Silver Spring, MD

St Catherine Laboure School 4

Posted January 29, 2013
Very good school. Solidly Catholic. Very diverse in teacher and students. Bilingual assistance to families who need it. New principal is very dynamic and engaging. Small enrollment both a blessing and a curse. The school struggles financially - its Christian charity of giving a lot of aid probably causes problems. Teachers are lovely. There is a feeling of community and family there. Everyone works hard to make this school work. They aren't fancy - but they use well what they have. They address issues that have come up- and get things resolved.

St Catherine Laboure School 3

Posted September 14, 2012
My son and daughter attended SCL three years ago. The teachers there were very capable and committed to providing a solid Catholic school education. In terms of resources, SCL did its best to provide technology and other tools, but it was an ongoing struggle. We stayed at SCL for three years and probably would have remained if it weren t for my daughter s problem with certain cliques at the school. The girls in my daughter s class were not kind to her and the administration really didn t help the situation because many of these girls parents were very involved with the school. At first I thought it was a just phase but my daughter routinely came home in tears after being picked-on and excluded from many parties and social activities. Although this was never a problem for my son, our daughter was miserable, so we finally decided to change schools. This was the right decision for our family as our daughter is thriving and much happier now. Since leaving SCL, we ve learned that several families left the school because their daughters went through the same experience...we recently ran into another family.

St Catherine Laboure School 4

Posted August 24, 2012
St. Catherine Laboure School has struggled financially like many private schools in the area. The school has a very capable and qualified administration and staff to educate students. Most importantly, the adults care for and know each student. Families that are involved support the school in all ways and keep the community thriving. The small size of the school accentuates the family feel and the attention to each student's needs. If you want value, diversity, care, and the Word of God for your child, you may trust in this school.

Posted June 24, 2012
I have been involved actively with the school for ten years. I have sent my two children to this school and they have received a geat education, but what they have really recieved was a very sold, firm gounding in teachings of the Roman Catholic Church and more importantly in the love and knowledge of Jesus Christ. THIS IS WHAT TRULY MATTERS IN THE LONG RUN!!! I am not sure what school these reviewers are talking about. For instance, the english speaking and bilingual office staff are very courteous: there is no "study group sessions" associated with the school at night and so on and so on. True, there are some "bad teachers, uninvolved parents and questionable students" but this is true of every school every where. Few schools could boast, however, of the true Catholic Christian Spirit that comes from Saint Catherine Laboure School and Parish Community. It's diversity, struggles and fellowships are its greatest attributes!

St Catherine Laboure School 1

Posted June 15, 2012
I heard about this school and dropped by but everyone acted like they didn't know anything . I tried going by the school and visiting for a study group session but it was horrific. the study group starts at 7pm ends at 8pm ...that's what it says on the site and speaking to the deacon on the phone. Everything was confirmed and I was to drop by that night. No one came I waited 45 minutes ...also no one could even tell me the entrance to the study group session. I am already angry and the person who answered the phone barely knew English and can hardly understand her .....my first time experience visiting the school was horrific and I never want to go back.....

St Catherine Laboure School 1

Posted April 03, 2011
I am a student currently going to SCL, and I think this school is not too great. The teachers are constantly yelling and every time another teacher enters the room the current teacher acts nicer and more helpful. Every time we are taking a test or in the middle of a lecture there is always the annoying clanking of the heater. They also have very bad materials for us to use, and teachers go by their own rules there is no system. Teachers assign us work while they go on the internet and check their Email/Facebook. The principal also has two faces. For Example when talking to parents she is very kind, but when talking to student she is always mean even when we don't do anything wrong. The Principal and Vice Principal are very biased on who donated the most and who donates the least. This all only takes place in the junior high. So as you can see SCL is not a very good school.

St Catherine Laboure School 2

Posted March 20, 2011
SCL is not a very good school. Many Junior high teachers go on Facebook or email in the middle of class. They yell and make it frustrating for students to want to do a better job, and it has very old/broken materials. For example while students are taking a test the heaters are always clanking and distracting them. So as you can see SCL is not decent school to send your child too.

Posted September 28, 2009
As a past student,I loved this school. It the school was inclusive,caring and supportive. However if your child has delays or learning disablities, you need to get proper placement in Montgomery County Schools.I had learning disablities and only recently at Montgomery College found the Joy in learning.

St Catherine Laboure School

Posted November 02, 2008
The school is not bad at all; however, this school needs to hire better teachers for junior high. Unfortunately, a lot of parents are disappointed in some junior high teachers. Some of these teachers don t even speak English properly and no one came blame the parents for being upset. Since the school hired new teachers for lower grades as well for the specials educations such as music and art, this school needs to hire new teachers for junior high. The economy has nothing to do with losing a lot of students in this school, particularly in junior high, the problem is there is no enough good teachers in junior high. The principle is doing a great job!!

Posted August 29, 2008
As a parent I am very happy with St. Catherine's. The class sizes were no larger than 25 students in any class. That is a normal ratio of teachers to students. Recently four new teachers were hired as well. As for the '1 grade for each class when it used to have 2' comment, perhaps the writ er was not aware that is the trend for ALL of the local Catholic schools. The economy is mostly to blame. The other comment is so poorly written that I won;t even bother to comment on it as it appears to have been written by an unhappy student. Finally, the comment about 'my children always hated getting up for school'....is a personal problem. My children happen to love getting up for school. Perhaps your children were not going to bed early enough.

St Catherine Laboure School
11811 Claridge Road, Silver Spring, MD  20902
Last modified St Catherine Laboure School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
St Catherine Laboure School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top