Upper Marlboro, MD

Riverdale Baptist School 3

Posted April 08, 2015
My son has attended RBS for 3yrs . My experience as been good and bad. Some of the teachers do care about the students and some don't. They have a serious problem with peer pressure which isn't address by the teachers. They turn their heads. The administration say they will address the problem but nothing really happens. I wonder are the teachers really Christians ... They should be more understanding to the children listen to them. They have a voice. Otherwise RBS is ok to me. Would I return probably, I have a voice.

Posted April 04, 2015
As a teacher here, I must advise that the negative reviews of this school are more truthful than not. It is unfortunate that Riverdale's Christianity seems to fade outside of the chapel service. There are many problems in the administration & teacher's frustrations are felt by some students in the classroom.

Riverdale Baptist School 5

Posted September 05, 2014
I have enjoyed RBS over many years my son graduated in 2010. I currently have two children attending. The experience has been great. The teachers are engaging, enthusiastic and caring. The teachers inspire my children to do their best and set goals and accomplish them.

Riverdale Baptist School 5

Posted August 15, 2014
My two children both graduated from RBS. One attended from K3 through 12th grade. Both went on to be very successful. Excellent school

Posted August 10, 2014
I have been a student at Riverdale since the 6th grade. Over the years seeing different changes had some good sides and some bad. Middle school was nice, I got along with most of the teachers well and had close relationships with them. High school was a different story. The initial principle who eventually left was there and she had her ways. She wasn't that bad even though she could have done some things differently. We got a new administrator when I was in the 10th and he kind of made things Alittle better. Now in 11th the principal left and Mr Harrison became the high school's acting principal and changed a lot in a bad way.He started to grow ignore parents and students request. Everything was all about the teachers. Especially when there was a new teacher came, was hard understanding and treated the students with disrespect. The administration had done nothing about it and had poor customer service. Teachers do not update edline like they are supposed to. I feel there is no help at Riverdale at all. If you are looking for a good school, I would not suggest Riverdale. They can do so much better.
5 people found this helpful

Posted August 10, 2014
Riverdale Baptist School is supposed to be a Christian school. But in this school there are drugs, sex, and stealing just like any other school if not worse. The teachers dont stop to help students even when it come to the foreign language class. And several teaches find it ok to deny the student permission to go to the bathroom if they the teacher feels it is to early in class when in most cases 5 he student was denied in the previous class because the teacher felt it was to late. They mistreat our children and force a work load that they can't possibly carry then make the children go back and grade it also. This school is a joke and I would steer all families away from it.

Posted August 09, 2014
Riverdale Baptist has to be the worst school. This is supposed to be a "Godly" school. From the 3 years I have been a part of the "family" i have seen nothing but devilish behavior. Some teachers do not teach. My child has to learn from the internet how to do some thing. I've been told that the teachers allow students to grade test and quizzes. This is unacceptable. I would NEVER recommend this school to anybody.

Posted July 04, 2014
1st & probably last yr. @ RBS. Teachers work against students taking pts. off school work 4 any lil thing. Acting principal w8s til parents threaten 2 file complaint b4 he actually looks N2 matters. Teachers disrespect students but want students to respect them. Students don't have a voice - it's either the teacher's way or the highway. RBS even has a rule N the student handbk that support this. Some teachers don't put grades NOR assignments online but expects parents & students 2 know what the grades and/or assignments R. Teachers don't show godly love. One teacher constantly made unnecessary & unprofessional comments. When brought 2 attn of principal (several Xs) nothing was done til a white student came w/ parent & complained. This teacher often made racial comments 2 this white students. Math & science teacher weak - my child had to learn from the internet. Grading was subjective. BUT, chapel was the best thing @ RBS. Sports @ RBS were good - some coaches not so. Students seemed to get along. There were some ungodly incidents goN on that surprised us - sexual in nature - kids videotaping & sharing w/ others. Everyone goN 2 a Christian school doesn't come from a Christian home.

Posted August 14, 2013
My child is a student at Riverdale, and it hasn't been a good experience. He's been there from K-5 - 8th. The principal really don't listen to the parents, and the teacher is always right. Edline is a joke with some teachers. One minute you think your child has an A, the next minute when it's report card time, you find out that your child has a D. When questioned about the grades the teachers states that you should have come to them. When you explain that you had no reason because you thought your child was getting an A, they act like you are wrong. The teachers fail to realize that when they know that your child is not doing well in school that they need to contact you!

Posted July 29, 2013
I attended RBS from K-5 to 8th grade. I'm so happy I left. Riverdale isn't all its cracked up to be, and it only gets worse the older you get. When I went to Flowers HS after riverdale I realized I wasn't as well prepared as the other students who went to a public MS. But at Riverdale I was getting 3.5 and above. If i stayed at Riverdale I dont think it would have prepared me for the real world as much as Flowers did. The teachers baby the students where as at Flowers if you don't do the work its on you. Riverdale is a sports school. As much as they like to claim their academics are challenging they're really not. When I went to Flowers I was so behind with my learning making my first year at a public school, ever, extremely challenging. If you do want to send your child to a private school I would suggest a catholic one, and not Riverdale.
2 people found this helpful

Riverdale Baptist School
1133 Largo Rd, Upper Marlboro, MD  20774
Last modified Riverdale Baptist School is a Private school that serves grades PK-12
Riverdale Baptist School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 66 reviews. Top