Towson High Law & Public Policy

Public | 9-12

Posted April 28, 2014

Towson High School has a superb Music Department with great involvement from the teachers and music boosters group. However, the excitement and fervor generated there does not carry over into other departments and in fact some teachers would encourage your child not to continue taking certain subjects rather than try to motivate or help that child succeed.

Posted January 26, 2014

I am very disappointed in Towson High School. I am sure it's a great school for kids that are self motivated, high performing and know what they want to do but if your child has special needs you might think about looking at other school.

Posted July 14, 2013

Towson High School has great academics and has some great teachers. If your child is high functioning asberger's or needs to be motivated or have their hand held or pushed a little you may want to consider another school. The guidance department is totally unsupportive and don't return phone calls and no one will seek your child out to try and motivate them. It is all on the child to seek assistance and if they don't realize or understand or aren't motivated they will slip through the cracks. No one in this school is going to try to bring your child along even if they have a 504 plan. Perhaps offering organizational after school programs or study skills programs for some kids would be helpful.

Posted November 15, 2012

An alumni of Towson, past school president, class officer, and model student, I can say that Towson has served me well as a resourceful and accessible institution. Positives: excellent AP class selection, extensively involved math department, many student leadership opportunities. Cons: not an extremely competitive atmosphere, some teachers with horrible grading policies, unreliable guidance department, overly bureaucratic administration (no senior superlatives, no MVP award, no "nerd day"... it might offend the nerds). In sum, with Towson it is unlikely that you will get in Harvard or MIT unless you are superbly self-motivated. If you want something along the lines of an enjoyable high school experience and making it into the state university, Towson is right for you.

Posted January 17, 2011

As a parent, I could have sent my child to a private school. I am really glad we stayed with Towson. Excellent experience, my kid will have choice of top colleges. Teachers care, kids are involved if they want to be involved. Outstanding curriculum and variety of extra curricular activities that could never be matched in the private school environment. Oh, did I mention we probably saved $80,000 by staying with a public school. You get out what you put in.

Posted July 22, 2010

Towson High is one of the best public schools in the country. It also is a very historic school.

Posted May 18, 2010

As an alum c/o 2004, I found this school to be pretty good. The academics and teachers are really good. Sports are off and on but usually everyone does ok. There are some bad students in this school, but the good ones tend to far outnumber this statistic. Very proud to call myself a General.

Posted February 26, 2009

I have mixed feelings about Towson High. It is very big which to some is a downfall but it can also allow one to have many friends in different social groups. While at Towson, I involved myself in the creative writing and arts programs, both of which were exceptional! Also, I took some AP classes my junior year and all AP classes my senoir year which allowed me to feel well prepared for college.

Posted April 6, 2008

There are a lot of good private schools in the same area as Towson high, but as a student, when I compare the quality of education between students at Towson and my friends that go to private schools, its the same education. The staff is dedicated and the teachers really want the kids to learn. I've never really been that school spirited but I do hold a sense of pride for my school. I know I do better here than I have done at other high schools, and if you're a parent in the Towson area deciding between private and public school for your kid, I would recommend this high school. The LPP program provides more options as far as classes and scholarships go even for students not in the program. Plus the art department is internationally recognized and competes with other high schools that are art magnet.

Posted November 1, 2007

Excellent teachers. Honors curriculum is watered-down by county policy. Expectations are high only for students in GT and AP classes. Students are not pushed. Class selection is poor. Honors and GT classes have been eliminated to increase the number of AP classes offered. I completely regret not sending my children to private or parochial school (K-12). I compared my sons' writing to my husband's writing (He's a THS grad) and the boys' writing is comparable to my husband's fifth grade writing from Hampton Elementary.

Posted July 12, 2007

THS is a great school, the LPP magnet really does well in preparing students for college, especially those who want to go into a law-realated profession. The other areas of the school are excellent also, especially the social studies department.

Posted April 5, 2007

My four children graduated from Towson High School. All went on to college, three have graduated, one is still in college. Towson gave them a great foundation to do well in college. The teachers cared so much about the kids. They were all in honors or above, which is probably where the most motivated children are. They have all made friends for life, as well. It was an extremely well rounded education, including academics, a fabulous art department, great dramatic arts as well,and a competitive sports program.The current principal was always responsive to our concerns.

Posted December 5, 2006

Towson High school is by far the most overrated high school in baltimore county. The teacher turnover rate is sub par. The available classes to enrol in is sub par. The administration is sub par.

Posted March 15, 2006

I graduated from Towson last year and I must say I miss it a lot. I was a member of the Law and Public Policy Magnet. I had the best teachers and that greatly prepared me for college. I love my university but Towson will always be close to my heart. THS forever! General for life!
—Submitted by a former student

Posted August 26, 2003

I go to Towson and I am a current 10th grader. I'm in the Law and Public Policy program and that's the reason why I go there. Not to mention all of the extracurricular activities and the teacher involovement. Good whole hearted classes with students who care. Plus with the AP classes and the Honors and GT are wonderful.

Posted August 10, 2003

I had a great experience at Towson. The classes are great, and the teachers are helpful and encouraging. The G&T and Honors classes are the best, though - they're populated by the kids who want to learn, and that makes all the difference. The art department is one of the best in the county, aside from Carver's art magnet. There are a boatload of AP courses available, and while you can focus on a few favorite subjects, especially by Junior and Senior year, Towson keeps its 'Tradition of Excellence' through all areas, giving students a solid foundation for college.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted June 17, 2003

The Law and Public Policy Program is why my daughter wakes up in the morning!

Grade level

Algebra

The state average for Algebra was 84% in 2013.

326 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 83% in 2013.

342 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 83% in 2013.

352 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Maryland used the Maryland High School Assessments (HSA) to test students in English 2, Algebra, and Biology upon completion of each course. The HSA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Maryland. Students are required to pass the tests in order to graduate. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

Source: Maryland State Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 8% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 17%N/A42%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music