George W. Carver Center For Arts & Technology

Public | 9-12

Posted April 29, 2014

I considerate it an honor to attend such a highly rated school in the areas of the Arts and academics. I wish everyone could attend a school like this for their high school experience.

Posted November 20, 2013

This school is wonderful for students interested in arts and technology, but not for kids with learning challenges. The special education chair is more interested in checking boxes than in helping students. Many of the teachers don't seem to understand how disabilities affect learning. An invisible disability is apparently not a disability for many of them. Kids with learning disabilities are frequently singled out for unwanted attention, are bullied, and receive more lip service than real intervention, strategies, and educational support.

Posted October 22, 2013

This is an exceptional school. Being part of the Carver culture is truley an honor. I didn't mind going to school because I was attending Carver. The teachers are understanding and want to help you so that you can be successful. Respect is something the principal and all the faculty stress since day one. The students are motivated to excel not only in their individual prime but also in all academic subjects. I suggest everyone to try to attend this school.

Posted September 17, 2013

Carver Center is a great school. Its prime programs are exceptional. My son is excited to be led into the world of programming. He has learned VB, C++ and Java now, and he has determined to develop his own computer games. He has learned to build his own 3D trains and tanks that can be added into those famous simulation games. I was extremely surprised when I saw my son's train running on Microsoft's simulation railway.

Posted September 10, 2013

This is a great school. My daughter transferred from a magnet school and she continued on in their visual arts program. They taught her very well at CCAT. She has developed her skills and is now making money while in college by selling her artwork and face painting. The teachers are very knowledgeable and they push the students to do their best.

Posted July 5, 2013

When I got my acceptance letter to Carver I was thrilled and glad to be part of Carver's culture. After a couple weeks I realized how much I hated that school. The primes are exceptional but the academics suck. I took two ap classes and got horrible scores due to my teachers who had no idea what was going on. I personally wouldn't recommend going to this school.

Posted September 12, 2012

Diverse enrollment, where everyone is respected for their own gifts and God given talents. Middle school was so difficult emotionally. It is nice to see a school that just doesn't talk about respect but walks the walk! It truly is the content of character that counts. Principal Steele and Assistant Principal Ms. Davis set high standards for the kids and they do rise to meet the challenge. Of course the new building makes us feel like we are not only the best students but confirm we are in the best school possible for my daughter.

Posted June 7, 2011

The art department is wonderful. The art curriculum is demanding, but student growth is observable throughout four years. Parents ask me all the time how I find the "academic" side of Carver. My observation is that if a subject is inherently connected to a prime (like English is to the Creative Writing magnet), the teachers are strong. The weakest department--in my experience--is math. My child did not have every math teacher in the school, but s/he had four. One of the four was halfway decent. The math department needs an overhaul. They are losing one of their best science teachers this year because of the budget, but almost all of my child's science teachers were decent. The foreign language department is disappointing if your child comes from Sudbrook Magnet Middle School, where the program is sensational. Incoming 9th graders should find a niche quickly and attend events at the school, as the "community" is school-based with everyone living in different communities.

Posted May 7, 2011

Students at Carver Center are busy on their primes in addition to their excellent academics, but they seem to handle it well. Many Carver graduates attribute their ability of smooth transition to college life to the busy life at Carver. Carver parents are passionate and very involving in all aspects of school activities. One great representation is the annual Carver Celebration, a great event worth visiting by anyone. I haven't seen any other parents are so willing to donate their time, effort, money to their school. They wouldn't send their kids to any other school after experiencing the Carver life.

Posted February 11, 2010

Because of Carver's magnet program, the students actually want to be at school, creating an extremely positive learning environment. This environment also builds self of steam and helps each student to become their own individual. I am so happy to have carver center as my high school experience. it has been wonderful.

Posted October 29, 2009

This is one of the best High schools! Almost everyone their is extremely excepting and open . It is definatly a place to explore and be welcomed

Posted October 13, 2009

Carver has engaged my two nephews, instilling in them the excitement that a good education can and should create.

