are missing, in which they are in order to protect my child and myself, but if your looking for a school that has compassion for all children look elsewhere. This school is about numbers and power. I'm glad we are no longer a part of this dreadful school.

Posted May 12, 2010

OMG!!!!!!!!!! THis school is the best!!Grrreeat staff,principal and everyone!Our principal just got his Ph.d so now he's Dr.MInus but he's leaving!He got transfered to John F. Kennedy HS to be there new principal! :-( Everyone is so sad, he was so niceeee! He is by far the best principal ever!!!!Well i'm going to miss him!! I <3 Dr.MInus!

Posted April 22, 2010

This School Is a Wonderful School.they Try Everyday To Make The students successful and they succeed.that Is Why I Love This School.

Posted November 11, 2009

I go to Francis Scott Key Middle School for 2 years, right now, I am a 8th grader of this school. Key is an awesome school. Great teachers, staff, building services, adminstration, friends, almost everything in this school is awesome. The teachers that works in this building are not just teachers, theyre like best friends with many students. Key has a high expectation for it's students. The students love Key. They are proud of the school they go to. Of course, FSKey isnt perfect, they still need to have some improvements but for me, this school is a great school. I LOVE KEY! =)

Posted September 1, 2009

My child is currently an 8th grader at Key Middle School. What makes Key unique is that most adminsitrators and teachers at this school have high expectations, don't lower the standards, consequenses exist for behavior, students are nutured and are enpowered.

Posted August 20, 2009

I work on 'education' issues most of my work day and yet most of the issues I deal with there seem to be present in this school as well. It takes Parents/Teachers & the Community to truly serve the children. It has been proven time and time again. None of those 3 helping is a handout -- we can only hope that it is the hand up that our children need. I have worked 1-2+ hours a night with my daughter, had her in tutoring, met with counselors -- however Nothing worked until her teacher last year. Last year was her first year on the honor role. She did so well the counselor called to ask if there was a 'change' at home. The only change was the Teacher held high expectations (as did we), plus the resources from MCPS. The 3 things combined proved that the team concept works.

Posted August 10, 2009

I do very much agree with the parent who recently submitted his/her review. I am also a proud parent of an honor role student, we work together everyday helping on his homework and it is paying and he is enjoying it. Parents are as responsible as the teachers in helping these kids and we should not leave everything to the teachers. We should work together, they do their part at school and we should do our part home.

Posted August 5, 2009

This school is getting better daily...I feel that if you do not have the motivation to do the work then don't blame it on others, such as employees. People are usually rude due to having someone be rude to them. If you work hard, you are rewarded. If you don't ...well, what can I say, that is your choice. There are extra ways to get help and in the Montgomery County School system. As a matter of a fact there is a ton. Get up and TRY! My little boy gets an awful lot of help from MCS extra councling and help with schooling. EVEN though we spend at least 1 1/2hrs a night with him studing. So we know! I am also a proud parent of an honor role student that LOVES to work hard and prove to the world handouts are not for this student!

Posted June 6, 2009

In response to the statement posted on January 31, 2009, I really think that the best learning atmosphere is a safe one, and that is what I believe the teachers are trying to achieve. Like the saying goes, it takes a village to raise a child...it's not just about what the teacher does in the class room, although it is important, but also what kind of support they get at home. If the school is not giving the attention the child requires, then how can the home be a support for him/her?

Posted January 31, 2009

This school is Horrible!!! the professor are more concerned with trying to discipline children than teaching them. My brother who attends this school is falling back in his studies because his teachers do not give him the attention he requires.

Posted January 3, 2009

its a horribel learning enviroment and teachers are rude

Posted May 14, 2006

I am a teacher in the county and I am a parent of two students at this school. I am so very disappointed in the overall experience my children have had. The instruction is inconsistent at best, the discipline structure is incoherent, the connection between expectations from the county and the way it is implemented here is awful.

Posted May 18, 2005

New principal has totally changed the tone of the school. The teacher's are much more motivated and enthusiastic. The overall staff attitude has improved greatly. The school has a great variety programs that give children the opportunity to really get ahead by the time they reach High School.

Posted August 31, 2004

Students benefit from a highly diverse community--both peers and staff. School has some uncommon academic opportunities: 6th grade foreign language, accelerated math, G/T art, science expo and projects with UMd Science Dept. (My 8th grader is taking Honors French III and Algebra II at the school.) Look for continuing improvements under new leadership this year.

Posted August 12, 2004

this school is very bad for students grades 6-8 there are no good qualities for students who really want to learn.teachers in theis school are afraid of the students which is not good. sincerly,a parent.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2013.

273 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 84% in 2013.

273 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2013.

301 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

300 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 67% in 2013.

303 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 81% in 2013.

304 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 71% in 2013.

303 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 8% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 58%N/A42%

Teacher resources

Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

Health & athletics

• Gym

Fax number
  • (301) 434-1375

Staff resources available to students
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options