Temple Hills, MD

Develops honesty: Neutral

Posted September 03, 2015
Time will tell -- but I have a good feeling about it. I'm truly liking what I'm seeing so far.

Teacher effectiveness: Effective

Posted September 03, 2015
I'm very impressed by his fourth grade teachers at this point. I'm looking forward to my son having a great school year with teachers who really care.

Amount of homework: Don't know

Posted September 03, 2015
I was going to say it's too much but, given the demands of the Common Core standard, it may be just the level these kids need to be working at. Some of the questions (e.g., add 66,222 + 49745 and explain how you got your answer) are a little...well, dumb in my opinion -- which actually makes it difficult to explain to a child. I mean...how do you explain how you added 2 plus 2 and got 4? You just did! duh

Samuel Chase Elementary School 4

Posted September 03, 2015
My son just started 4th grade at Samuel Chase this year and, I must say, I'm very impressed with what I've seen thus far. The staff and faculty seem professional, caring and organized. His teacher makes great use of technology -- using Class Dojo, TenMarks and other tools to interact with students and parents. The PTA seems very active and, most importantly, the homework and classwork are presented in a way that challenges my child's intelligence without making it too difficult. I'm also impressed that his IEP teacher called me today to request a meet-and-greet during Back-to-School Night (read: I didn't have to call HIM :)) Also, I met the new principal on her first day this summer. She seems very nice and qualified; hopefully a positive change for the school. Given that the Common Core standards are taking our children to a new and challenging way of thinking, it takes a school with the professionalism, expertise, caring, tech-savvy and, most of all, caring to help our kids succeed. I believe I've found those things in Samuel Chase. Here's hoping I'm right!

Posted May 20, 2015
This school is Mold infected!!!! My daughter has passed out at this school...other children are sick....parents read about mold symptoms do your child may be tested.... Principal Jackson is the worst....no respect or care at all...... She is pay check concerned...not children or staff concerned

Posted August 20, 2013
I WENT TO ENROLL MY CHILD YESTERDAY AND WAS HORRIBLE I LEFT OUT AS FAST AS I CAME IN. PARENTS DONT DO IT.

Posted July 26, 2013
TIME FOR A CHANGE! OVERALL I HATE THIS SCHOOL. THE SCHOOL BOASTS OF HIGH TEST SCORES BUT HAVE BEEN TEACHING STUDENTS TO PASS THE TEST FOR YEARS WHILE ignoring other learning areas. I have dealt with this school many times through the years with different children. The lunch monitors will have the children outside in 34 weather without a coat. I was told if the parent did not send the child with a coat it is not the school's problem. No concern at all for a cold child with chattering teeth. The lunch monitors are mostly ghetto girls who seem to enjoy taking the children's recess from them for breathing too hard. The school is not very open to parent's visiting the classroom to observe. The teachers are under much pressure to get high scores for the schools and sadly, some children are lost in learning as a result. The school principal is very inflexible & uncaring. There are some good teachers there but the total experience has gotten worse with each year. They should get rid of the tyrant principal, the rude front office secretary & the lousy lunch monitors. The school needs fresh faces with positive attitudes.

Samuel Chase Elementary School 4

Posted June 03, 2013
My daughter completed her first year (grade K) at this school and I will say that I'm pretty much pleased. She was early entrance admitted because of the date of her birthday (late Sept.). She did very well adjusting to kindergarten from a daycare center and she has matured in this past year. Her teacher was great and communicated well as far as if there were behavior problems or if my daughter was even slightly injured (i.e. during recess). It really helps if you can be involved and see what goes on at school and in the classroom. During parent/teacher conferences, her teacher was knowledgeable about my daughter's progress and behavior and she knew her students well, too. I would like for her to continue here. We are looking to move, but I am trying my hardest to find something in this area so I won't have to relocate her to a different school. I haven't had a lot of interaction with the principal, but she seems like a tough cookie and doesn't play with mediocrity from the students.

Samuel Chase Elementary School 5

Posted November 26, 2012
I am student at samuel chase elementary school and its the best school ever.i am in 5th grade and i came from panorama elementary school this is my 2nd year and i just learned my multiplacation facts lat year with my awesome and matture teachers. I Samuel Chase Elementary School.

Posted May 12, 2011
I am so glad that I transferred my daughter to another school. Samuel Chase is the worst school. My daughter attended kindergarten there and she was the only one out of her class to not receive an award at the award assembly they held in 2010. How do you not give a 6 year old some type of award just to show a good job. My daughter and I lost a stepfather/grandfather and a uncle during that school year, so of course it would have been hard for both of us to focus. The teacher did not have an explanation as to why she could not give her a piece of paper with something on it. I attended the award assembly with the expectations that she was going to get something, if I knew that she wasn't I would not have attended so that she would not have been sad and disappointed and not understanding why she didn't get an award. The prinicipal was also very, very, very unprofessional, the only thing she could tell me was that "this is the real world." Yes this is the real world and it is sad to see people in the education field that are heartless. I am glad that my child does not attend this school anymore. They need a complete overhaul of their system, starting with the principal.

5700 Fisher Rd, Temple Hills, MD  20748
Last modified Samuel Chase Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Samuel Chase Elementary School Rating: 2 out of 5 based on 21 reviews. Top