Silver Spring, MD
Before care: Yes

Highland View Elementary School 2

Posted February 14, 2014
We are about to enter the IEP process (hopefully, successfully, but I am prepared for a difficult journey). So far regarding the 504 process, this school has not given the kind of support I would expect of a small, well-staffed, parent-engaged, community public school. In first grade with no 504, we had a great teacher and counselor and our daughter was well-supported. She was making progress in the are of social skill building and reading. This year, with a 504 in place, a new teacher and a new counselor, we have been sorely disappointed. Lipservice to accommodations is a shame... At the 504 planning meeting, the school psych who has never observed, assessed, or met our daughter dismissed a tool that worked well last year. After a few months, i had to ask the current guidance counselor to reinstate the tool. Yet, the teacher and counselor are not using it to its full potential. I can;t seem to get the compassion and attention, let alone interest of the current teacher or counselor. Very disappointing experience. I do not have high hopes for the ease and integrity of the IEP process.

Highland View Elementary School 3

Posted October 09, 2013
The school's behavior standards are very high especially for the minority children. It is a great effort, but there should be a balance for everyone. There is definitely some disparity between the children who are living in the apartment vs the ones who live in the houses surrounding the school. Unfortunately, it is mostly minorities and/or lower income families who live in the apartments. As one reviewer mentioned, "there is a culture of trust...there are no snitches." That statement is true, because a teacher will get away with so much and get backed by the principal. Also, the PTA is not as inviting to all parents, yet they complain about minority involvement. Some teachers have been exemplary while others are just getting paid. My child is bright but wasn't being challenged. However, if she spoke too loudly or said too many words in one sentence, she would be placed on the "traffic system" which is the school's way of handling behavioral issues. It made my daughter afraid to go to school, because according to her, "I could do nothing right Mommy." I hope the new counselor will work with parents about issues instead of just placing their children in behavioral groups.

Posted July 19, 2013
Great school for teachers and students! I work at a nearby school. Every time I ask a Highland View teacher about the work environment, I get the same answer --culture of respect and trust among teachers and administration. There are no snitches who report everythng and anythng to administration. The principal is very involved in every aspect of the school without being overbearing.

Highland View Elementary School 4

Posted June 06, 2011
HIghland View is a wonderful little school with a big heart. The principal knows each child by name, and the PTA is very active. Do not judge this school on test scores alone. It does a great job of educating a truly diverse population of sutdents. There are students from literally all over the world - Asia, Africa, austalia, Latin America. The school works for educated, affluent families as well as immigrant English Language learners. It is a tall order for such a small school.

Posted December 10, 2009

Highland View Elementary School 4

Posted August 16, 2007
We loved Highland View. The teachers and staff work hard and have a great attitude. This is reflected in the students, who genuinely seem to enjoy going to school. Our son got special attention and encouragement in his areas of need. He felt safe and comfortable at school. The student body is very diverse. This did not hinder the progress of our son academically or socially, but there is no doubt that it provided the biggest challenge to the faculty. HVES is small and is likely to remain so, which we found to be a positive. We got to know everyone and developed a communication and support network quickly. HVES is not the best elementary school out there and, given it's challenges, could hardly be expected to be. It is not the kind of school that does the work for you, but the kind we found easy to work with.

Posted May 22, 2006
I have children in this school and so far so good. Curriculum is strong in Montgomery County and teachers make sure that everyone keeps up. The class facilities are excellent and the school does have an adequate field. Staff is friendly and helps out whenever they can. The PTA is active and effective but lacks the strong participation of most parents (like many schools).

Posted January 07, 2006
This is an absolutely wonderful school. There is a very involved parent body, the teachers are excellent, and the entire school works very hard to create a community feeling in a very socio-economically diverse community. Many teachers who were there when my 20 year old are still there now when my 5 year old is a kindergardener. It really benefits from its Title I status by employing some top notch personnel in support positions.

Highland View Elementary School
9010 Providence Ave, Silver Spring, MD  20901
Last modified Highland View Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Highland View Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 8 reviews. Top