Silver Spring, MD

Galway Elementary School 2

Posted May 01, 2015
I moved when it was time for my kid to start kindergarten. That should make my opinion of this school clear. Thanks.

Posted June 06, 2014
Galway is AWESOME and it's getting better every year. Growth is evident in our school's scores. My child is in the 2nd grade and is thriving at Galway. We have had wonderful teachers, who have helped make learning fun. The Principal has instituted amazing programs that provide all of the children with leadership opportunities, recognition for achievements, and she has been a great partner to our PTA. Please visit Galway's PTA website at www.galwaypta.org to learn more about our school, contact a PTA member if you have concerns, and look for ways to get involved. There are opportunities for working and stay at home parents. Parent involvement is the key to academic success for our children, our school, and our community. I encourage all parents to volunteer with the PTA....it's a great way to be your child's biggest advocate!

Posted May 30, 2014
Was a great school in the past. It is too bad because teachers are leaving and the principal is not very effective. Fights daily at an elementary school level, on the bus, on the playground, not acceptable. The school itself is beautiful but it is being run into the ground. The principal has to work with the PTA not against it. There has to be meaningful punishment for children but also love and respect. Children should not wish to stay inside for recess merely because they are scared to go outside. I wish Galway the best as it tries to right the ship. MCPS should help in this endeavor.

Posted May 24, 2014
Very sad to see a great school in the past being run to the ground bc of lack of leadership. 2 prior principals took leadership in the school & all teachers parents & students loved & admired. Mr. Mohammed and Ms. Stanislav left the school, the new principal has let the school go down hill. Tenured teachers retired bc they didn't want to deal with the new principal. Drop off & pick up of children is dangerous & total chaos. New design of drop off was given to Stanislav & was going to be implemented to improve this horrible situation but when Fuller came aboard, nothing was done. Too many cars going too many ways & parents all over the place, just trying to get their kids. We have lost so many great teachers bc of this administration change, & parents had little if no input of this change. Gladly my child is leaving this school, but I hope MCPS really takes a look at how this school is being handled. There are little if no supervision on playgrounds, volunteers have no control of the children fights breaking out and no discipline. Lunch rooms again run by volunteers out of control. Its a shame this school is rated a 4 because when I went to school there it was rated a 10.

Galway Elementary School 5

Posted August 08, 2013
I went to the school in the early 2000's under the guidance of Principal Muhammad. It was amazing. I met a lot of my friends that I still have today from Galway. Sad to know my favorite teachers are gone .The new principal is okay, But Galway back then was better :)

Posted July 12, 2013
i used to go to this school and it was amazing, but many of my favorite teachers have left.

Posted July 16, 2012
Thank heavens this school finally has a strong principal that is about the business of educating students. Over the past two years Ms.Stanislaus (principal) has worked to hold the staff accountable to do the jobs they are being paid to do. Quality education starts with those who are providing the education and Ms. Stanislaus is sending the message that she wants quality instruction every day for every child. You can tell that she is living these words and holding all the teachers accountable to do just that, because the reading and math scores are finally going up! Before Ms. Stanislaus got there the test scores where stagnant or going down. I look forward to seeing her as the principal of Galway for many years to come.

Galway Elementary School 5

Posted July 02, 2012
Thank Heaven's for the new principal at Galway ES!!! Under her dynamic, "let's make it happen" leadership style,, Mrs Yolanda Stanislaus has expanded Parent outreach and involvement to include Dads& Donuts, Grandparent Day, Walk for Autism, Iinternational Day, Health Fair, Art Shows, picnics, Curriculum nights and more. Her efforts have been recognized by MCPS as exemplary models for other schools. I live in the Calverton community and volunteer in the office and the classrooms. I found Mrs S and her staff to be warm, welcoming, and supportive of parents and community members. She makes time to listen to your ideas or concerns. Parents appreciate her honest and knowledgeable responses . Ms. S is also a parent of 2 children in MCPS schools. She is very child focused and sensitive to the role and needs of parents. My grandchild insists that I come to all events at Galway when her mom can not attend. She is so proud of her school as am I. Great Work Galway! . PS Unfortunately, there are a few parents who paint an unfair and negatively biased view of this wonderful school and staff. They DO NOT speak for the Majority of the more than 850 Galway families.

Posted June 09, 2012
It's a shame so many good teachers are leaving so quickly. Many parents are starting to pull their children out as well. The reason being the principal. Her dishonesty and favoritism seems to guide her decisions more than what is good for the children. Children are treated differently based on background and several staff members describe the principal as evil. I hope the district wakes up to this behavior soon before the test scores at this school slip even more.

Galway Elementary School 0

Posted April 30, 2010
Becuse my babygirl love her teacher Mrs Wilson,And i like her too .

Galway Elementary School
12612 Galway Dr, Silver Spring, MD  20904
Last modified Galway Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Galway Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top