PK-1|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Our child went to school here for a couple of years. There are several reasons why we rated the school poorly: 1) Teacher turnover rate is very high. This seems like the trend since it first opened with the other reviews. Basically, most teachers stay for a year and then leave. When our child was there, 5 out of the 7 teachers left. Teachers didn't seem to get along with the administration. How can the kids be happy if the teachers aren't? 2) The school charges for ridiculous things- such as the Halloween parade or dress down day. Yes, if you want your child to feel included you have to pay a fee. It felt like extortion to us. 3) The PTO isn't really a PTO. We had donated quite a bit of money but never knew where the money went. We never received any statements throughout the year. When asked, we realized that the administration could only write the checks from the PTO fund. We felt as though that this was the administration's private fund for their own personal gain. 4) You are bound for a year with the school. Several children were unhappy and cried in school bc they didn't like their teacher. Because you are bound to a year contract, these parents had no choice but to leave their unhappy child in school. Luckily, my child had a good teacher but she left the following year. Because of the high turnover, why would we risk being bound to a year contract and have an unhappy child? What makes this contract worse is that we know of a child who was tested as special needs and needed to attend a new school by recommendation of doctors. The school administration would not allow them to break their contract putting the parents in a bind. What makes it more appalling, is that this family has donated much of their time and money to this school. They volunteer to pick up food for the kids, orchestrate activities, and coordinate the thank you gifts for the teachers. After hearing this, it confirmed to us that the administration does not care about the children but only the money that they get. If this family was treated this way, then imagine how you would be treated. So, before you choose to enroll you child in this school, talk to several parents in your neighborhood, MOMS clubs, etc. The issue with the administration has gone on for years. Wish we had talked to our neighbors before we had enrolled our child into the school.

My child attended GCDS for two years about five years ago. He was lucky to have a couple of very caring teachers for his preschool year and kindergarten year. That being said, the owner and administrator of this school is really hard on her employees and I don't mean that in a good way. This school cannot hold on to its teachers because of this one individual. There is something seriously wrong with the way she handles her staff and causes astounding stress and turnover. For this reason, it is hard to recommend the school.

Whoever wrote the review below does not know what they are talking about. My child has gone to this school for over a year and has never been taken on a field trip without my consent! The environment is designed to ensure academic and emotional growth, and my child has never been happier. As for scaring kids about going to other schools, that's just ridiculous.

the owner tries to scare children out of going to other local schools. She also is known for taking children on field trips without the parents consent. If you want a school where your child can mentally and emotionally prosper this is NOT the school for you.

We are so happy to find this school. This is my child's first time in school. He has adjusted so quickly and now doesn't want to leave at the end of the day! Thank you for being so warm and helpful in making this fun for us all.

My son has made great strides in just one month. We are so lucky to have you.

Glenwood Country Day School - specifically the preschool - had wonderful teachers for the academic year '10-11, but yet again has been unable to retain teachers more than one year (and late hiring in the summer for '11-12 makes one wonder about the upcoming school year). They blame it on 'standard teacher turnover', but in fact the administration is atrocious, teachers have many complaints, there is very poor leadership by the head of school and preschool Director (which is evident on many levels), and there are many other concerns. While the mission is commendable, there are many inconsistencies in delivering. Buyer beware.

Good choice for children who have learning differences. Mine are socially awkward, but are not "behavior problems." I did not need a school for behavior problems, just for innattentive behavior. My children are closing academic gaps right in front of my eyes. They offer research based instruction such as TouchMath, Orton-Gillingham, Wilson, Kurzweil. They offer OT and SLP for additional cost, and the services are superior. I highly recommend it.

I have been sending my children here to "camp" each summer for the past couple summers and have been so impressed with the teachers, facilities, location and program that I have moved my children to the program full time durning the school year and we couldn't be happier!

My child has achieved many goals and jumped many hurdles since being at this school. Confidence building and small classroom sizes have been key, along with the curriculum that goes at my child's pace - not the teacher's!

Last modified Glenwood Country Day School is a Private school that serves grades PK-1