Takoma Park, MD

Takoma Academy 4

Posted December 15, 2014
I am very pleased with what TA has to offer. The teachers and admin care a great deal about students and desire that each child does well. The arts department is well rounded and I am pleased that students can be a part of more than one aspect. I highly recommend this school to anyone who wants their child prepared for college at the end of their high school career.

Posted August 19, 2014
I like Takoma Academy. The offer plenty of opportunities for students to get involved and experience something new such as study abroad. The academics are good, my PSAT scores go up every year. They have many events and a really good athletics program. The teachers care and are always trying to make sure you grasp a concept. It really bugs me that some people are saying bad things about this school. It's not perfect, there are some downfalls to this school, but overall it can be amazing if you put the effort to making your experience a good one.

Takoma Academy 2

Posted June 17, 2014
Most of the students are shallow, extremely rude, worldly and overprivileged. Some of the parents are even worse. Complete snobs. Yeah, no one is a perfect but it's not about perfection. It's about character. I was absolutely shocked at their behavior. The best thing about TA was the week of prayer. It brought me closer to God. Overall, I don't regret going there. That experience made me stronger.

Posted May 30, 2014
The new principal does not seem to put an emphasis on the academics, it seems like basketball is the focus. The blame game for when things go wrong shows a lack of leadership.

Posted April 27, 2014
The school has really gone down over the past few years. The principal they have now is sure not making the school look any better and not making any improvements. This school only glorifies basketball and does not even acknowledge any other sport. A few teachers are good but overall the education is horrible and too much drama in the school. Would never send my child here and I wouldn't recommend anybody to send their child here either.

Posted November 21, 2013
I am totally inlove with this scool,my oder daughter graduated from TA four years ago and is doing extremely well at Washington Adventist University.The ephasis that is place on Christianity is awesome,the mission trip they do each year has encouraged her to choose her career in nursing.My youngest daughter is now a junior there,expensive you bet it is!! but it is a priceless investment. i would not have sent my daughters anywhere else.Takoma Academy is family.

Takoma Academy 4

Posted July 22, 2013
High school is definitely what you make out it! Takoma Academy is diligent in having many events and programs each year. If you don't like something, get involved in student government and try to fix it! The cafeteria food is very tasty for being vegetarian and most of the teachers are willing to build friendships and help their students. The only thing I did not like was the small variety of classes, but that is something that couldn't really be changed due to the size of the school.

Posted July 15, 2013
I've been a parent of two students who passed through TA between 2007 and 2012. My children both excelled at TA. Their SAT scores were high enough to earn them high scholarships in college. Both students took advanced classes, and are now excelling in college-- I waited to see the sufficiency of their academic preparation before posting a review. The leadership opportunities are many-- both were involved in student leadership and other various roles. The sports program is broad and varied, and allowed for some travel. Other extra curricular activities such as the performing arts program -- voice, drama, and band (and ceramics!) were opportunities you don't see in all private schools. My children took advantage of all except band... but were also involved in the worship and praise band. Some of the staff and teachers have become personal friends. The school has done some purging of teaching staff that from a parent's perspective was needed. The physical plant has also had about a million in rehauling, and the place is looking quite nice. If I had a third child, which I"m glad I don't, they would definitely be enrolled at Takoma Academy!

Posted May 11, 2013
I am currently attending Takoma Academy as a High school as a freshman. I feel like an outcast at this school. The students treat each other, their teachers and me with the utmost disrespect by complaining and insulting behind backs. Whenever I think about this school - I want to cry because it has genuinely been a waste of my time. I have learnt near to nothing academic wise. Compared to my middle school education, I have pretty much repeated 8th grade. Plus freshman are not allowed to take Advanced Placement Classes which I think is absolutely absurd. A well practiced tradition at Takoma Academy is Chapel time, where the students and teachers gather together and worship God. Well, everyday there are presentations, singing, sermons and activities of the like such that are presented on stage. The presentations are excellent, however the audience will laugh, taunt and mutter and the slightest mistake you make. Now you may find my review of this school biased. I am telling you that unless you attend the same churches, hold the same belifes, are the same ethnicity, and speak the same way they do - then be prepared to feel like a weird misfit.

Posted September 11, 2012
This school has had 3 principals in the last 4 years... nuff said. You have no idea ehat next year willl be like. They have no accountability and the blamegame is played all day. They flat out give Sevent-Day adventist a BAD name and it's a shame. I have removed my kids from this school and I wouldn't send my enemy their. Its sad

Takoma Academy