Silver Spring, MD

Strathmore Elementary School 5

Posted November 07, 2014
I am proud to say that both of my sons have attended Strathmore. They were well prepared for middle school and made the transition with ease. The teachers really care about the students and only have their best interests at heart. There has been excellent leadership. Principal very approachable and knows the students. I would recommend parents to send their children there. Caring professional staff who have a love for kids.

Posted October 21, 2013
My son attended this school from grade 3 to 5. He now attends Parkland as a 6th grader. The teachers prepared him for the rigorous curriculum at Parkland and I am more than pleased. When we first became a family at this school there was a lot of focus on behavior. The principal saw a problem, addressed it and it was resolved. The principal is Great. She is involved with her students and knows them as individuals. She is very approachable. She gives advice as if your child was hers. There are some resources that could be added to the school to help improve test scores. My daughter is now attending in the 2013-14 school year with lot's of bulldog pride! Lots of friends, diversity, collaboration. The new curriculum for the 3rd graders is also being implemented and so far looks great. The staff are strict but caring and prepare students for their academic future. No costumes on Halloween coming up is a bummer. For their lack of creativity I take away a star. I hope more involved parents continue to participate and eliminate for good the behavior concerns in this area of the county. (it seems to be getting better) Hope this helps for new or prospective parents.

Strathmore Elementary School 2

Posted May 28, 2013
I feel this is a struggling school. The transition from Bel Pre Elementary (k-2) to Strathmore Elementary (3-5) was tough. Unlike another reviewer below, I did not find the school to be welcoming at all. Test scores are low, and there a quite a few behavioral issues with students. This causes a lot of disruption in the classroom and takes away learning time from other students. The principal is mediocre, but in school year 2012 - 2013, the gem on the staff is the principal intern, hopefully he will continue to be part of the staff in the future. This school needs many more resources in place to help deal with the behavioral issues as well as low test scores. It also needs more focus on higher level students who are not being challenged at a proper level.

Strathmore Elementary School 5

Posted September 10, 2009
I am so pleased with this school! It is our second year, and I have found everyone to be welcoming, friendly, and professional. I am an educator myself, and I previously had my children in a private school. I am now kicking myself that I ever paid tuition, since this school is so much better in every way. Parent involvement is welcome, and all my concerns have been taken seriously and addressed. No school is perfect, but the team spirit and caring teachers and leaders make Strathmore a good place for children to learn.

Strathmore Elementary School 0

Posted September 08, 2009
My son has been a student at Strathmore since 3rd grade he is now a 5th grader. I do not see any problems. Students are nice. Staff is great. I have volunteer numerous times. I like the scholl and it rally has helped my son.

Posted March 06, 2007

Strathmore Elementary School 2

Posted February 03, 2007
I am the parent of a fifth-grader. While the new principal has instituted many great new policies regarding discipline, unfortunately the administration and teachers continue to fall woefully short of harboring a successful school environment. There is not much follow-through when parents report bullying, threats, altercations, etc. In fact, the teachers and staff seem to be utterly unaware of the chaotic environment right under their noses. How can a child possibly be academically challenged when their sole concern each day is who's going to do/say something to threaten their safety? Strathmore has in the past, and continues now, to fail their students. It is the children who suffer the ignorance and unwillingness to act that the adults 'in charge' continue to display. With such an unfortunate example, it is no surprise that the students have no desire to rise above their negative environment. Thankfully, June's only 4 months away!

Posted September 10, 2005
Iam a parent of a fifth grader at this school,and while my daughter has had no problems there I am well aware of some of them. But I will not run away or try to run the school down. Become a part of the school and encourage other parents to do the same learn about the sip(student improvement plan) at the school. I have found that being involved in the school's community helped me know more as a parent and I was able to address problems as they came up and help with the results. Become a part of the solution. Don't just run away.

Strathmore Elementary School 1

Posted April 27, 2005
As a Parent of a 3rd grader I am very disappointed. I had heard rumors about Strathmore, but decided to give it a chance. I failed my son. He hates the treatment he receives at recess, he gets treated like a criminal at lunch. His only savior is his awesome teacher. The school is run by the kids. The principal needs to take control of the serious problems that surround this school. The no BULLY'S allowed would be a start. My son will not attend this school. I wish someone would take notice and help Strathmore.

Strathmore Elementary School 1

Posted April 08, 2004
I was the parent whom had provided a review in August of last year of this school and can now safely say after having my son at Strathmore for one school year that it is an extremely challenging school with challenging problems that are not addressed head on as they should be. Young children at this school with what I have to assume is little supervision at home, come to school with extremely inappropriate things that they say and do that expose children to things you couldn't imagine in 3rd grade. My son will not be attending 4th grade at this school and I'd suggest if you have a choice to put your child in a local, private school. Strathmore Elementary is a poorly run school. The teachers seem to be good but they can't manage the problems they have at this school effectively.

Strathmore Elementary School
3200 Beaverwood Ln, Silver Spring, MD  20906
Last modified Strathmore Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades 3-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Strathmore Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 10 reviews. Top