Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (15 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (13 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (14 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (11 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (13 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (13 responses)
Currently, most people answered School leader (2 responses)

Posted March 02, 2016
My kid was student of kindergarten during 2013-14. All teachers and the principal were very committed. I was always surprised to see 3/10 rating. I had to move to other state for job reason, my son still misses his teacher, friends and the school environment.

Posted February 13, 2016
We started our oldest daughter in kindergarten in Fall 2015 after some skepticism about the 3/10 rating (based on test scores), but could not be happier. Principal Moran is hyper-committed to each child and has turned around the school. The teachers are truly amazing, and the teacher to student ratio is so much better than other schools. The school facilities and STEM program are fantastic, the entire faculty is obviously committed to supporting each child and fostering a strong sense of school community at Glenallan (AKA "Gator Nation"). The kids are all so well-behaved and hard-working, no doubt in part because "character" (e.g. respect, responsibility, caring) is the most important value taught at the school... and it shows. An added bonus is that the before/after school extended day program is run by Kids After Hours which is AWESOME (especially the Glenallan staff). The ONLY negative is the PTA seems to meet less frequently than it could, but they're working on that. Overall, we are so relieved we didn't throw away money at a private school, as Glenallan is top-notch. And to emphasize, we're only half-way through the year and on Glenallan's watch our daughter has blasted to the TOP of the charts/assessments in reading and math AT A FIRST-GRADE LEVEL (not even kindergarten). You would be remiss to consider private school if you're in Glenallan's school zone. We very much look forward to starting our pre-schooler there next fall.

Grateful to: School leader

Posted November 18, 2015
Thank you for your tireless effort in ensuring the needs of students, teachers/staff and parents are met on a daily basis. Thank you for dedicating your personal time to encourage, motivate and lend a listening ear to all members of the Glenallan community. You are irreplaceable!

Posted July 17, 2015
I have a Kindergartener and she finished kindergarten and is reading and writing sentences. She can count to 100 and above. She can read at an almost 2nd grade level. The grading system on this website is based solely on a Maryland assessment test. This school does not focus on kids regurgitating material for an exam. Instead they teach kids to learn. I was a little worried about the score when I was first looking at schools, but I have 3 other children from my family that go or went there and the oldest is taking Advanced Placement courses and going to graduate with honors from high school. I've seen first hand the level of education that this school is capable of. My daughter absolutely loves going to school and loves her teacher. The Principal of the school is also very involved with the families and the children. He knows every child's name and is truly dedicated to the education, well-being, and character of our children. I went to a private elementary school in this area and believe me, I wish I had gone to this school when I was a child. Would have saved my parents thousands and gotten a better education. My wife and I could not be happier.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted July 17, 2015
The amount was just right and I like the format where the homework can be finished over a number of days.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted July 17, 2015
My daughter was always excited for any new accomplishments and was rewarded by the teacher.

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted July 17, 2015
The teachers do a great job of conflict solving and offer the children different methods to make sure that all of the students are always respectful of others.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted July 17, 2015
My daughter is a much better person at home now from a lot of things that were taught in this school.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted July 17, 2015
The anthem of the school is character counts. They instill this value to the teachers, students, and faculty.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

12520 Heurich Rd, Silver Spring, MD  20904
(301) 929-2014
Last modified Glenallan Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.