Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

Staff turnover is very high here because teachers are not treated well. The focus is all on test scores rather.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

I'm going to use my kindergartener as an example. She is reading on a 2nd grade level. And that just speaks for itself.

Amount of homework: Disagree

As a parent I don't think there is ever too much homework or learning. I feel children should have something to do every night.

This is a great school with phenomenal staff members. My children love going to school. There are lots of events that the children can express themselves freely. I love how talented and gifted the children are. Of course the school wouldn't be complete without the direction of the wonderful selfless Dr. Fuller. I am proud to say my children are a part of the Galway team!

People who say 'back in my day things were different' really don't add much to the conversation as they have no tangible evidence about the current climate. I came from private school and thought private school was the answer for my kids. When things didn't work out I was reluctant (i.e. scared) to send my kids to public school, especially after reading comments here about Galway. Almost immediately I found the environment remarkable. The teachers in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th grade were amazing. They were responsive and accommodating and used a very inclusive, holistic approach to education. They answered all my questions and worked with my child to get them to the level they need to be intellectually and socially. Staff is friendly and the Principal (Dr. Fuller) is the type of leader you want. She is effective, extremely intelligent when dealing with every day challenges, and fights for her school and its resources. While I can understand some people may have had negative experiences or they may complaints about a school with 800 kids (that's a junior high attendance) with only having 1 assistant principal, 2 secretaries, and a lack of resources from the county but that is hardly the school's fault. The staff does an incredible job with the limited resources they get and my child has never been happier than at Galway. Conflict resolution between students is a HUGE management approach made by the leadership in the school and the teachers adhere to an environment that is predicated on positive. The only reason I don't give 5 stars is because MCPS does not seem to provide enough resources for the school.

I moved when it was time for my kid to start kindergarten. That should make my opinion of this school clear. Thanks.

Galway is AWESOME and it's getting better every year. Growth is evident in our school's scores. My child is in the 2nd grade and is thriving at Galway. We have had wonderful teachers, who have helped make learning fun. The Principal has instituted amazing programs that provide all of the children with leadership opportunities, recognition for achievements, and she has been a great partner to our PTA. Please visit Galway's PTA website at www.galwaypta.org to learn more about our school, contact a PTA member if you have concerns, and look for ways to get involved. There are opportunities for working and stay at home parents. Parent involvement is the key to academic success for our children, our school, and our community. I encourage all parents to volunteer with the PTA....it's a great way to be your child's biggest advocate!

Was a great school in the past. It is too bad because teachers are leaving and the principal is not very effective. Fights daily at an elementary school level, on the bus, on the playground, not acceptable. The school itself is beautiful but it is being run into the ground. The principal has to work with the PTA not against it. There has to be meaningful punishment for children but also love and respect. Children should not wish to stay inside for recess merely because they are scared to go outside. I wish Galway the best as it tries to right the ship. MCPS should help in this endeavor.

Very sad to see a great school in the past being run to the ground bc of lack of leadership. 2 prior principals took leadership in the school & all teachers parents & students loved & admired. Mr. Mohammed and Ms. Stanislav left the school, the new principal has let the school go down hill. Tenured teachers retired bc they didn't want to deal with the new principal. Drop off & pick up of children is dangerous & total chaos. New design of drop off was given to Stanislav & was going to be implemented to improve this horrible situation but when Fuller came aboard, nothing was done. Too many cars going too many ways & parents all over the place, just trying to get their kids. We have lost so many great teachers bc of this administration change, & parents had little if no input of this change. Gladly my child is leaving this school, but I hope MCPS really takes a look at how this school is being handled. There are little if no supervision on playgrounds, volunteers have no control of the children fights breaking out and no discipline. Lunch rooms again run by volunteers out of control. Its a shame this school is rated a 4 because when I went to school there it was rated a 10.

I went to the school in the early 2000's under the guidance of Principal Muhammad. It was amazing. I met a lot of my friends that I still have today from Galway. Sad to know my favorite teachers are gone .The new principal is okay, But Galway back then was better :)

Last modified Galway Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.