Temple Hills, MD
Before care: Yes

Posted October 17, 2014
Great school. Great School Leadership. Excellent PTSA!!!! My kid is a 2nd grader (3rd year) at JHFI and I couldn't have made a better choice. His level of fluency in French at 7 is remarkable. Every year is better than the last. Keep up the good work JHFI family.

Posted September 03, 2014
Wonderful School. My child is excelling. The curriculum is challenging and my daughter already has a working knowledge of the French language and she's only in the First grade.

Posted October 28, 2013
Our school is an academic stronghold. We offer our children an immersion environment with excellent activities to enrich young lives. Our programs include dance, STEM club, robotics, Mandarin, Parent Empowerment and much more! If you are looking for a challenging school with great academics and after School activities, check out John Hansom French Immersion @ Shugart!

Posted October 25, 2013
My school is awesome, active, alive and academically achieving! My 2nd grader is already quite proficient in not only math, science and reading, but becoming quite fluent in the French language. I would say that is a great achievement for a 7 year old! The school is supportive of the academic needs of the children, and strive to provide top-notch education to our children. In a county that has not always been at the top of the leader board in Maryland, this school sets a higher bar, and helps to launch the county and school system in Maryland forward. The school also has a very strong PTA, complete with very passionate and active parents. Collectively, with the school and PTA effort this truly is a family and community spirited school, complete with a common set of core value to promote excellence in our students and school system.

Posted October 21, 2013
John Hanson is an awesome school where students are getting fully immersed in a second language for no extra cost! I have two children currently in attendance due to the much appreciated automatic sibling enrollment policy! If you decide to let your kids attend know that your involvement is paramount to your child's success and no English is taught until the 2nd grade. The only improvements I would like to see is for the program to be expanded with more teachers so that the class sizes can be smaller for the younger grades and extended to the 12th grade onsite.

Posted October 21, 2013
I love the opportunities that this school presents to our youth. Language immersion offers a great advantage to students in the greater DC area for job prospects in the future. The staff is very committed and stays after to help students. They tailor the instruction to meet the needs of the students.

Posted October 21, 2013
This is a great school. My daughter is in the Second great and academically she's doing very well. I must say the program is very rigorous so if you want to send your child to this school make sure that you have the time to be involved in his or her education. The principal strives for excellence. She is very much liked and respected by the rest of the staff. I am hoping that when my son is old enough I can send him there as well.

Posted June 13, 2013
School Principal, Faculty, Staff and PTSA Parents are making strides and major improvements to school structure, curriculum support and community. Advanced math offerings for grades 4th-8th to include Algebra have boosted test scores. The move to Shugart provides a fully operational science lab in Fall 2013 to improve science learning, STEM activities and assignments which will improve scores. Curriculum change by the County to Common Core will increase focus on writing in conjunction with reading across all schools. Great things are happening here and I am glad that my children are a part of it. Only concern is that Faculty needs to work on improving classroom management but the JHFIS Principal is already making strides to improve this skill set among teachers. KUDOS!

Posted June 15, 2009

Posted August 05, 2008
I agree. My son will be entering the 6th grade this coming school year and each year has been a challenge for him. With the support he receives from my husband and I as well as his teachers he has managed to remain on the honor roll throughout his years in the program. The experience of being taught by educators from various countries has taught him to be worldly at a young age. and this is what we want. As parents we also expose him to the French language by taking him to countries where French is spoken. It is an excellent school with an excellent staff.

John Hanson French Immersion @ Shugart
2000 Callaway St., Temple Hills, MD  20748
Last modified John Hanson French Immersion @ Shugart is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
John Hanson French Immersion @ Shugart Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 11 reviews. Top