Allenwood Elementary School

Public | K-6

Posted August 17, 2012

I have guardianship of my 2 nieces due to emergency situations that arose in May of 2012. This will be their 1st year in this school. I was given a hard time by Ms. Stumb and the other front office staff when trying to pre-register, which is filling out paperwork with the promise of bringing back specific documents for school. I had to go through the Board of Education School & Boundaries (something like that) just to do this. I attended the school's meet & greet last night. Upon assessing the event and teachers for my 2nd and 3rd graders, I may not like this school because it is small, does not seem to offer much as far as activities (choir, band, sports, drama, etc.) are concerned, and seems unorganized. Also, the students will be switching classes, which is usually reserved for middle and high schoolers. This is their 1st year in this school. I will let you know what I have observed after the 1st grading period is over. Right now, based on my current observation. I will give them a rating of 1.

Posted August 14, 2012

My child has been attending Allenwood for the last three years. I was very much satisfied with her school experience the first year. The second year, it appeared as though homework was being given on subject matter that had not been thoroughly introduced in the classroom and that more emphasis was being placed on test related information. It also appeared as though every other day students were being introduced to new skills before mastery of prerequisite skills. This past school year, I was very much dissatisfied. My dissatisfaction was due in large part to 5th grade teacher absenteeism; increased student behavioral difficulties, increased class sizes and lack of teacher follow through with mastery of skills taught

Posted November 17, 2011

EXECELLENT SCHOOL: The teacher are carrying and very supportive. Numerous times I have gone to the school at 6:30 p.m. to take my son to football practice and the teachers are still there. Ms. Stump the principal makes the school a family centered school. She is very involved, caring and nuturing and does everything to support the parents and students. She is outside in all types of weather greeting the students, or directing traffic , she is an advocate for our students. School year 2011-2012 the school was selected by PGCPS to be a test pilot program for a new acedemic learning style where the teachers and students change classes every 45 minutes. There is more focus on reading, writing, math and relationship building has been added to the cirruclm with an in house spsychiatrist

Posted June 10, 2011

Being a former student of Allenwood myself and having 6 of my kids attend the school I will say it is a very good school to attend. However the hiring of the Principal Ms. Stump, was the worst thing they could have ever done. She is self centered and cares only about making examples of children for her own self gratification. why not invest in after school tutoring or hire more people that actually care about the kids! they don't need a bitter old hag acting like she making a difference they need Mr. James back!!!!!

Posted February 23, 2010

this schools not bad but ms.stumb is the worst princal i ever had all she is worryed about is test scores and gives us packets every week ms.barfield is a great teacher also ms.clark and ms.morgan
—Submitted by a student

Posted April 16, 2008

My daughter seems to really enjoy the learning program offered by Allenwood. She is excelling very well in the first grade with Ms. Rose, Ms. Giano, Ms. Golden and Ms. Scott.

Posted September 21, 2007

I had two children to go to Allenwood. Now, my daughter is in the 10th grade, but my son is a 6th graders their, however, every since Mr. James has left the school it has not been the same he was a hard principal,but very caring. Ms. Stumpid only cares about the test and the scores that the school needs to get. Although, despite the principal I keep my son in the school because Allenwood does have some good teachers.....Ms. Barfield, and Ms. Gordon are exceptional and caring teachers. It's not about her test scores it's about making sure every students gets what he or she needs to be promoted to the next grade....Maybe get some tutors after school.

Posted July 23, 2007

I have an upcoming 6th grade son at Allenwood Elementary School. He has been at Allenwood since 3rd grade and I love it. The staff is doing a terrific job!

Posted June 27, 2006

I am a parent with two children at Allenwood and I have been disapointed from the first day my children started there. The PTA and the Principal have very different views on how the school should be run and the teachers don't go out of their way to help children that are struggling. Although test scores have improved the curriculum is too fast past and the TAG program is not very good. There is no art program, science or language being taught at the school. If I had it to do all over again I would not have sent my children to Allenwood.

Posted June 1, 2005

I have two children in Allenwood, one in Kindergarten and one in 6th grade. My experiences go back from when my (now 6th grader) came to Allenwood as a 3rd grader from private school. I was very apprehensive initially, but she had a strong foundation and I thought she could handle it. I was right! She has had some exceptional teachers at Allenwood. Teachers who step out of the mold to help children grow and learn. My daughter has done just that and even scored a perfect on her standardized testing thi year! My kindergartener suffered a little this year because of the dramatic change in curriculum for kindergarteners. But, with help from home, he is better for it. He will be heading into 1st grade with a lot more confidence than he came into kindergarten with! Keep up the good work Allenwood!

Posted October 8, 2004

I think Allenwood is a very good school and I love the turn at back-to-school night. This year was the largest crowd I'd seen in the 6 years that my son has attended. My primary issue is that I wish there were separate classes held for kids who are slower in math like there is for reading. My son is suffering in math and I have enrolled him in the Huntington Learning Center to try and help him catch up. This has been a problem for him since kindergarten.

Posted September 10, 2003

I really have had a wonderful experience having my two children at Allenwood. Mr. James is an exceptional principal. His leadership is outstanding. The teachers are wonderful also. Another enjoyment I have had is having my children be a part of the after care program. Mrs. Pamela Wright is outstanding as a person and director of the program. She should be recommended for her hard work and dedication to her students. Allenwood staff keep up the good work!

Math

The state average for Math was 82% in 2013.

52 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 83% in 2013.

53 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 89% in 2013.

65 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2013.

66 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2013.

59 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 84% in 2013.

59 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 58%N/A42%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

6300 Harley Ln