St Mary Of The Assumption School 4

Posted August 05, 2015
St. Mary's of the Assumption is a wonderful school. It has great teachers and staff. The parent participation could better. We have been at St Mary's for five years and the only things that need improvement are the science program, more projects, and the school needs at least four trips per grade per year. Most of the area catholic schools have STEM programs but St Mary's has yet to jump in and get one. Recess duty is okay. It isn't the funniest thing to do but the head recess parent is great and she is there everyday from what it seems. She worked with my schedule so that I could get my days done. The lunch program is so much better. The food is so much healthier. My child that has graduated from St. Mary's is doing well in high school. I also would like to see either smaller class sizes or a aid for each class up to 5th grade. Overall the teachers care and the parents that help out are great.

Posted January 08, 2015
St Mary's is a high quality excellent school. Children leave St Mary's well prepared for High School and life in general. The school has great academics and teaches High Moral Values. I have had several children attend and graduate. I can only say that each of my children has excelled in School and life and I attribute it to the Values Morals and Education they received at St Mary of The Assumption. By the way I am not and never have been in or associated with a click, in addition I encourage my child to take responsibility for their own actions. If you are considering a Catholic Elementary School you will not be disappointed.

Posted June 14, 2014
I have a son that just finished pre k as well as a son that just finished kindergarten. My son did pick up some behaviors but we worked with him at home and explained to him we don't follow others and he ended up fine. I know that my kids are getting a great education at St Mary's. They both test well and love going to school. I see how much my kids have grown. My sons love all of the staff there. I don't mind volunteering to help out. My boys benefit from seeing their parents at the school. Volunteering also helps you know who is working with your child. My sons have never been cursed at. Overall I had good experiences with my boys teachers. I can't speak on the favoritism because I have not experienced that and both of my kids meet the age requirements. I do think that some parents expect to much. Some kids start off rough but as long as the school and parents work together, most kids end up fine. If you don't want to do lunch duty or volunteer just pay the fee. Private school is mostly funded by the parents so it takes a little extra to make things work. We have not reached 5th grade yet so I can't speak on that. Thanks to all of the staff at St. Mary's for a great year.

St Mary Of The Assumption School 4

Posted June 14, 2014
St. Mary's is a wonder school of academic excellence. We have been at the school for years. The two parents who are talking about the boy in the Prek should be ashamed of themselves for speaking that way about a child. All kids act up and do things that they are not supposed to. PRIVATE SCHOOL IS NO EXCEPTION. No matter what school your child goes to, there will always be a child who acts in a way that you don't like. GET OVER IT! The teachers work hard and all of the kids do well in high school and beyond. I have a child to prove it, and he started off rough in kindergarten. Most of the parents complaining are parents who don't put any effort into helping the problem. Working or being a single parent is not a excuse to be a lazy parent. The parent that is a room mom should really be ashamed because it is against privacy regulations to talk about what you see. I am sure your child has issues that she can work on. If your child already completed a prek program and you choose to put your child back in prek blame yourself for not looking into other options. There are schools that allow kids test into kindergarten early. I recommend St. Mary's to parents wanting a quality school.

St Mary Of The Assumption School 3

Posted June 12, 2014
The school is okay. My child just finished pre k here. The teacher was okay she is new. But I have to agree with the below comments about favoritism my child couldn't start early due to the strict age requirements but they had a few 3 year olds in the class. 3 year olds that belonged to other teachers in the school but my 4 year old had to do pre k4 over because you had to be 5 for kindergarten. So if they are going to bend the rules for some be fair about. The good thing is my child was tested and scored very high and was accepted to another prestigious program. I don't like how my child was called the b word on three different occasions by another pre k student and I was told it was handled but she was called a b again. As far as volunteering I was a room parent but as a single mom the volunteering can become overwhelming when you have kids at different schools and working. I do think the recess and lunch duties are excessive. St Mary's Landover and St Matthias doesn't require recess or lunch duty just to name a few. The parent that made the it takes a village comment is probably the parent of that bad little boy that stays in trouble. It starts at home first.

