Bad
Good

Hi I'm very disappointed with this school, my son is on 4th grade and is being bulling my older daughter sent emails to the teacher and we have received no answer actually my kid doesn't want to go no more he cry every night telling the others kids hit him and they take his lunch. I'm desperate and very concerned for the safe on my kid, please teacher a principal do something and quickly please my kids is not going to school for this big problem

I HATE this school I wish my child never went there. There is many fights the school takes no control over. Also I feel like the school judges people from where they are. Example: I don't like that student because she looks ghetto and i'm not bout to work wit her!

This is now my daughters 3rd year and last year in this school. I tried to give this school a chance. The school has some teachers that seem to care however, they can't carry the burden themselves. Some of the issues that bother me are 1). My daughter never brings home a reference book (English, math, science). How am I as a parent to assist with homework (when its given) if I have no instructions. 2). Class work is not graded and given back to the student. How is the student suppose to know where they went wrong and what they need to work on? I asked the teacher why the classwork wasn't given back to the student and the reply was it is kept as evidence for a grade! Really how is that grade supposed to be improved! 3) Homework is scarce my daughter is finished within minutes. When I ask what for homework she shows my 3 problems she copied off the board. Again no books no instructions 4). The tag program is a joke there, this program is suppose to challenge my daughter by giving her above grade level work. In the 3 years my daughter has only had 3-5 assignments from TAG and that is a generous estimate. In the fall my youngest starts school. She won't be going to Avalon!

This is a Great school! The Principal and the entire Staff is AWESOME! Avalon makes sure that parents are well informed via new letters and voicemails weekly! Now that the new school building is completed and occupied I'm quite sure that the students will go above and beyond their academic goals!

I have been a parent of Avalon Elementary for 12 yrs now. My 3 children were and still are Honor Roll students! This school is very disciplined and has excellent teachers! Dr. Bruce is a Top Notch Principal!

I am a very displeased parent! My daughter will not be returning to the school after one term. There was no communication from the school to the parents throughout the term. I had no clue whatsoever about what happened at school - except from my child's point of view.

My children just entered their 5th school year at Avalon and I am pleased with the educational opportunities that are offered. Dr. Bruce (the principal) runs a tight ship but that type of discipline is what is lacking in a lot of households so I commend her on that. She makes sure the students are receiving the best education possible and makes sure the staff are on the same page as she is. Most of the teachers work very hard to make sure the children are receiving a good education and the parents are kept in the loop of things. Avalon isn't perfect but what school is. I highly recommend this school.

I was not pleased at all with my child's year at Avalon. The staff is really unfriendly. With recent budget cuts to schooling last year, there are no parent liaisons and the parent teacher organization is run by the principal. My daughter was tested for TAG and we found out the last day of school when we were paying for a library book we hadn't heard about until the last week where we were told that she would not get her report card if the book was not paid for (A $6 book they charged us $20 for). The librarian (instructional media specialist) told my husband that our daughter could have done better on the test if she took it again and he was clueless b/c we hadn't even been told she had been tested the first time (she's in second grade and they had told us at the beginning of the year that only 3rd graders were tested for TAG). The school's communication is very off and disorganized. The entire year our child was there, we were never notified via email for important things even though the PTO had our email address and emailed us for fundraisers or trivial things. I would encourage parents to ask for a transfer or try for the lottery if you must do public school.

school is not well run. my child's teacher was not adequate and the school had no parent involvement. will not be returning

Last modified Avalon Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.