Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very ineffective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Montgomery Knolls Elementary School
Grateful to: Teacher

Posted June 16, 2016
Ms Greaney really was the best Kindergarten teacher we could have hoped for! She answered our class dojo messages at all hours. Helped our son go from not reading to reading at a 2nd grade level in one year and fostered just a great, caring, classroom environment

Posted June 16, 2016
We just finished our first year at MKES and we couldn’t be happier! The small class sizes (I think there were 16 kids in his kindergarten), earlier available drop off time (free breakfast!), individualized instruction (reading groups were broken down into groups of 4 kids so that instruction was really tailored to the level the groups were at) and diverse, supportive environment really has made a great impression on us When my son started kindergarten he wouldn't read a word of the books we read at night. By the end he could probably make it through James and the Giant Peach without help! And he loves it there! He is really sad he has to leave his school for the summer. His teacher (who was outstanding!) used an app called Class Dojo (not sure if every class uses it) that let us see how our child was doing (behaving) each week. More importantly, the app let us communicate via texts and get updates (both individual messages and ones broadcast to the whole class). That type of communication (reminders about homework, assemblies, or field trips) — or even just the quick notes we’d send at night about a misplaced lunchbox or jacket — were invaluable.

Posted June 16, 2016
This was (school year is over this coming monday) my daughter 1st year in school ever. (kindergarden) I have to say it's a wonderful school! I love that it's close to my workplace the office staff are so great! My daughters teacher, Mrs. Flood is so great and I love that I have a great communication with her. I would have loved to have gotten to know better Mr. G the principle; I've heard so many great things about him and I can see he is very engaged with the staff and the students but this is his last year as he will be retiring after 41 yrs in education. ..they all have made my daughter and I our very first school year at MKES wonderful! :)

Montgomery Knolls Elementary School 4

Posted April 17, 2015
We currently have a 1st grader at MKES and our 3rd grade child also attended before moving to Pine Crest. The new principal, Mr. G, has really improved the tone of the school. As a parent, I get the impression the staff feel supported and he is a visible and positive presence in the school, helping kids come in the morning, helping at lunch/recess. The teachers our children have had have all been very professional and caring, many going above and beyond expectations. The high FARMS rate creates challenges but it also has kept class sizes low (15-17 in 1st grade) and we feel they try hard to differentiate learning within the classroom. Very active PTA and we've been very happy overall.

Posted April 09, 2015
We had an amazing experience at MKES. My daughter had a fantastic teacher who went, above and beyond, for her. Their resources are great, class sizes small, and kids seem happy and engaged.

Posted June 12, 2012
This school is Silver Spring's best kept secret where children of every background and every ability flourish and reach full potential. Mrs. Collins is a very effective principal -- tough but very fair. She says what she means and means what she says. She sets the bar high for students and teachers and makes sure everyone is doing a great job. Congrats on your promotion and good luck in your future endeavors!

Montgomery Knolls Elementary School 2

Posted June 09, 2012
Good teachers. Too bad the principal is so unpleasant and dishonest. I think she cares more for her lip gloss, clothing, and fancy car than the children. Her staff actually use the word "evil" to describe her. Ouch! Once she's gone, this school should have a chance to truly be great.

Posted June 05, 2012
Several of our children have attended this school, and we've been consistently impressed with the quality and dedication of the staff and teachers. Renovations were completed for 2011-12, and the new expanded facilities are very nice (new gym, more classrooms, new playground). Parents and PTA are very involved, and the administration has been open to new ideas and supportive. Student body is diverse, with a great mix of families from all over, making the annual "International Night" lots of fun. MKES runs K through 2nd grade, after which students move to nearby Pine Crest Elementary for 3rd through 5th. The school website is helpful for getting to know teachers and staff if you're new to the school. There will be a new principal for school year 2012-13, who I'm sure will continue to make MKES a great school.

Posted June 21, 2010
Our son just finished Kindergarten and we were very pleased with the school. His classroom teacher was excellent, so were the PE, Art and music teachers. The end of year musical concert was simply phenomenal. I strongly recommend this school to all.

Posted November 18, 2009
Nice lower elementary school with small class sizes, good academics and great PEP programme. I feel lucky that my son has been provided with lots of opportunity to experience classical and world music with field trips to Strathmore Hall as well as Grammy winning artists coming to the school and presenting all kinds of interesting instruments.

Montgomery Knolls Elementary School
807 Daleview Dr, Silver Spring, MD  20901
Last modified Montgomery Knolls Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-2