Upper Marlboro, MD
Before care: Yes

Kettering Elementary School 4

Posted July 12, 2012
Kettering has changed for the better I have been at kettering for 3 years and i am proud to say that it was the best years I have spent at any school.The teachers communicate with parents,students are engrossed in the curricullum.Its surely not as ghetto as people think it is. Principle Talbert is really doing a good job. I loved my time being there made really good friends and just loved the experience and they have hands on experience field trips at the end of curriculum.

Kettering Elementary School 5

Posted April 05, 2010

Posted May 07, 2009
My child had his first and last year at Kettering Elementary for Pre School, after his first day at the new school for kindergarten, he responded it was great nobody pushed him or called him names. I believe there are students with behavioral problems at Kettering, that the administration and teachers cannot control, and unfortunately the parents don't concern themselves enough with their own kids to change that. I did appreciate the hard work from Mrs. Talbert, Ms. Backman, Mrs. Edelen, Mr. Steve, and others there very much. There are no bad seeds, only bad parenting. Kettering has so much potential, if it were not for those bad parents, who are bringing Kettering down.

Posted November 20, 2008
I agree with most responses. While we parents have worked hard with students so do the teachers at some degree. Unfortunately, the teaching my received was very uneven. I am still in the process of working with them to make sure my daughter and all kids prosper to there level. No school can afford to loose kids by going too fast and not meeting their needs. The teachers are friendly and I am impressed with the schools aftercare and extra circular activites.

Kettering Elementary School 4

Posted June 04, 2008

Kettering Elementary School 0

Posted May 28, 2008
I agree totally with your comments. I have had three children go thru Kettering. After Mrs. Marr left Kettering changed. My last child only completed third grade at Kettering. I removed my child last year. This school needs to be evaluated at a higher level. I have also tried to call Ms. Talbert with no results. My nephew went there, and I tryed to get him tested for Special Education. They would not test him, because he was A/B student. My comments to them were you are giving him those grades. He is not earning them. Now my nephew is in high school with a grade point average no higher than a 1.40.

Kettering Elementary School 1

Posted February 16, 2008
This is my child's first year (kindergarten) and hopefully the last at Kettering. I have identified a problem with a veteran teacher. If Kettering Elementary exceeds anyone's expectations, then those expectations were very low. I have never been in an environment that the teacher insults the kids in front of them on a daily basis. I have heard my child's teacher tell students that they are bad seeds, they are bad because they don't have a man in the house, telling parents that they need to beat the child (while standing in front of the child). The teacher has said things like 'don't bother (to help a student read) he'll never get it.' While walking up to my child's classroom one day, 10 ft away, and all I heard was a door slam and the teacher screaming at kids.

Kettering Elementary School 1

Posted January 24, 2008
This is my child s first and hopefully her last year attending Kettering Elementary School. Her Kindergarten class has gone without a teacher for 5 months. The Principal Ms. Talbert says that's she available and parents can come to her at any time with concerns. This is not the case, I have left several messages and received no return call. Everything with this school is very last min. They expect a great turn out at the PTA meetings, but they send the notice home the day of the meeting. No wonder why the parent involvement is so low.

Kettering Elementary School 0

Posted November 27, 2007
Kettering Elementary school has the potential to become a great school. The current principal does an excellent job of leading effectively and she committed to the students. Some teachers do not understand the importance of 'teaching' students. My experience with ensuring my child's education has been less than favorable. I would like to see more teaching in the classrooms. This approach will greatly assist the school in reaching the above average educational goals the principal is currently seeking.

Posted September 28, 2005
My child has attended Kettering Elementary since Kindergarden. This is a nice school overall. The parent involvement is very low, the academic program is great. I think the extracurricular activities are great to give the kids a small break. This school is a nice school for kids to be a part of, they just need to get more teachers in there who are in there for the love of teaching, and will help students to be successful.

Kettering Elementary School
11000 Layton St, Upper Marlboro, MD  20774
Last modified Kettering Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Kettering Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top