Posted July 25, 2014
The Barrie school is a very competitive school to gain admissions. Having said that, I still firmly believe that the school takes students based off of a level of success they seem to display upon "the visit". If you have a child that doesn't "shine" they won't take her/him. They seem to only want kids that have the highest potential and that's NOT at all what Montessori is about. Sadly they do rely on and try to maintain a reputation. I just think they should be honest with parents and caregivers about what they are looking for and why instead of having parents and kids go through an admissions process that's really a dead end street.

Posted June 03, 2014
We enrolled our toddler in the new pre-K (18 mo-2 yrs) program this year and we have been thrilled with our experience. A typical day has involved classroom work time squeezing fresh orange juice, exploring the creek, making milkweed mud balls to plant food for Monarch butterflies, and feeding the ponies. He just turned 2 and has developed language and gross motor skills through the roof and the ability to verbalize his feelings in surprisingly complex and delightful ways. He has weekly class time with Spanish, music, and phys ed specialists, as well as extraordinary full-time early child development educators. He was pottying and dressing himself at school by the time he was 2. We also love that they have a full-time nurse because he has asthma and food allergies and she has always been very vigilant. The older students come to occasionally work with the little kids, which is mutually beneficial, and students of all ages know our child by name. By the time Spring Carnival rolled around, we realized that our toddler had a social life that far extended beyond his little class of 6 kids. We love Barrie School and are blessed to have it in our neighborhood.

Posted May 30, 2014
Barrie School provides a supportive, innovative, and peaceful learning environment. Once you step onto the campus, it is evident that the students enjoy learning. It has a wonderful 45 acre campus which serves as a classroom for the students. Faculty and staff at Barrie are very supportive and clearly enjoy teaching and learning.

Posted March 01, 2014
Our experience has been the exact opposite. Faculty and staff are mostly concerned about reputation and self preservation. Meanwhile the student culture has gone way down hill.

Posted February 20, 2014
Sensational facility! I have never seen a more compassionate group of teachers and I can honestly say that I think I looked at almost every private preschool in Montgomery county. This school blew my socks off and continues to daily. The campus is every kids dream. They have nature trails, stables, a pond, and all of it is incorporated into their daily teachings. Barrie has been the perfect match for our family!

Posted May 26, 2013
BARRIE SCHOOL is a great school! The teachers are highly skilled, nurturing, and very involved. AFter 8 years at Barrie we are consistently impressed wtih the high quality of the teachers. The education is balanced with academics and the arts allowing the children to tap into their creativity. We highly recommend it.

Posted May 02, 2013
Do not waste money by sending your kid to this school. This is one of the worst experience I have ever had. The kids enrolled at other Montessori schools are equally or more smarter. Teachers think they are smart and do not take care of the kids and their education. This school is interested in only making money from fundraising. Teachers never take any responsibilities but would want gifts and encouragements. I would never recommend this school for any class since it is a waste of money. I would prefer my kid to go to a place where the true world is projected. Millionaires might disagree with my comment but I would not recommend this school for a typical middle class family. I would recommend to put their hard earned money in good Montessori schools elsewhere.

Posted March 02, 2013
Upper School Review: Barrie provides an utter lack of academic rigor and a paltry electives component - especially in the arts and athletics department. Disciplinary actions are inconsistent and lack follow-through. For a school that emphasizes the harmonious development of the "whole child," I find it bizarre that teachers will often curse at the students and gossip about them with other parents. 6 weeks before an international study trip, there is no curriculum or schedule in place. Over-priced tuition, declining enrollment, high staff turnover, poor curriculum = a bad deal. Invest elsewhere. If you have a well-behaved, self-directed teen who doesn't like sports, art, music, theatre, or challenging assignments, this would be the place for her.

Posted February 25, 2013
My only regret about Barrie is that I did not send my son there sooner. He came in 8th grade after a terrible experience in public middle school in one of the "best" school districts in the nation. At Barrie, he got the individual attention he needed. His ADHD was understood and taken into account -- not like public school where they stuck him in a room by himself and told him to "learn." At Barrie, the experiential learning and hands-on classwork was perfect for him. Barrie allows for exploration and learning. That said, the courses are rigorous and challenging. Many Barrie graduates say their course work at Barrie was more difficult than their freshman year courses in college. Barrie will work with your student. There is no bullying at Barrie because the school is so small it cannot be hidden. Administrators are often in the classroom and teachers also coach and handle extracurriculars. There are always people looking out for you at Barrie. The most amazing thing is that the STUDENTS look out for one another. Barrie is a caring place. Students both with-- and without --learning differences do very well here. Oh, and the diversity is AMAZING.

Posted February 21, 2013
My daughter started Barrie this year in the mddle school and we are very happy. Barrie is a perfect fit for her. She is thriving both academically and socially. We have found the teachers to be exceptional and very accessible. The teaching staff sets the kids up for success which is so important. My daugther describes Barrie as a place she can really be herself. She really like the kids and loves going to school.

Barrie School