Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (13 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (13 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (15 responses)

My kid was student of kindergarten during 2013-14. All teachers and the principal were very committed. I was always surprised to see 3/10 rating. I had to move to other state for job reason, my son still misses his teacher, friends and the school environment.

We started our oldest daughter in kindergarten in Fall 2015 after some skepticism about the 3/10 rating (based on test scores), but could not be happier. Principal Moran is hyper-committed to each child and has turned around the school. The teachers are truly amazing, and the teacher to student ratio is so much better than other schools. The school facilities and STEM program are fantastic, the entire faculty is obviously committed to supporting each child and fostering a strong sense of school community at Glenallan (AKA "Gator Nation"). The kids are all so well-behaved and hard-working, no doubt in part because "character" (e.g. respect, responsibility, caring) is the most important value taught at the school... and it shows. An added bonus is that the before/after school extended day program is run by Kids After Hours which is AWESOME (especially the Glenallan staff). The ONLY negative is the PTA seems to meet less frequently than it could, but they're working on that. Overall, we are so relieved we didn't throw away money at a private school, as Glenallan is top-notch. And to emphasize, we're only half-way through the year and on Glenallan's watch our daughter has blasted to the TOP of the charts/assessments in reading and math AT A FIRST-GRADE LEVEL (not even kindergarten). You would be remiss to consider private school if you're in Glenallan's school zone. We very much look forward to starting our pre-schooler there next fall.

I have a Kindergartener and she finished kindergarten and is reading and writing sentences. She can count to 100 and above. She can read at an almost 2nd grade level. The grading system on this website is based solely on a Maryland assessment test. This school does not focus on kids regurgitating material for an exam. Instead they teach kids to learn. I was a little worried about the score when I was first looking at schools, but I have 3 other children from my family that go or went there and the oldest is taking Advanced Placement courses and going to graduate with honors from high school. I've seen first hand the level of education that this school is capable of. My daughter absolutely loves going to school and loves her teacher. The Principal of the school is also very involved with the families and the children. He knows every child's name and is truly dedicated to the education, well-being, and character of our children. I went to a private elementary school in this area and believe me, I wish I had gone to this school when I was a child. Would have saved my parents thousands and gotten a better education. My wife and I could not be happier.

Amount of homework: Agree

The amount was just right and I like the format where the homework can be finished over a number of days.

Develops character: Strongly agree

The anthem of the school is character counts. They instill this value to the teachers, students, and faculty.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Develops character: Strongly agree

The staff and administration model character traits and positive behavior for the students. Students are encouraged and rewarded for demonstrating exemplary character. My child loves Glenallan, especially her teachers. I really appreciate everything they do to challenge and engage her on a daily basis. In fact, she is actually upset that school has ended! I also want to commend the faculty and staff for creating a warm, welcoming environment for parents, as well. I am greeted whenever I come to the building and the administration always takes time to compliment me on something my child has done. I really feel like they have taken the time to get to know her and me.

My daughter is going into third grade and we love Glenallan. The teachers are caring and make school engaging for her. I really love the wide variety of teaching methods used to meet the different learning styles and interests. Plus, the STEM focus has given my daughter opportunities to think and work beyond the curriculum. My son is about to start kindergarten and he cannot wait to become a Glenallan Gator! Keep up the good work.

Develops character: Strongly agree

We have a program in place called Character Counts to promote these very attributes. The kids are highly encouraged and rewarded to treat each other and others with these qualities.

Before enrolling my kids at Glenallan they were at a Private Montessori school. Now I almost feel like I spent a whole lot of money that I did not need to because we are so happy at Glenallan! What a hidden gem! You will absolutely fall in love with our Principal, Mr. Moran, who interacts with the kids like a father/sibbling/friend/guardian/mentor all rolled into one. YOU HAVE TO SEE THIS TO BELIEVE IT. The kids really love going to school everyday and it shows. The kids here are so polite and well mannered, they show respect towards each other, teachers, staff and us parents. The kids understand what being in a community means and they look out for each other. The teachers are such an inspiration. I am a very Proud Parent of 2 fantastic Glenallan kids!

Last modified Glenallan Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.