No rating

Excellence Christian School

Private | PK-12 | 136 students

Living in Upper Marlboro

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $232,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,620.

Posted October 23, 2014

Excellence Christian School is AMAZING!!! Dr. Lee, the principal is the best principal that I have ever come in contact with. She truly cares about each student and even the staff. The curriculum is awesome and children are learning above grade level. I saw complaints about them not handling children with disabilities, but they clearly tell you that when you register so I don't get the complaints. I love it and my child will be here until they make her leave.

Posted June 9, 2014

My child has attended ECS for two years. The first year was good; however, the second year was a huge disappointment. First, we were deeply disappointed with how the teacher and administrators handled class conflict and class dynamics. As a previous rating stated, the teachers and administrators do not go the extra mile to truly nurture your child(ren). My child is elementary school age and he was not nurtured or encouraged and his teacher did not spend a lick of extra time with him for anything. The teacher hardly followed up with parents and hardly ever provided voluntary feedback. Unfortunately, it appeared that the administrators/teachers' children were not disciplined the same as other students. The administration seemed to turn a blind-eye to the wrong-doings of their children but readily disciplined other children for the same behavior. Because this is supposed to be a Christian environment, we were very surprised at the school's actions and way of handling matters. Needless to say, we are happy this school year is over so we can move on. It is my understanding that the school will be losing a good number of students for similar reasons.

Posted March 8, 2014

Dr. Lee is my principal and she is awesome. She listens to the students & cares about our grades. Dominique Weston 3rd Grader ECS Rocks!!!!

Posted March 7, 2014

Latest Good News: -Principal s Scholar Luncheons - Media Center Grand Opening - NASA visit and field trip for upper school. - NSA workshop for 6th -upper school (2 hour Mission Impossible STEM activity) -LEGO STEM sessions - NASA to establish a more consistent relationship with ESC in terms of implementing the NASA STEM curriculum in grades K-12. This curriculum would provide our students with weekly hands on project based learning activities in the areas of science, technology, engineering, math and also incorporate art design as well. The funding for this initiative has been the focus of the PTO fundraising goals for the 2013-2014 SY and we are anticipating the launch of the school wide STEM program next year. Once funding for the program is secured, our staff will be trained at the NASA site in Greenbelt on the effective implementation of the program.

Posted October 17, 2013

Excellence Christian School has provided a great opportunity for my child to receive a great education. All of the lower graded classroom sizes are small and they include a Teacher s Assistant. The facilities are kept impeccably clean and modern. Dr. Lee the principal is outstanding. It means a lot when you can attend a school that the principal has an open door policy. The school has a very active and present PTO that supports the children and families working with the schools administration. This school would be a great choice for any family!

Posted October 1, 2013

Excellence Christian School is exactly what the name says; it is an excellent school, with an excellent principal, excellent teachers and an excellent staff. The schools foundation it set in Christianity. The environment is warm and loving, and the students excel spiritually, academically and personally. Students and parents are greeted each morning with a smile from the principal and surrounded throughout the day by educators who have the children's best entrances at heart. Imagine a school filled with loving family members and great friends - now you know what it's like to be a part of the Excellence experience.

Posted October 1, 2013

Excellence is the best of homeschooling and private schooling in a truly safe and Christian atmosphere. The facilities are well maintained and modern. Even though the school has only been in exsistance for 10 years, it has surpassed other private schools in the area. Dr. Lee, the principal, is an educator with a heart for her students and teachers. Check out their website. It is our family's choice. As this school attracts even more dedicated families that give to the school more than just paying the tuition, the school will florish to attract families all over the DC Metro area and some international families that move into the area. Elementary grade classes have grown in size as a wave of new families come to ECS and stay. Enroll early.

Posted September 28, 2013

ECS, we call it, is one of the most family friendly schools I know. The education is great. The Principal is personable and always available. The PTO activities, e.g. drive-in movie night, fall social, etc. are a wonderful way to keep the socialization of the parents fun. A little more parental involvement would top it off.

Posted June 26, 2013

This is a wonderful school. The Staff will put in the extra time to help the students. The Principal's Open Door Policy works well for working parents. The tutition price increase is a bit much especially if you are a returning student I personally think it should be a discount for returning familes.

