Agawam, MA
Students enrolled: 1,351

Agawam High School 3

Posted August 05, 2014
Needs funding for new equipment. Needs to be refurbished. Students and parents and faculty need to support the visual and performing arts. The school should use that photography lab to actually do photography and film media. The old recording studio should be remade into one. Most of the teachers are great people and do good. The school just needs some TLC and a purpose to make good things happen. It has gotta be like a two way street. The teachers and administration and the students have to understand the notion of give and take. Some do. Some don't. Agawam certainly is not the worst small town public school. It does good by some people and yet others sadly can't prove that from their experience. So I say to this school, you need to cut the bs and function higher. You have great people there. Will you let them do great things? Will you let them succeed? Will they be challenged and pushed? Or will they just be pushed through and out into the real world not knowing how to think critically and with any sense? This school fluctuates between positive and negative. Which is fine naturally speaking but I'd like to see it climb positively with consistency.

Agawam High School 1

Posted May 18, 2014
Ive gone thru Agawam schools and now so has my child. The guidance department is awful, they dont care to take any time actually helping students as far as picking the right classes and prepping for college. very disinterested. the principals play favorites such as 2 kids commit same offense, one punished, one not. Bullying and drug use is rampant, kids go to school high very often. there are a handful of very good teachers who care but the rest.... one was lauded as teacher of the year after he told me he didnt have time when staying after school to actually help students, thats what books are for. really. he also used an overweight girl in class,math,and her weight as an example embarrassing her, principal did nothing at all. if I could have taken my child to a better school, I would have in a heartbeat. very disgusted with the very old,crumbling building too. zero landscaping,look for yourself, and old lockers, bad track,small rooms,not enough bathrooms etc... glad we are done with the Agawam school system.

Posted September 09, 2013
This school is the best, great learning experience, one of the best high schools in western mass.

Agawam High School 2

Posted September 03, 2013
Speaking as a former class of 2000 student from AHS the school was decent at best.. The teachers I had were old school ,set in there ways and favored certain students over the rest and didn't hide the fact. Some people think that because its a suburban school that it's better but that's not always the case.. Hopefully they have some younger more attentive teachers that show compassion and want the students to prosper, not just push them through grade by grade sweeping them under the rug.. The saying is true, these children ARE the future, don't we want to give them every chance possible to fully succeed in life?

Posted April 03, 2009
I have graduated from this school, and now my daughter is a Freshman at AHS. The two experiences could not be more different. When I was a student, the learning structure was aweful, the teachers had very little interest in their students, and all the extra curricular activities centered around sports - there were not many options if you had other interests. However, my daughter has joined several clubs and has had a really positive experence with each of them. The teachers are much younger than those I had, and have a fresh take on how to communicate with teens and keep them interested in topics covered in class. The teachers that I've met of hers have taken a real interest in her progress and advancement. This school has come a long way in one generation.

Agawam High School

Posted March 31, 2009
i went to this school and it is much to strict. There are barely any activities for the students to attend. they need to loosen up. other that that it is not a bad pschool to attend

Posted October 21, 2008
The school has changed a lot for the better. Kids have more freedom (not too much) and are respected. Great things are happening at this school.

Posted November 14, 2006
I think Agawam High School is a wonderful school. I'm currently a sophomore at AHS, and its been one of the most wonderful experiences of my life. If theres ONE or TWO teachers that are bothering you or your son/daughter based on bad teaching skills, then you need to understand that 1.not everyone is perfect, and 2. you are allowed to go to guidance and have them switch your teacher but take the same course or another course depending on yours or your son/daughter's grades at any point in the year. I did that with 2 of my teachers freshman year, and I'm very glad that I did that. All teachers are more than willing to help anyone.If you don't work hard in this school, you won't succeed.

Agawam High School 2

Posted March 23, 2006
This is not a very good high school. I wish I had been lucky enought to attend another school but alas, funds prevented that. I would say that if you can, find an alternative for your kids. This school seems stuck in another time as far as teaching methods and isn't terribly inspirational.

Posted January 16, 2006
Agawam high school is an excellent school to attend. It is challenging and offers a wide variety of clubs and after school programs. The parents seem to be really involved in their childs education.

Agawam High School
760 Cooper Street, Agawam, MA  01001
Last modified Agawam High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Agawam High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 20 reviews. Top