No rating

Winchester School

Private | PK-2

Living in Silver Spring

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $220,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,500.

Posted August 17, 2012

Both of my children attended this preschool when they were 4 and loved it (2005 & 2008). Having young kids change subjects like middle & high school students is genius for this age. Their attention span is limited and they love having different teachers & subjects to learn and feel like big kids. The transition to Kindergarten in public school was fine, although they learned so much, they complained of being bored. But that faded as the school year progressed. They had a half-day or full-day program and after care & summer camp options for those families who have two working parents. I strongly recommend the program - no complaints.

Posted August 15, 2012

The education children receive is similar to other preschools. Some of the of the staff are unfriendly and rude. Several people including myself have had experiences where the owner Mrs. Rimm will be very nice then the next she is a different person. I took my child there for a short period of time

Posted May 23, 2012

My child learned a lot wnen she was in this school, but she is now much more happier in another school. in the other school, people are more polite, nicer and friendly to eachother.

Posted August 17, 2011

This school is the best blend of learning and fun and warmth and support. My kids are thriving there and I highly recommend it for anyone looking for a rigorous, age-appropriate school with lots of extra enrichment.

Posted March 4, 2011

I am thrilled that we found this gem of a school! My daughter has thrived and learned so much from teachers who truly care about children and about their academic development.

Posted March 2, 2011

I cannot believe the ratings I am reading! Is this the same school my child goes to? The Winchester School is a GREAT school! It welcomes children with very diverse backgrounds and makes them feel right at home. The curriculum is rigorous - which is what you would want from a structured teaching environment! - and children are pushed to learn - while having fun! My child is currently enrolled in the PreK program for 3 year olds and she loves it! She is happy to go to school and cannot wait to see her teachers and friends. She has learned a lot since starting at the school - including how to adapt to a more organized and structured environment - which is essential for her moving forward in school. Both my husbadn and I feel we have made the best choice we could have made enrolling her in The Winchester School - we highly recommend it to all parents! The school strikes a great balance between learning and fun and we really could not emphasize more how glad we are to have found it! So much so, that we are going to commute for 25 minutes in the mornings to bring both my son and daughtter next year, since we have changed home! Enroll your children - you will NOT regret it!

Posted October 12, 2010

The teachers and other staff care about my daughter and most importantly, my daughter LOVES it there. So much so that she asks to go on weekends.

Posted September 17, 2008

When I visited the Winchester School I was very impressed with what I saw in the classrooms. However, when my child started his tenure at the school my opinion of the school changed drastically. This school was not kid friendly at all. The expectations for three and four year old children were unbelievable. There was no tolerance at all for kids to be kids. The school has a very intensive and accelerated curriculum which seemed impressive on the surface, but proved to be too rigid for a normal and active three year old child. For the Winchester to be a school for early childhood education, I was shocked and appalled by the lack of compassion and understanding exhibited by persons in leadership positions. The Winchester is not a nurturing environment for children. The best thing I did for my child was to remove him from the school.

Posted October 20, 2005

Winchester has an agressive marketing plan to indoctrinate potential parents that the 'school' is stellar. The school is fair, however, distributed teachers lend to poor individual child assessment. Teachers are upbeat. Curriculum is poor for a well adjusted child. Children may not see a difference; type A parents will not realize an improvement only maintenance. School has is experiencing community problems, so long term status is shakey.

Posted May 25, 2005

The Winchester School offers a strong academic program with specific classes in Language Arts, Mathematics, Science, Spanish and Art. Children are exposed to an advanced curriculum and an array of activities. Your child will do extremely well if he/she comes to the program with maturity and a propensity to grasp key concepts quickly through traditional teaching methods. However, if your child falls into any of these categories, he/she may have challenges: 1)short attention span 2) visual learner 3)lacks academic and/or social maturity. Unfortunately, there are no set teaching strategies for children who fall into this group, leading to feelings of inadequacy by the child.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 24% 6%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

3223 Bel Pre Road