Posted January 17, 2013

First year of my son being enrolled at ECS. Faculty and Administration are approachable and easy to talk with. Real sense of family and community here. I had high expectations when enrolling my son and ECS has not disappointed. Communication is their top priority. There is no excuse for any parent claiming they didn't know about something. Grades and assignments are posted online for you to access and teachers/principal will respond to emails almost immediately. Looking forward to future school years at ECS

Posted November 2, 2012

My children have attended Excellence for the past 5 years and we have had a very positive experience. The staff is very warm and welcoming and the nurturing Christian environment is evident and is a great foundation for our little ones. Last spring ECS graduated its first senior class and all of them are now in college. The graduates are now attending Delaware State, Spelman, Washington Adventist and Hafstra Universities. ECS is truly a blessing to our family.

Posted September 26, 2012

Excellence sums it up. My child is attending Excellence Christian School this year and after the experience that my husband and I have had thus far, she will be there throughout 12th grade. The staff is warm and personable, the environment is loving and nurturing, and my child loves her new school. The principal is there to greet the children almost every morning with a smile or a hug, and she knows them all by name. The teacher is responsive and keeps us informed. The school has a variety of extra curricular programs as well as high standards for academic success. I entrust the principals and staff will my most precious and valuable asset and I feel confident in doing so, which says a lot considering that I have been known to be a little over protective when it comes to my children.

Posted September 20, 2012

My child went to this school for the 2010-2011 school year and I agree with Community Beware. My child had difficulties that year and was eventually diagnosed as having ADHD. His teacher at the time was not encouraging to us as parents at all. She told us face to face that she did not have time to deal with a child like him. And she told that to us in front of the Vice Principal and Principal. As a parent-- I found that very insulting and if it wasn't for the contract that binds you to paying for tuition the whole year despite what may occur, I would have pulled my child early on. I was glad when the school year ended, it was very exhausting and stressful. I ended up having to get on high blood pressure medication after dealing with the stress of the school. They will call you EVERY time your child does something wrong. I just feel if you are in the business of schooling children, the school personnel should provide compassion to all children. Children develop at different rates and teachers should be prepared to deal with various personality types. Also, teachers need to be educated on how to recognize and deal with the signs of children with disabilities as well.

Posted August 29, 2012

Does anyone know what colleges the students got accepted to? Or is this the first year that they go all the way to 12th grade? I see they just got accrediatied. I'm concerned about my child noting getting the proper education and skill to apply to a good college.

Posted May 22, 2012

Community Beware: Parents if your child is experiencing outside difficulties, this school will not go the 9 yards to provide a safe haven for that child. They will not actively provide a support team for your child. They turned their heads to my child's cry for help. Instead they made my child the victim even after confirming my child needed extra encouragement and support. The staff yelled at my child and accrused my child. Other students observed this and the bullying and harrassment escalated. The school was very bias in their actions to resolve issues. Because of the hard work they would have to put into providing more than a good education, I was told my child can not return to Excellence (Christian) School. Whats looks pretty on the outside my not be pretty on the inside.

Posted April 29, 2012

Parents beware. Enrolling our child in Pre-k at Excellence Christian Academy was an experience.. You have to pay $75 for testing and $225 for registration before your child can be assesed. Payments made are non refundable, even if your child isn't accepted. The assesment is done by the principal alone with the child for 15 minutes. It involves the principal reading a book and asking the student questions afterwards. This assesment to us was unprofessional and subjective to truly assess a childs strengths and weaknesses in 15 minutes. Then to prolong the process the school informs you by mail a week later if your child has been accepted. Needless to say our child wasn't accepted which is fine, but the whole process had us walking away feeling it was just to get our money. Be cautious when enrolling in these private schools that promise smaller classes and better teachers. All aren't sincere and genuine when going through the enrollment process.

Posted February 15, 2010

My child is new at this school and have done well thus far. The school offer everything that most public schools offer but in a loving and nurturing environment. I plan to re-enroll my child for the coming school year.

Posted November 11, 2009

My grand-daughter entered Excellence in K5 and is now in 1st grade. She has grown academically as well as spiritually. She's reading above grade level and she's being challenged in every aspect of learning. She's a high honor student. The staff is loving and caring and take great pride in living and teaching according to their name EXCELLENCE. This school has proven to be one of the best private Christian Schools in Maryland.

Posted July 10, 2009

We placed our student into the kindergarten program at Excellence mid-year. Where she was prior to attending this school she was falling behind, not yet reading, and her confidence was way down. The nurturing spirit of the k5 teacher here is 2nd to none-she cares and it shows! our student was reading full sentences the 3rd week here, her confidence went through the roof! She graduated k5 with honors in all subjects and she now has a thirst for learning more then we could have imagined! Have no hesitations here! We are hard to please parents, with very high expectations; so know that this school stands behind its name (Excellence!).

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 6%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Baptist
Associations
  • ACSI
Fax number
  • (301) 868-1877

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious