Silver Spring, MD

Posted January 30, 2013
I went to Calvary Lutheran School in the early 70's and the basics in education there that I acquired went a VERY LONG WAY towards shaping my future and making my life a success.

Posted June 12, 2008
I my child loves Calvary. The building is not the state of art, but the children receive lots of love and are held to high standards and respect. This is a well kept secret, are children are happy and achivers.

Posted June 05, 2008
Calvary strives to 'Recognize each child's God-given strenghts, adddres their needs and reach their full potential' --those were the words that hooked me as a parent... and for the past two years my son has excelled because of Calvary's nuturing and wonderful teachers. Affordable and excellent.

Posted January 08, 2008
I have had all three of my children attend this school and it has lead to great success for all of them. After graduating from calvary my older two are excelling in academics carrying honors and AP classes. They are very grounded making good choices not influenced by their peers in a negative way. The scret in this school is the academicaalys trong, nurturing and loving environment. As a parent I always have peace of mind knowing that they are in a safe environment and if I am held up somewhere they will take care of them no questions asked! The Chrismas program that the students themselves put on each year are marvelous and the students are so proud of their hard work. I recommend this school to everyone!

Calvary Lutheran School 4

Posted January 05, 2008
Calvary is a very academic and athletic school, with fantastic teachers, a caring and safe environment, and terrific teaching techniques. The small classes have the children pay attention and keep paying attention.

Posted November 15, 2007
Calvary offers a wonderful loving Christian environment. The class sizes are small and diverse. The faculty and staff are all caring and committed to the academic and spiritual development of the children. Dollar for dollar there is not a better private education to be found in the county!

Posted October 10, 2007
Calvary is just terrific... the class sizes are very small, the curriculum is top-notch, and each child is treated as a unique individual/learner. The teachers go far beyond the extra mile to support the child's academic, physical, social, and spiritual growth. One of my children has special needs and would find it difficult to succeed in a typical classroom with 20 or more students and an overwhelmed teacher who is being forced to 'teach to the test' as is so common at many area schools. At Calvary he is doing more than just succeeding, he is thriving.

Calvary Lutheran School 4

Posted September 17, 2007
I love this wonderful school. Your family really does become part of a school family here. Teachers love the kids & love what they do. Calvary is under-enrolled (some classes are very small). Good for the student, not good for the school. Formerly the most affordable of private schools in SS, tuition has increased twice in 2 years, forcing some families to 'drop out'. Some parents have voiced concern over limited academic offerings. I do wish Perf Arts & Language program were better but for now I'm happy to keep my small children here because it is a loving Christian community. I'll stay as long as possible. Parents should know the Church may not be as committed to the Education ministry as they once were. Most school families don't attend the church, churchmembers are older & don't know how important the school is to us. That disconnect hurts the school.

Calvary Lutheran School 3

Posted May 24, 2006
Calvary is a pretty nice small school. They provide a good, solid education. They also offer before & aftercare programs. I think they have far too many days out of school however (full and half day that is). And it is extremely disappointing that they don't provide aftercare service on those half days. Additionally, I don't care to be forced to volunteer in the school or pay additional money - I know this doesn't disturb others. They don't offer P.E for the lower grades (at least not K-2) They do provide hot lunch (although the cost for pizza once a week is exhorbitant!) On the positive - the teachers are knowledgable and friendly. Despite all my little nagging complaints, I still recommend the school.

Calvary Lutheran School
9545 Georgia Ave, Silver Spring, MD  20910
Last modified Calvary Lutheran School is a Private school that serves grades K-8
Calvary Lutheran School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 9 reviews. Top