Woodlin Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 543 students

Posted September 15, 2014

My child was in grade 2 in 2012-2013 and loved the teacher but was bored all year. Our impression is that wherever the school could eliminate specific feedback on academic performance that a parent could use to advocate for their child, they did. Report cards generic grading (used many places) and there was little feedback on work beyond P (proficient) and the occasional ES (exceeds). When I asked the teacher I got feedback like "S/he is where s/he needs to be." Still no idea what that means. The most shocking thing I heard was the principal telling a PTA meeting parents shouldn't expect to see any grades of ES on the report card until the 3rd quarter. (Basically the child could not possibly have mastered anything until then. So much for helpful feedback on report cards.) At year end our child's standardized test scores were at the very top; clearly my child was not where s/he "needed to be" and the promised differentiation within the classroom had not been enough. We consider most of the year to have been a lost opportunity for learning and being challenged. The school's parents are cliquish and very engaged, an echo chamber with everyone there saying how great the school is.

Posted October 20, 2013

Woodlin is a dynamic neighborhood school where the talents and importance of ALL students are highly respected. The teachers show a strong commitment to excellence and place high priority on ensuring our kids receive the best educational experience as possible. Our PTA strives to share knowledge across families and to support creative educational activities through after school clubs and other enrichment efforts. We are very proud of our school and committed to maintaining its sense of community.

Posted September 13, 2013

After we move for a year now, I getting more and more strong feeling about how great this elementary was...great teacher great principal great community will move back if possible.

Posted July 11, 2013

I started Woodlin Elementary as a Kindergartener 25 years ago... Crazy I can say that. I am now a Kindergarten teacher with a 1 year old and when we looked to settle into a neighborhood, my experience at Woodlin was the criteria I set. I don't want to her attend one of these new mega plex schools, we want a nice neighborhood school with nice teachers and a great feel. Let's go Woodlin Wizards are great.... (sure do remember the school song! and so do my friends!)

Posted May 14, 2013

I am glad I pulled my child out. This school is for the elite who are friends with the teachers. Some teachers are excellent; others not so much. The principal always sides with teachers and does not seriously responds to parents complaints. My child is happily in another cluster where parents concerns are treated with respect. If your child is not from a middle class home and advanced, don't send him to Woodlin. It will kill their self-esteem. Don't be fooled by the ratings or the glowing raves about the principal. Look at the schools scores that had a dip in 2012. I pulled my child out just in time. He went from low proficient to advanced in one year.

Posted December 12, 2010

Our experience during eight years at Woodlin has been fabulous. Exceptional administrative staff, who understand and adore the kids as well as being excellent "administrators", teachers who motivate and make school fun, and incredible parent involvement make for very happy and successful students. One of our children was accepted to a magnet program and did not go. We have no regrets with that decision.

Posted May 1, 2010

woodlin is a warm and welcoming school. my son is excited to go to school everyday, there is always something to look forward to and the staff keeps the children motivated with all the special eccentives and programs.

Posted April 19, 2010

The teachers, administrators, staff and volunteers are the best! I have never had a question unanswered, my son has made more progress this year than I could have hoped, and everybody really cares about the students and their families. Outstanding school.

Posted April 19, 2010

Woodlin is a wonderful, supportive environment for kids to learn and grow!

Posted April 19, 2010

Woodlin ES is a cheery place, where kids, teachers and administrators all seem to be at their best and happy to be doing what tehy're doing. The sense of community is very strong. We feel so lucky to have Woodlin on our street and part of our lives!

Posted April 19, 2010

Woodlin has been a warm, supportive place for my daughter to begin her school career.

Posted April 19, 2010

Woodlin provides an environment where parents can be deeply involved in their child's education. The school gives us an opportuntiy to show our children how the world connects with them.

Posted April 18, 2010

The teachers are so involved and caring. So many parents are active and involved. We have a young, dynamic principal and an active vice principal and experienced office staff that keep everything running smoothly. It has been a wonderful place for both my sons.

Posted April 18, 2010

I love the dedicated teachers and administration along with the very active parents and PTA.

Posted October 15, 2009

I have a special needs child that attends Woodlin; he is in his second year attending.(grade 5) I must say that....our experience has been a great one! I adore his teacher and the rest of the teaching body.

Posted August 10, 2009

Woodlin E.S. is a wonderful school w/ a dynamic and creative principal and excellent teachers (though of course, there are exceptions as there are in any school). The student body is mixed both racially and ethnically, and is truly integrated -- your children will be friends with children from all different cultures and backgrounds, and it works very well. Our youngest, 3rd at Woodlin, is entering 4th grade there and has been very happy at the school, happy enough that we decided to keep her there rather than moving her to the gifted/talented separate school.

Posted October 19, 2008

I am the parent of a kindergarten girl. Thus far, I am pleased with the teacher, the leadership in the front office. As a parent I feel welcome and am eager to partner with tthe school and other paretns to give all the children the best school experience possible.

Posted March 4, 2008

Wonderful school, small class sizes, after school clubs, very active PTA. Diverse and high achieving. Excellent conflict resolution and behavior management.

Posted January 27, 2008

We have a K and 1st grader at Woodlin and have been very, very pleased with the education our kids have received.

Posted January 22, 2008

My daughter is in Kindergarten at Woodlin and and is really thriving! By mid-year she has gone from reading simple words to sounding out entire books. She also has made tremendous gains in math and can add and substract on a much higher level than I thought she was capable of. Most important, she absolutely loves it and her teacher.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2014.

69 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2014.

92 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2013-2014 Maryland used the Maryland School Assessment (MSA) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and grades 5 and 8 in science. The MSA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Maryland. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2014.

75 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 86% in 2014.

101 students were tested at this school in 2014.

>=95%

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 89% in 2014.

>=95%
Science

The state average for Science was 64% in 2014.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 6% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 23%N/A42%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students School psychologist
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
  • Join PTO/PTA

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

2101 Luzerne Ave