No rating

Riverdale Baptist School

Private | PK-12 | 750 students

Our school has a strong history of excellent Christian education and athletics.

Living in Upper Marlboro

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $240,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,600.

Posted September 5, 2014

I have enjoyed RBS over many years my son graduated in 2010. I currently have two children attending. The experience has been great. The teachers are engaging, enthusiastic and caring. The teachers inspire my children to do their best and set goals and accomplish them.

Posted August 15, 2014

My two children both graduated from RBS. One attended from K3 through 12th grade. Both went on to be very successful. Excellent school

Posted August 10, 2014

I have been a student at Riverdale since the 6th grade. Over the years seeing different changes had some good sides and some bad. Middle school was nice, I got along with most of the teachers well and had close relationships with them. High school was a different story. The initial principle who eventually left was there and she had her ways. She wasn't that bad even though she could have done some things differently. We got a new administrator when I was in the 10th and he kind of made things Alittle better. Now in 11th the principal left and Mr Harrison became the high school's acting principal and changed a lot in a bad way.He started to grow ignore parents and students request. Everything was all about the teachers. Especially when there was a new teacher came, was hard understanding and treated the students with disrespect. The administration had done nothing about it and had poor customer service. Teachers do not update edline like they are supposed to. I feel there is no help at Riverdale at all. If you are looking for a good school, I would not suggest Riverdale. They can do so much better.

Posted August 10, 2014

Riverdale Baptist School is supposed to be a Christian school. But in this school there are drugs, sex, and stealing just like any other school if not worse. The teachers dont stop to help students even when it come to the foreign language class. And several teaches find it ok to deny the student permission to go to the bathroom if they the teacher feels it is to early in class when in most cases 5 he student was denied in the previous class because the teacher felt it was to late. They mistreat our children and force a work load that they can't possibly carry then make the children go back and grade it also. This school is a joke and I would steer all families away from it.

Posted August 9, 2014

Riverdale Baptist has to be the worst school. This is supposed to be a "Godly" school. From the 3 years I have been a part of the "family" i have seen nothing but devilish behavior. Some teachers do not teach. My child has to learn from the internet how to do some thing. I've been told that the teachers allow students to grade test and quizzes. This is unacceptable. I would NEVER recommend this school to anybody.

Posted July 4, 2014

1st & probably last yr. @ RBS. Teachers work against students taking pts. off school work 4 any lil thing. Acting principal w8s til parents threaten 2 file complaint b4 he actually looks N2 matters. Teachers disrespect students but want students to respect them. Students don't have a voice - it's either the teacher's way or the highway. RBS even has a rule N the student handbk that support this. Some teachers don't put grades NOR assignments online but expects parents & students 2 know what the grades and/or assignments R. Teachers don't show godly love. One teacher constantly made unnecessary & unprofessional comments. When brought 2 attn of principal (several Xs) nothing was done til a white student came w/ parent & complained. This teacher often made racial comments 2 this white students. Math & science teacher weak - my child had to learn from the internet. Grading was subjective. BUT, chapel was the best thing @ RBS. Sports @ RBS were good - some coaches not so. Students seemed to get along. There were some ungodly incidents goN on that surprised us - sexual in nature - kids videotaping & sharing w/ others. Everyone goN 2 a Christian school doesn't come from a Christian home.

Posted August 14, 2013

My child is a student at Riverdale, and it hasn't been a good experience. He's been there from K-5 - 8th. The principal really don't listen to the parents, and the teacher is always right. Edline is a joke with some teachers. One minute you think your child has an A, the next minute when it's report card time, you find out that your child has a D. When questioned about the grades the teachers states that you should have come to them. When you explain that you had no reason because you thought your child was getting an A, they act like you are wrong. The teachers fail to realize that when they know that your child is not doing well in school that they need to contact you!

Posted July 29, 2013

I attended RBS from K-5 to 8th grade. I'm so happy I left. Riverdale isn't all its cracked up to be, and it only gets worse the older you get. When I went to Flowers HS after riverdale I realized I wasn't as well prepared as the other students who went to a public MS. But at Riverdale I was getting 3.5 and above. If i stayed at Riverdale I dont think it would have prepared me for the real world as much as Flowers did. The teachers baby the students where as at Flowers if you don't do the work its on you. Riverdale is a sports school. As much as they like to claim their academics are challenging they're really not. When I went to Flowers I was so behind with my learning making my first year at a public school, ever, extremely challenging. If you do want to send your child to a private school I would suggest a catholic one, and not Riverdale.

Posted July 12, 2013

I attended Riverdale Baptist School from K-5 through 12th grade. It was not always the best experience, but overall I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Riverdale. The curriculum is challenging. The class size is small and you get to know your teachers. The school is not perfect, but they more than make up for it in the way they care for each student. You can tell your teachers really want you to succeed, not just academically, but spiritually. Its a down to earth, safe environment. I've never felt shunned or ignored by teachers or staff. The building and grounds were built in the 70's, but its in better condition than most public schools in the area. The sports programs are out of this world. They just got a brand new sports stadium for soccer, football and track. Its fantastic. I would highly recommend not judging this school on what I've said or any of the other reviewers though. Go and see them, go with an open heart to where God is leading you to send your child. Riverdale is an excellent school.