Posted June 03, 2014
The school is a good school, period. I cannot speak for the 5th grade issue, and the principle is somewhat aloof. However, the academics are good and comparable to other private schools in MD, DC, and VA (that cost less than 12K a year), and students that attend the school are able to compete with other students to attend choice secondary schools. The school is a Catholic School, so yes, parents are expected to volunteer and do things that Catholics do: support the community. The comments about teachers having children at the school is nonsensical: I would suspect that a parent would prefer that teachers have enough confidence in the performance of the school to enroll their own children! I would be concerned if the teachers DID NOT enroll their own children. I think that some parents have unrealistic expectations. Catholic schools keep tuition low by having mandatory volunteer hours and contributions from the Archdiocese. If a parent does not want to volunteer, then the parent should pay the fee. If the parent complains about the fee, then the parent can pay about 4K more a year for a comparable non-Catholic private education. I like the school.

Posted June 02, 2014
I love the pre k class. The teacher and aids are wonderful. The teacher is new but she is doing a amazing job. She is great at responding to emails and keeping parents informed about what is happening. She has really helped my child develop and grow this year. I also love the kindergarten teacher and aids too. They have been great with my oldest child and I look forward to working with them again next year. Both of my children are doing great academically. I can tell the staff at St. Mary's really cares about all of the children. Even the school cook is wonderful and goes above and beyond and takes time to help out with the kids. I would like to see a lot more parent participation. As I read these reviews I wonder how many of the parents with negative thoughts actually spend time at the school or attend HSA meetings. If they spent a little more time at the school I believe that they would feel differently. I also don't think that 3 days a year of recess duty is to much to ask a parent for. Our children and their education should come first. We have to make time for our children. It takes a village to raise a child. My family is proud to be a part of St. Mary's village.

St Mary Of The Assumption School 2

Posted May 22, 2014
This school is OKAY i mean really as a parent my child has been doing great in school and the teachers help her with her studies. But not so sure about the principal he doesn't do so much when the kids say bad things or starts fights especially when a child in class cursed at a teacher all he did was get him in school suspension i am so sorry to say but i have a really bad feelings about the next few years in this school.

St Mary Of The Assumption School 1

Posted May 20, 2014
This school needs a new office staff. I don t care for the principal or staff. There is clearly favoritism among the staff. Half of the students at the school are children to teachers and staff. Every time I look they are sending emails asking for money. The latest email was for each class to provide a baby shower gift to a teacher. That is unacceptable. My child doesn't even know that teacher or takes any of her classes. They are money hungry, academics is mediocre, and they ask a lot of unreasonable request from parents that work (i.e. recess duty 3 times a year) and protesting abortion clinics around lent time. I cannot do recess duty because I work. I will not be boycotting abortion clinics at lent time because I work and I am not explaining to my prek, k or 1st grader about abortions. The stuff I do ask to volunteer for does not count towards volunteer hours (such as field trips). I was told by the office all Catholic Schools required that. But when I looked into two other schools they both said they realize parents work and do not require recess or lunch duty but is more flexible with volunteer hours. Needless to say my child will not be returning next year.

St Mary Of The Assumption School 2

Posted March 28, 2014
St. Mary s is mediocre. I put my child here based on reputation and a successful interview with the pre-k teacher my child was SUPPOSED to have. A couple of weeks before school started, I was sent an email stating that there was a new pre-k teacher. Not impressed with the new teacher at all! Needless to say my child is bored ALL the time. The classroom size is HUGE, my child has picked up a ton of bad behavior AND language. My child has been in preschool since the age of 2 and I have never heard or seen some of the behavior that my child displays at home each week. When I ask where certain phrases or behavior is from it s always the same bad little boys named in the class. The children curse (YES PRE-K children are cursing), they fight (my child has came home injured a FEW times), and a couple of the kids I have seen firsthand defy authority. I put my child in private school afraid of the public school negative stigma of the large classroom sizes, bad kids, and academics. My area public school has better ratings than St. Mary s. Needless to say my child will be attending public school next year in our area. St. Mary s is a high price public school!

St Mary Of The Assumption School
4610 Largo Road, Upper Marlboro, MD  20772
Last modified St Mary Of The Assumption School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
St Mary Of The Assumption School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 38 reviews. Top