Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Ms. Jones/Young/Hodge are great Kindergarten teachers. I look up to them the most because they have the hardest job. They are trying to develop fresh minds that have no clue that they have a lot of school ahead of them. I believe that it is there job to start that fresh mind off right and they are doing an AWESOME job. I can tell you that my daughter is ahead of the curve on many subjects. She loves going to school everyday and gets angry when she can not see her teachers and learn. She also hate disappointing them. When she is at home doing her homework and starts to get lazy. I tell her I am going to tell Mrs. Jones and then he attitude changes. Thank you my beloved Kindergarten teachers.You put my mind at ease during the week knowing my daughter is safe and getting the education she needs.

This is my daughters 1st year and all I can say is WOW. Her teachers are EXCELLENT. They pay attention to her behavior and academics. She is ahead of the curve on many subjects and loves her teachers. She even looks forward to going to school every day (whines when she cannot). I can tell you I was skeptical at first based on past reviews, but all I can say is PARENTS don’t judge a book from someone else perspective. Check it out for yourself. Also, the new principal is AWESOME. She listens when you have concerns and sees that they are addressed quickly. I look forward to the remainder of the school year. Also, the PTA is doing great things as well. I am trying to get my schedule clear so I can join. Hope my review has helped a little. I am proud my daughter goes to Samuel Chase Elementary, Home of the might Bulldogs.

Develops character: Neutral

Time will tell -- but I have a good feeling about it. I'm truly liking what I'm seeing so far.

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

I'm very impressed by his fourth grade teachers at this point. I'm looking forward to my son having a great school year with teachers who really care.

Amount of homework: no rating

I was going to say it's too much but, given the demands of the Common Core standard, it may be just the level these kids need to be working at. Some of the questions (e.g., add 66,222 + 49745 and explain how you got your answer) are a little...well, dumb in my opinion -- which actually makes it difficult to explain to a child. I mean...how do you explain how you added 2 plus 2 and got 4? You just did! duh

My son just started 4th grade at Samuel Chase this year and, I must say, I'm very impressed with what I've seen thus far. The staff and faculty seem professional, caring and organized. His teacher makes great use of technology -- using Class Dojo, TenMarks and other tools to interact with students and parents. The PTA seems very active and, most importantly, the homework and classwork are presented in a way that challenges my child's intelligence without making it too difficult. I'm also impressed that his IEP teacher called me today to request a meet-and-greet during Back-to-School Night (read: I didn't have to call HIM :)) Also, I met the new principal on her first day this summer. She seems very nice and qualified; hopefully a positive change for the school. Given that the Common Core standards are taking our children to a new and challenging way of thinking, it takes a school with the professionalism, expertise, caring, tech-savvy and, most of all, caring to help our kids succeed. I believe I've found those things in Samuel Chase. Here's hoping I'm right!

This school is Mold infected!!!! My daughter has passed out at this school...other children are sick....parents read about mold symptoms do your child may be tested.... Principal Jackson is the worst....no respect or care at all...... She is pay check concerned...not children or staff concerned

I WENT TO ENROLL MY CHILD YESTERDAY AND WAS HORRIBLE I LEFT OUT AS FAST AS I CAME IN. PARENTS DONT DO IT.

TIME FOR A CHANGE! OVERALL I HATE THIS SCHOOL. THE SCHOOL BOASTS OF HIGH TEST SCORES BUT HAVE BEEN TEACHING STUDENTS TO PASS THE TEST FOR YEARS WHILE ignoring other learning areas. I have dealt with this school many times through the years with different children. The lunch monitors will have the children outside in 34 weather without a coat. I was told if the parent did not send the child with a coat it is not the school's problem. No concern at all for a cold child with chattering teeth. The lunch monitors are mostly ghetto girls who seem to enjoy taking the children's recess from them for breathing too hard. The school is not very open to parent's visiting the classroom to observe. The teachers are under much pressure to get high scores for the schools and sadly, some children are lost in learning as a result. The school principal is very inflexible & uncaring. There are some good teachers there but the total experience has gotten worse with each year. They should get rid of the tyrant principal, the rude front office secretary & the lousy lunch monitors. The school needs fresh faces with positive attitudes.

My daughter completed her first year (grade K) at this school and I will say that I'm pretty much pleased. She was early entrance admitted because of the date of her birthday (late Sept.). She did very well adjusting to kindergarten from a daycare center and she has matured in this past year. Her teacher was great and communicated well as far as if there were behavior problems or if my daughter was even slightly injured (i.e. during recess). It really helps if you can be involved and see what goes on at school and in the classroom. During parent/teacher conferences, her teacher was knowledgeable about my daughter's progress and behavior and she knew her students well, too. I would like for her to continue here. We are looking to move, but I am trying my hardest to find something in this area so I won't have to relocate her to a different school. I haven't had a lot of interaction with the principal, but she seems like a tough cookie and doesn't play with mediocrity from the students.

Last modified Samuel Chase Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.