Posted June 23, 2014
My daughter is entering 8th grade at LMS, and she has thrived at the school. The band and theatre programs are top notch.

A. Mario Loiederman Middle School 2

Posted June 09, 2014
We were forced to go to this school per Consortia "We are placing white males students there at this time" said it right in front of my kid when we had to meet with all his files, none of which they cracked. Decision for placement was made on sight within seconds. He has been slammed with racial slurs daily to no end since he got there. How to get the school to improve? Integrity.

Posted October 07, 2013
This school has a strong arts program and my son is happy there. I have been concerned about teacher turn over (21 new faculty this year - yikes) which I think has a negative impact on quality over all. Still, the climate is positive. Also - when ever I had a concern, teachers, and the principal were available and listened. The teachers and administrators truly care about the success of their students and I believe what the school has to offer overall is very good. I don't think any of the behavior challenges they face are unusual for middle school and I agree with the other reviews - substitutes are a big concern - not just at this school but across the MCPS system. It's important to note that the ratings on this site draw most heavily from student performance on standardized tests. That's not the only benchmark of quality.

Posted August 15, 2013
I am a parent of two Loiederman graduates. They each enjoyed middle school more than I could imagine any child enjoying middle school. The opportunities for creativity -- whether in art, music, theater, dance -- were wide and supportive. The kids supported each other in their arts, with the kind of acclaim that usually goes to the sports heroes. At a graduation ceremony, the students actually gave a self-inspired standing ovation to some of the kids who achieved the highest grades -- whoever heard of that?! The teachers tend to enjoy and participate in the overall creative atmosphere at the school, and the administration has been kind, supportive and inspiring. I look back on their middle school photos and friends with as much fondness as elementary school -- the creative spirit made it a special, accepting place. I felt that some of the teachers in some of the basic classes were not strong enough -- but the overall atmosphere inspired a feeling of belonging, and that was most important at that age. Both kids had enough good teachers in those core subjects so they learned the material, did great, and went on to do well in high school. I miss the LMS moms and dads!

Posted June 24, 2013
My school is honestly amazing. It definitely deserves a better rating than 4. Many students do get into fights or arguments with students. but the security and staff does an excellent job and handling the situation and giving appropriate punishments. I can also say the classes and teachers there are amazing. They have just added more electives, For example, Dance for athletes, an advanced lights camera literacy, Italian, acting in film etc. Another thing I would like to comment on is the teachers, they are amazing. If you ask to get help they are right there! whether its before school, after school, at lunch etc. they take the time to help students improve bad habits and bringing up there grades. The councilors are always there and try to help you with your problems. I can say I've been to the councilors office maybe 4-5 times this year and have seen me automatically and without it being well known to other students that I'm there. The only negative that I have is that they took out the ASK (academic support for kids) it was a thirty minute class like study hall except students could make appointments with other teachers to catch up on work. This should be added back.

Posted June 15, 2013
Teachers are wonderful, kind and helpful. Subs never used harsh language in my three years there and either way they aren't just LMS subs, that's MCPS's problem. I've really learned a lot at this school. I've never come across a disrespectful teacher and I know every single teacher there.

A. Mario Loiederman Middle School 1

Posted May 01, 2013
The magnet program at Loiderman is good, however there are many disrespectful teachers and students. My son goes to this school and can't wait for him to be transferred to another MC school next year. Some teachers are great and do offer tutoring if needed, but the substitues are horrible and even use foul language. Also, there are so many fights at this school, my son is not happy at this school, there is always something interesting happening. Don't send your kids here if they are well behaved because they will learn bad habits!

A. Mario Loiederman Middle School 1

Posted April 05, 2013
I REALLY DISLIKE THIS SCHOOL, DON'T GO THERE, GO TO ARGYLE IF YOU WNT TO SAVE YOURSELF

Posted September 29, 2011
I am a student currently enrolled at Loiederman. What I have noticed over my 3 years here is that, although students are somewhat reckless and disruptive in my grade, many newcomers seem very calm and can be controlled easier. The staff is great. The counselors are excellent, and recently, a small program has been launched that teaches students to be kind each week. Every week, a new topic is announced, such as helping one another and being organized. This helps awareness for the students. Parent involvement is present; many forms and absences require a note or phone call. This school focuses on the basic arts: Music and Creating. Students can join the band and chorus and dance in their first year, while a class called "Perspectives" is a required class that showcases how well a student can contribute in art, such as easy sculpting projects and using sounds and pre-recorded music to create a song. In the next year, they will be able to join Digital Art, Digital Music, Various courses that involve painting and/or interpreting art, and Foreign Language classes such as Spanish and French. Overall, this school is great for art. The building may be old, but it was renovated in 2005.

Posted March 17, 2010
Loiederman is the most amazing middle school for the arts. It has dance, theatre, music, instrumental, and art. There are no enterance our audition exams. If you want to learn, they will teach you! The school just won the JFK Performing Arts School of Excellence Arts Education Award! All this for a PUBLIC School!

A. Mario Loiederman Middle School
12701 Goodhill Rd, Silver Spring, MD  20906
Last modified A. Mario Loiederman Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
A. Mario Loiederman Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top