Posted October 4, 2009

Carver has so much freedom and diversity. We have the best artwork in U.S and the best grades. Our sports teams have the highest gpa in the country.

Posted September 16, 2009

This school changed my life. Thank You Carver Center for Arts & Technology!

Posted April 9, 2006

As a current Student at Carver in the theatre department I would state this school gives me everything I wanted out of grades nine through twelve. I transfered into the Literary department three weeks late, and then to theatre two years late. This school provides many opportunities for me to seek out and experiment with what I want to do in life, and with a very responsible, open, and yet chill atmosphere, I feel at home being myself whether that means dying my hair blue or petitioning and raising money for a courtyard. The school is small enough to provide a very safe community where you know majority of your peers, yet big enough with 800 or so students to allow you a comfortable variation of friends and teachers. I cant imagine going anywhere else...we're the school between the maximum security prison (no worries) and the McDonalds!

Posted August 5, 2005

Carver Center for Arts and Technology is a decent school of a quality above that of many zone high schools. As a graduate of Carver Center, I can truly say that my experience is somewhat varied from other students, but valid yet the same. Over the years, I noticed that as new teachers entered the school, the quality of education seemed to suffer. Some of the teachers could not adjust properly and seemed to not fully understand the material they were teaching. As for the school as a whole, it provides students who want to work, with an opportunity to focus on their schoolwork. The school however, does not seem to really push their students. So those who do not want to put in the extra effort, tend to fall in the background of poor quality standard level classes and social scene that exludes other students.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted July 26, 2005

Carver Center is a really special and wonderful school. I am the parent of a 2005 graduate and a class of 2008 visual Arts student. The academics are first rate and the primes are exceptional. the student body is special because everyone accepts everyone else for who they are, all styles, all interests, etc. The faculty is caring and will really go as faar as possible to help a kid out. Mr. Fried is a fabulous principle, involved and caring. This is a remarkable school! The guidance department is excellent. I cannot believe I was lucky enough to find this school for my kids and that they were talented enough to get in - it has been and continues to be the best place for us!

Posted January 6, 2004

Carver Center what can I say it is truly amazing! The faculty and staff and students all work hand in hand to help ensure a successful school. At Carver you are respected for who you are and for the art that you do. You can be who you are! The teachers are well educated and that generates throughout the entire school. The bonds that are formed at Carver last a lifetime and the benefits from attending Carver stay with you for years and years to come. If you have a passion for you art go for it!

Posted August 27, 2003

I am also not a parent, but as a graduate of Carver Center and the cousin of a student currently attending the school, I feel that Carver has much to offer, both academically and artistically. The school puts equal emphasis on your 'prime' (field of artistic study) and your academic growth, which is extemely beneficial especially if you do not continue to pursue your artistic talent after high school (which happened in my case.) The school prepared me academically for college and a career equally as well as it would have prepared me to continue to pursue my artistic talents. Students supported one another and I didn't experience much peer pressure. Everyone had the common goal to succeed. Most teachers would go out of there way to help you achieve your goals. The environment was a positive one and continues to offer this type of atmosphere to students. The talent that is brought into and developed at Carver today is more refined then when I graduated (when the school only existed for 6 years, four of which I attended) which proves its growth. It seems to only get better.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted August 26, 2003

My daughter graduated in 2001 from Carver. I was pleased with [the] time the teachers took to know and understand their students. Teachers also help keep teenagers on the right path of learning.

Grade level

Algebra

The state average for Algebra was 84% in 2013.

163 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 83% in 2013.

178 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 83% in 2013.

179 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Maryland used the Maryland High School Assessments (HSA) to test students in English 2, Algebra, and Biology upon completion of each course. The HSA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Maryland. Students are required to pass the tests in order to graduate. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

Source: Maryland State Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 6% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 15%N/A42%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Specific academic themes or areas of focus
  • Technology

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• STEM
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Technology
  • Vocational education

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

938 York Rd