Temple Hills, MD
Before care: Yes

Posted December 17, 2014
My grand daughter was recently tested after I noticed her struggling in class. The test noted her low reading level,beginner 4th grader and she will enter 6th grade September 2015. Surprising the school will not be offering any resources/services to improve her reading comprehension skills. Is this normal for PG schools? Any suggestions on want to do now? Any advocate groups in the area?

Posted August 17, 2012
I have guardianship of my 2 nieces due to emergency situations that arose in May of 2012. This will be their 1st year in this school. I was given a hard time by Ms. Stumb and the other front office staff when trying to pre-register, which is filling out paperwork with the promise of bringing back specific documents for school. I had to go through the Board of Education School & Boundaries (something like that) just to do this. I attended the school's meet & greet last night. Upon assessing the event and teachers for my 2nd and 3rd graders, I may not like this school because it is small, does not seem to offer much as far as activities (choir, band, sports, drama, etc.) are concerned, and seems unorganized. Also, the students will be switching classes, which is usually reserved for middle and high schoolers. This is their 1st year in this school. I will let you know what I have observed after the 1st grading period is over. Right now, based on my current observation. I will give them a rating of 1.

Allenwood Elementary School 3

Posted August 14, 2012
My child has been attending Allenwood for the last three years. I was very much satisfied with her school experience the first year. The second year, it appeared as though homework was being given on subject matter that had not been thoroughly introduced in the classroom and that more emphasis was being placed on test related information. It also appeared as though every other day students were being introduced to new skills before mastery of prerequisite skills. This past school year, I was very much dissatisfied. My dissatisfaction was due in large part to 5th grade teacher absenteeism; increased student behavioral difficulties, increased class sizes and lack of teacher follow through with mastery of skills taught

Allenwood Elementary School 5

Posted November 17, 2011
EXECELLENT SCHOOL: The teacher are carrying and very supportive. Numerous times I have gone to the school at 6:30 p.m. to take my son to football practice and the teachers are still there. Ms. Stump the principal makes the school a family centered school. She is very involved, caring and nuturing and does everything to support the parents and students. She is outside in all types of weather greeting the students, or directing traffic , she is an advocate for our students. School year 2011-2012 the school was selected by PGCPS to be a test pilot program for a new acedemic learning style where the teachers and students change classes every 45 minutes. There is more focus on reading, writing, math and relationship building has been added to the cirruclm with an in house spsychiatrist

Allenwood Elementary School 4

Posted June 10, 2011
Being a former student of Allenwood myself and having 6 of my kids attend the school I will say it is a very good school to attend. However the hiring of the Principal Ms. Stump, was the worst thing they could have ever done. She is self centered and cares only about making examples of children for her own self gratification. why not invest in after school tutoring or hire more people that actually care about the kids! they don't need a bitter old hag acting like she making a difference they need Mr. James back!!!!!

Allenwood Elementary School 2

Posted February 23, 2010
this schools not bad but ms.stumb is the worst princal i ever had all she is worryed about is test scores and gives us packets every week ms.barfield is a great teacher also ms.clark and ms.morgan

Allenwood Elementary School 5

Posted October 26, 2009

Posted April 19, 2008

Allenwood Elementary School 0

Posted April 16, 2008
My daughter seems to really enjoy the learning program offered by Allenwood. She is excelling very well in the first grade with Ms. Rose, Ms. Giano, Ms. Golden and Ms. Scott.

Allenwood Elementary School 2

Posted September 21, 2007
I had two children to go to Allenwood. Now, my daughter is in the 10th grade, but my son is a 6th graders their, however, every since Mr. James has left the school it has not been the same he was a hard principal,but very caring. Ms. Stumpid only cares about the test and the scores that the school needs to get. Although, despite the principal I keep my son in the school because Allenwood does have some good teachers.....Ms. Barfield, and Ms. Gordon are exceptional and caring teachers. It's not about her test scores it's about making sure every students gets what he or she needs to be promoted to the next grade....Maybe get some tutors after school.

Allenwood Elementary School
6300 Harley Ln, Temple Hills, MD  20748
Last modified Allenwood Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Allenwood Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top