Kettering Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 327 students

Posted July 12, 2012

Kettering has changed for the better I have been at kettering for 3 years and i am proud to say that it was the best years I have spent at any school.The teachers communicate with parents,students are engrossed in the curricullum.Its surely not as ghetto as people think it is. Principle Talbert is really doing a good job. I loved my time being there made really good friends and just loved the experience and they have hands on experience field trips at the end of curriculum.

Posted May 7, 2009

My child had his first and last year at Kettering Elementary for Pre School, after his first day at the new school for kindergarten, he responded it was great nobody pushed him or called him names. I believe there are students with behavioral problems at Kettering, that the administration and teachers cannot control, and unfortunately the parents don't concern themselves enough with their own kids to change that. I did appreciate the hard work from Mrs. Talbert, Ms. Backman, Mrs. Edelen, Mr. Steve, and others there very much. There are no bad seeds, only bad parenting. Kettering has so much potential, if it were not for those bad parents, who are bringing Kettering down.

Posted November 20, 2008

I agree with most responses. While we parents have worked hard with students so do the teachers at some degree. Unfortunately, the teaching my received was very uneven. I am still in the process of working with them to make sure my daughter and all kids prosper to there level. No school can afford to loose kids by going too fast and not meeting their needs. The teachers are friendly and I am impressed with the schools aftercare and extra circular activites.

Posted May 28, 2008

I agree totally with your comments. I have had three children go thru Kettering. After Mrs. Marr left Kettering changed. My last child only completed third grade at Kettering. I removed my child last year. This school needs to be evaluated at a higher level. I have also tried to call Ms. Talbert with no results. My nephew went there, and I tryed to get him tested for Special Education. They would not test him, because he was A/B student. My comments to them were you are giving him those grades. He is not earning them. Now my nephew is in high school with a grade point average no higher than a 1.40.

Posted February 16, 2008

This is my child's first year (kindergarten) and hopefully the last at Kettering. I have identified a problem with a veteran teacher. If Kettering Elementary exceeds anyone's expectations, then those expectations were very low. I have never been in an environment that the teacher insults the kids in front of them on a daily basis. I have heard my child's teacher tell students that they are bad seeds, they are bad because they don't have a man in the house, telling parents that they need to beat the child (while standing in front of the child). The teacher has said things like 'don't bother (to help a student read) he'll never get it.' While walking up to my child's classroom one day, 10 ft away, and all I heard was a door slam and the teacher screaming at kids.

Posted January 24, 2008

This is my child s first and hopefully her last year attending Kettering Elementary School. Her Kindergarten class has gone without a teacher for 5 months. The Principal Ms. Talbert says that's she available and parents can come to her at any time with concerns. This is not the case, I have left several messages and received no return call. Everything with this school is very last min. They expect a great turn out at the PTA meetings, but they send the notice home the day of the meeting. No wonder why the parent involvement is so low.

Posted November 27, 2007

Kettering Elementary school has the potential to become a great school. The current principal does an excellent job of leading effectively and she committed to the students. Some teachers do not understand the importance of 'teaching' students. My experience with ensuring my child's education has been less than favorable. I would like to see more teaching in the classrooms. This approach will greatly assist the school in reaching the above average educational goals the principal is currently seeking.

Posted September 28, 2005

My child has attended Kettering Elementary since Kindergarden. This is a nice school overall. The parent involvement is very low, the academic program is great. I think the extracurricular activities are great to give the kids a small break. This school is a nice school for kids to be a part of, they just need to get more teachers in there who are in there for the love of teaching, and will help students to be successful.

Posted August 25, 2004

My Children have attended Kettering Elementary for the past ten years. I have closely watched the progress/transition from Mrs. Marr to the current principal, Ms. Talbert. Overall, the school has been very good. My first child was admitted to a TAG middle school after leaving Kettering Elementary. I believe, for the most part, the principal and teachers try very hard and do an excellent job preparing the students for the next level of learning. If I have any gripe, it would be that I questioned the ability/certification of a few teachers. When you approach the principal with your concerns (and there is a general concensus among serveral parents that these concerns are legitiment) she is sometimes not very receptive to change. But as I said before, overall, I feel the school is one of the best public elementary schools in the county.

Posted August 18, 2004

Kettering has had its problems in the past but there has been a definite change. The principal has grown and she and are staff are presently dedicated to providing a superior education for our children. With continued strong leadership, teacher inservicing and dedication, the belief that every child can learn, and and needed volunteers, Kettering will become one of the best Elementary school in the county. In late April, I volunteered to plant flowers along the front of the building. Both Fifth and sixth graders, the building supervisor, his staff, and the secretary help to cultivate the soil and plant flowers. It was a wonderful experience and the evidence is still present.I agree with other writers that volunteers would be a great asset__not only to Kettering but any school.The children need us and if they are to succeed we must get involved. Commit some time to volunteer in 2004-2005, now.

Posted July 15, 2004

Kettering Elementary has gone above and beyond my expectations of an excellent elementary school. Excellent leadership and hardworking teachers are the major contributing factors.

Posted April 28, 2004

This school could be a great school. The lack of leadership from the principal and vision for the students prevents that. I am very disappointed with the processes to implement change. More parent involvement is needed to collectively bring this school up to the standards it should be.

Posted February 23, 2004

Kettering Elementary School (KES) has the potential to be one of the best in our area. But, the leadership lacks, too many junior teachers, and a desperate need for more parental involvement.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2014.

34 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2014.

n/a

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2013-2014 Maryland used the Maryland School Assessment (MSA) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and grades 5 and 8 in science. The MSA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Maryland. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2014.

44 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 86% in 2014.

44 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2014.

66 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 89% in 2014.

66 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 64% in 2014.

65 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 63%N/A42%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

11000 Layton St