Temple Hills, MD

Posted April 01, 2015
Overlook is a K-5 school with two programs following the state/county-approved curriculum. The traditional program has returning neighborhood students who will remain at the school until they graduate from the 5th grade. The Spanish Immersion Program started in 2014 with kindergarten entry via lottery. Eventually the school will become a dedicated Spanish Immersion school, graduating bilingual students. My child is a Spanish Immersion kindergartener who loves school and her teacher from Spain. She is definitely learning the curriculum and Spanish. I also hear good things about the other teachers. The school and central office provide materials and resources, including bilingual homework instructions, a language immersion portal and workshops, to help parents help their child with school work. The principal, program coordinator and teachers are approachable, but you might need to follow up with them more than once. Overlook isn t humming like a well-oiled machine yet, but we are on our way to becoming a great school. Working in our favor are a proven language immersion program model, support at the school and central office levels, and engaged parents and students in both programs.

Posted December 13, 2006
Well overlook has changed tremendously my 5th grade daughter is sent home with alot of homework and her teacher is excellent (Mr Rogers) my youngest daughter teacher also sends home alot of homework and she is an excellent teacher also (Ms Brazal) I am so happy that I moved to Maryland because Overlook as an exceptional staff

Posted July 04, 2005

Overlook Elementary School 3

Posted July 06, 2004
MY child came to Overlook in February. I honestly did not want her to attend Overlook because after doing some research I learned that the test scores were very low and the suspension rate was high. I tried everything I could to get her assigned to another school, which I had a right to under Title II (federal government takes over the school because of poor performance); but the deadline had passed and the county does not have procedures in place to accomodate transferring students. After all of that I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. Ms. Lowell is an excellent principal, she is very hands on and she cares about the students. But I also wanted to see more homework coming home, so I called the teacher and he explained he is not big on homework because alot of the students don't get help at home.

Overlook Elementary School 3

Posted June 18, 2004
My experience with this school was a good one. My son's teacher, Mrs. Pierce, was great. But to point out to what the last parent said, yes there needs to be more parent involvement, more homework maybe needed, but sitting down with teacher, finding out what her plans are from week to week, use the internet to find things for them to do at 'home' will also help them prepare for the future. It all starts at'home', you can not depend solely on the teacher, you have to have a imput as well. I personally always have him do for examaple now, have him do first grade and second work. That way I am getting him ready for second grade. You have to be creative at home. Best of luck with you and your children.

Overlook Elementary School 1

Posted February 05, 2004
There is not enough parent involvement in this school. The work is not hard enough for the children and there is too much Physical Education and Music. There needs to be more social studies, geography and science in place of PE and music. The school day is too short. It needs to be extended to 3:00 p.m. The children also need more homework. Not just one sheet of homework. They need book report assignments, cursive writing exercises, math, social studies and geography homework assignments to prepare them for the future.

Overlook Elementary School
3298 Curtis Dr, Temple Hills, MD  20748
Last modified Overlook Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Overlook Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 6 reviews. Top