Posted July 1, 2013

My son attended this school because I thought it would be a great alternative to the public schools in my area. He attended for K-5 and first grade. And although he had wonderful teachers both years, Mrs. Reed and Mrs. White, I withdrew him following several incidents and observations that really left me disillusioned. Two incidences in particular really caused me great concern. A Scooby Doo cartoon movie was shown by a sub while our regular teacher was out. It was an episode with zombies and demonic spirits. I do not allow my son to watch this cartoon at home. When I brought this to the attention of the administration it fell on deaf ears. As did the voicemail and email I sent to Principal Harbel about my son being inappropriately touched by a classmate. I gave a star to his two teachers in my rating. The administration is unresponsive.

Posted May 9, 2013

My child went to the school to take the exam, I had to call for almost a month to get results. Bad customer service, they were quick to process my payment. No follow up and they told me to be patient..Really?

Posted May 2, 2013

The teachers have no form of customer service. They go weeks not responding to emails, the math teachers dumps grades in at the last minute, some teachers do not load grades into edline until the report cards are due. The principal stands by her teachers no matter what. This high school experience has been a living nightmare. The administration knows how to come after you for a payment if you are less than 1 week late but you are not getting any service for your money. These teachers need to be held accountable. It is a disgrace how the faculty has no regard for the parents/students.

Posted May 2, 2013

I was releuctnat to enroll due to al the reviews but I had no choice in the matter. I sent emails to 3 particular teachers and I would not get any responses. They do not put the grades into edline like they are supposed to. The principal can be down right disrespectful with her lack of regard to her parent's concerns. She allows them to do whatever they want and the scary part is the teachers know it and they behave with a lack of regard for the parents. Alot of parents are taking their children out and I hope they do not wonder why.

Posted November 7, 2012

My son is in 8th grade he has been here since 4th grade. His educational experience have been great and very challenging. I also must say that the students there are great kids, well mannered and respectful. As a parent we always focus on the teachers and the education, but one of the main thing is the students peers. And Riverdale students reflect a very positive religious attitude.

Posted June 5, 2012

My son has attended RBS from K5 thru 2nd grade. We don't have experience with the current middle or high school, but RBS has an excellent Elementary program with a dedicated and friendly Elementary principal. All of our son's teachers have been qualified and professional. Teacher communication has been wonderful with email and use of Edline. Our son has grown both intellectually and spiritually. For Elementary, I would highly recommend RBS for your child.

Posted December 10, 2011

it seem like it only tends to the athlete not any actitvites really good most of the money that does come in seem not to go to the eduction side of things but to the afletices instead they need lots of stuuf fot the acedicmis but it not there

Posted October 10, 2011

He doesn t have to apologize to begin with. The point I am trying to make is that God will always do the right thing, and as Christians, we should ask ourselves in any situation How would God handle this? If a Christian can t humble his or herself to offer an apology and something that is small as such, then how can we be lead by the Holy Spirit and do the works of God? It can t happen, which might explain the high turn over at RBS. What s at the top flows to the bottom and the rest of the school. This is why Mrs. Bingham could not apologize for misplacing my daughter s work and later finding it. The same is true with Mrs. Campbell- she did not return to the meeting, offered no apology nor explaination. Perfect example of what s at the top will certainly flow to the bottom.

Posted May 19, 2011

Sorry But Riverdale is no more what it used to be. I am trying now to locate a good school to enroll my son who is currently attending Riverdale in 5th Grade. I actually wrote to the principal expressing my dissappointment over studies students recieve. My son had been in Riverdale since 2nd grade and it seems every year the quality of education is deteroriating more and more and this year 2010-2011 has been the worst so far with High rate of turnover for teachers and very unskilled teachers etc... Not worth the money anymore.

Posted March 30, 2010

My daughter attended Riverdale for four years (9-12). One of the best private school educations available for a reasonable cost. She loves her school and her teachers. I am very satisfied as a parent.

Posted September 12, 2009

My daughter was at Riverdale Baptist for elementary, middle school, and one year of high school. Although middle school had it's problems, mainly it was very disorganized, the high school experience was horrific. We left there running and will never look back. The grading practices and poor followup from teachers and the high school principle made our lives a living hell. The quality of the teachers is very poor and they spend too much time on discipline in the classroom. If a parent wants to visit the classroom a two-week notice must be provided and it must be approved by the principal. I realize this is because they have much to hide. There are teachers who do not understand how to protect confidential information and share personal information about families with other parents - highly inappropriate. The high school principal has poor social, communication, and management skills - trickles to teachers.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 6%

College readiness and student pathways

Students typically attend these schools prior to attending this school Public School
Other Christian Schools
Other Private Schools
Colleges most students attend after graduation PGCC
Liberty University
University of MD
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
College counselor(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Nurse(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Security personnel
Special education coordinator
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff French
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Other health impairments
  • Specific learning disabilities
  • Special education coordinator

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:45 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:15 p.m.
  • Eric Harrison
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• Advanced placement courses
  • College prep
  • Honors track
  • STEM
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
  • Service learning
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Security personnel
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Drama
Media arts
  • None

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Chess club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What are your chances?

Students typically come from these schools
Public School

$9000 - $11000
Vouchers accepted
Financial aid offered

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
PGCC
Liberty University
University of MD
College preparation / awareness offered
College prep programs/courses during the year
College presentations or information sessions
SAT/ACT prep classes
Visiting teachers or lecturers from colleges

1133 Largo Rd