Silver Spring, MD

Glenallan Elementary School 5

Posted July 17, 2015
I have a Kindergartener and she finished kindergarten and is reading and writing sentences. She can count to 100 and above. She can read at an almost 2nd grade level. The grading system on this website is based solely on a Maryland assessment test. This school does not focus on kids regurgitating material for an exam. Instead they teach kids to learn. I was a little worried about the score when I was first looking at schools, but I have 3 other children from my family that go or went there and the oldest is taking Advanced Placement courses and going to graduate with honors from high school. I've seen first hand the level of education that this school is capable of. My daughter absolutely loves going to school and loves her teacher. The Principal of the school is also very involved with the families and the children. He knows every child's name and is truly dedicated to the education, well-being, and character of our children. I went to a private elementary school in this area and believe me, I wish I had gone to this school when I was a child. Would have saved my parents thousands and gotten a better education. My wife and I could not be happier.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted July 17, 2015
The amount was just right and I like the format where the homework can be finished over a number of days.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted July 17, 2015
My daughter was always excited for any new accomplishments and was rewarded by the teacher.

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted July 17, 2015
The teachers do a great job of conflict solving and offer the children different methods to make sure that all of the students are always respectful of others.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted July 17, 2015
My daughter is a much better person at home now from a lot of things that were taught in this school.

Posted July 17, 2015
The anthem of the school is character counts. They instill this value to the teachers, students, and faculty.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted June 17, 2015
The staff and administration model character traits and positive behavior for the students. Students are encouraged and rewarded for demonstrating exemplary character. My child loves Glenallan, especially her teachers. I really appreciate everything they do to challenge and engage her on a daily basis. In fact, she is actually upset that school has ended! I also want to commend the faculty and staff for creating a warm, welcoming environment for parents, as well. I am greeted whenever I come to the building and the administration always takes time to compliment me on something my child has done. I really feel like they have taken the time to get to know her and me.

Glenallan Elementary School 5

Posted June 17, 2015
My daughter is going into third grade and we love Glenallan. The teachers are caring and make school engaging for her. I really love the wide variety of teaching methods used to meet the different learning styles and interests. Plus, the STEM focus has given my daughter opportunities to think and work beyond the curriculum. My son is about to start kindergarten and he cannot wait to become a Glenallan Gator! Keep up the good work.

Posted June 17, 2015
We have a program in place called Character Counts to promote these very attributes. The kids are highly encouraged and rewarded to treat each other and others with these qualities.

12520 Heurich Rd, Silver Spring, MD  20904
(301) 929-2014
Last modified Glenallan Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Glenallan Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 121 reviews. Top