Bad
Good

Woodlin Elementary School 3

Posted October 23, 2015
The school is located in a nice neighborhood. By the Staff members are rude and not polite, specially the Secretary who has been for such a long time. What a difference when my kids used to go a private school. Woodlin personnel thinks they are doing a favor to us. What a mistake. I am looking forward to move to a different place. Also, some teacher are very "laid back" other not so much and for the student it's a big dilemma. Why my former teacher didn't have structure system in class?

Woodlin Elementary School 4

Posted September 15, 2014
My child was in grade 2 in 2012-2013 and loved the teacher but was bored all year. Our impression is that wherever the school could eliminate specific feedback on academic performance that a parent could use to advocate for their child, they did. Report cards generic grading (used many places) and there was little feedback on work beyond P (proficient) and the occasional ES (exceeds). When I asked the teacher I got feedback like "S/he is where s/he needs to be." Still no idea what that means. The most shocking thing I heard was the principal telling a PTA meeting parents shouldn't expect to see any grades of ES on the report card until the 3rd quarter. (Basically the child could not possibly have mastered anything until then. So much for helpful feedback on report cards.) At year end our child's standardized test scores were at the very top; clearly my child was not where s/he "needed to be" and the promised differentiation within the classroom had not been enough. We consider most of the year to have been a lost opportunity for learning and being challenged. The school's parents are cliquish and very engaged, an echo chamber with everyone there saying how great the school is.

Posted October 20, 2013
Woodlin is a dynamic neighborhood school where the talents and importance of ALL students are highly respected. The teachers show a strong commitment to excellence and place high priority on ensuring our kids receive the best educational experience as possible. Our PTA strives to share knowledge across families and to support creative educational activities through after school clubs and other enrichment efforts. We are very proud of our school and committed to maintaining its sense of community.

Posted September 13, 2013
After we move for a year now, I getting more and more strong feeling about how great this elementary was...great teacher great principal great community will move back if possible.

Posted July 11, 2013
I started Woodlin Elementary as a Kindergartener 25 years ago... Crazy I can say that. I am now a Kindergarten teacher with a 1 year old and when we looked to settle into a neighborhood, my experience at Woodlin was the criteria I set. I don't want to her attend one of these new mega plex schools, we want a nice neighborhood school with nice teachers and a great feel. Let's go Woodlin Wizards are great.... (sure do remember the school song! and so do my friends!)

Woodlin Elementary School 1

Posted May 14, 2013
I am glad I pulled my child out. This school is for the elite who are friends with the teachers. Some teachers are excellent; others not so much. The principal always sides with teachers and does not seriously responds to parents complaints. My child is happily in another cluster where parents concerns are treated with respect. If your child is not from a middle class home and advanced, don't send him to Woodlin. It will kill their self-esteem. Don't be fooled by the ratings or the glowing raves about the principal. Look at the schools scores that had a dip in 2012. I pulled my child out just in time. He went from low proficient to advanced in one year.

Posted December 12, 2010
Our experience during eight years at Woodlin has been fabulous. Exceptional administrative staff, who understand and adore the kids as well as being excellent "administrators", teachers who motivate and make school fun, and incredible parent involvement make for very happy and successful students. One of our children was accepted to a magnet program and did not go. We have no regrets with that decision.

Posted May 01, 2010
woodlin is a warm and welcoming school. my son is excited to go to school everyday, there is always something to look forward to and the staff keeps the children motivated with all the special eccentives and programs.

Posted April 19, 2010
The teachers, administrators, staff and volunteers are the best! I have never had a question unanswered, my son has made more progress this year than I could have hoped, and everybody really cares about the students and their families. Outstanding school.

Posted April 19, 2010
Woodlin is a wonderful, supportive environment for kids to learn and grow!

2101 Luzerne Ave, Silver Spring, MD  20910
Last modified Woodlin Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.