PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (2 responses)

Posted May 06, 2016
Wonderful school! Two thumbs up! I would highly recommend St. John the Evangelist! The staff and teachers are great!

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted April 20, 2016
Thanks to all of the wonderful teachers for teaching and loving my children. You mean the world to our family.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted April 20, 2016
The teachers are great. You can tell they really care about the students. I've heard the Kindergarten teacher still gets a little teary eyed when a student starts reading on their own and she's been doing this for 20+ years.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted April 20, 2016
I don't have a specific example other than my kids who have all of these qualities.

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted April 20, 2016
SJE students are taught this and evaluated on this as part of their report cards.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted April 20, 2016
SJE has a buddy system where it pairs up kids in the younger grades with those in the older grades. They do special things together like gardening, baking and attend first Friday mass together. It's so sweet.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted April 20, 2016
SJE integrates these values in everything they do. It is reinforced every day through work assignments and projects. In 4th grade my son broke his foot badly during a CYO basketball game and needed surgery. He was out of school a week. One of the teachers took 15 minutes out of class time for each child to make a card for him and they sent the cards home in a big envelope. His face lit up. The teacher taught love & kindness that day. I was so touched.

Posted April 20, 2016
As an alumni and parent of 3 students I can whole heatedly recommend SJE to anyone looking for a loving, caring community in which to educate your child. The teachers are top-notch and are incredibly creative and motivated. We have a fantastic new principal who is excited adding new programs such as the classics, STEM and International Studies. My son graduated from 8th grade last year and was fully prepared to thrive in high school. But beyond the academics, I can't say enough about the community. It takes a village to raise a family and I love my SJE village. You can't go wrong with SJE.

Posted May 26, 2013
Our child is thriving at SJE both academically & socially. The entire K class is friends with no exclusions. All of the K students are reading and writing full sentences & creative stories. My son's math skills are developing quickly and the teacher is challenging him with multiplication to keep him interested. The K teacher runs a tight ship because she loves these children and believes they can meet the standards. She sees the potential and uniqueness of each of her children and works warmly with them so they can meet the expectations. The Value Code is stressed with class discussion and asking "what it means to be a friend." A lot of very old reviews here echo "how SJE used to be" according to some veteran parents. True, the facility is old but clean, secure, and adequate. Today's faculty and staff embrace technology with "smartboards" in the classrooms and multimedia instruction. Primary classes are large at 22+ children but all have a full time assistant so the ratio is halved. The front office secretary is retiring after 46 years so there will be some fresh efficiency. The parents are welcoming. You can be as involved as you'd like. We are very happy with SJE.

Posted April 27, 2013
We chose this school because we were looking beyond straight academics: which environment could transmit the values that we want our children to be instilled in, one that could provide emotional and spiritual support. This is exactly what we've found. My husband and I often remark to each other how much we love this school. The people who make up this school - from the Sisters to other faculty, to the principal to the families -are just such GOOD people. Watching the kids play at recess, I'm blown away at how kind the kids are to each other, how their play circles effortlessly transform into different groupings - everyone gets along. Our children are flourishing and becoming good citizens. This school is nurturing them. Because of this strong and close community, there is a high level of parent involvement. If you love a place, you want to help in whatever way you can. I'm not sure how the academics compare, but for us, it's secondary to the development of our kids as people.

10201 Woodland Drive, Silver Spring, MD  20902
Last modified St John The Evangelist School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8