No rating

Andover School of Montessori

Private | PK-8 | 187 students

Living in Andover

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $459,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,130.

Sweep tile

Posted February 11, 2014

One of the main things that we value in Montessori curriculum is that they help kids with developing communication and interpersonal skills. My older son was a shy kid and I do remember times when he couldn t keep eye contact or shake principal s hand. I think Montessori school helped to develop his confidence and be able to communicate openly with other kids and adults, express his opinion and share his ideas. Open environment during classes kids are not confined and instead they study in small groups in different class areas depending on what project they are working on. Individual homework plans - my son is good at math and his teachers give him extra work for math trying to adjust for his skill level. Multi-age environment: youngest kids interact directly with the older students and it helps to develop a role model for them. Also the older kids learn patience when dealing with younger students. After Joanna DeStefanis joined the school as Head of School we noticed lots of positive changes. The school is starting a full day Summer program and they also hosts the after school program (before it was YMCA). The activities are more organized and supervised.

Posted November 12, 2013

My kids have been going here for years and I'm very pleased with what they've learned and how well they've been supported emotionally and academically. The staff are dedicated and passionate and my kids are happy. I'm happy!

Posted October 31, 2013

I have an 8-year-old and 3-year-old at ASM. We couldn't be happier! The culture of independent learning is phenomenal! The teachers put so much thought and care into working with each student. At a recent United Nations Day celebration, I asked my young son's teacher how they knew which flag for him to make (celebrating his cultural heritage). I was so impressed when the teacher told me they had gone back and read the letter we sent the school with his application the year before. If more children could attend a school as educationally enriching as ASM, the world would be an amazing place!

Posted October 29, 2013

Andover School of Montessori has very experienced and dedicated teachers, who provide an amazing and comprehensive curriculum. It's a place where children are treated with courtesy, and learn to be leaders and problem solvers. This is a place to prepare your child to thrive in a changing global economy.

Posted October 29, 2013

I was a little worried when our daughter first started with ASM. The transition from daycare to a Montessori program felt extreme, but she transitioned much more quickly than I expected. Quite literally, she pulls me into school every morning and loves telling me about her day. Her independence and confidence has skyrocketed since when she started, only a couple months ago. I love to see the very personal attention every student gets, as shown by the head of school greeting every child that walks into the school in the morning by name and with a welcoming handshake. I am so grateful to have our older daughter there and am excited to have our younger daughter start next year.

Posted October 29, 2013

We have been a parents at ASM for over many years. I have had one child graduate and have another who will in a few years. We have been impressed with the academic and social growth of both of our children. ASM should be advertised as a place that will help your child excel. Each student is given their own curriculum and encouraged to challenge themselves to excel in all areas of study. The real world is not asking adults to memorize and sit at a desk and think like everyone else - and ASM teaches students to be prepared for that world. I highly recommend this school to academically driven families.

Posted October 29, 2013

My kids recently were enrolled in ASM. We couldn't be happier in selecting the school. The kids come home with so much great information and are learning at a very very fast pace. I was worried about the transition from day care environment but due to the program and teachers, it has been a very easy and smooth transition. My husband and I are very confident about the selection we have made and really like the community ASM has to offer. We would highly recommend it to others.

Posted October 29, 2013

This is a great school for the younger grades. I would not recommend it for students after 5th or 6th grade though. Also note that there have been 3 School Directors (Headmasters) in the last 5 years.

Posted October 27, 2013

Our son started at Children's House this past August. This is our first experience with Montessori and we are extremely impressed with the teaching methodology. Our son likes to explore and is extremely curious and is thriving in this extremely supportive and nurturing environment. The school focuses on the overall learning experience, and his personality is shining through. The new head of the school and the Director of Children's House are amazing - key policy decisions are based on the overall experience of the children. It was great to see them put the overall experience of children and their safety above everything else. The teachers are passionate about what they do, and above all, are so kind to children - which was very important to us as our little three year old was going to be away from our watchful eye for the first time. The parent community is very active and close - it's like a cozy family - parents, teachers and students looking out for each other. Our son loves it there - today at Children's Museum he built a "structure" with some blocks, and when asked explained to us that it was Andover School. We are so glad he is attending ASM and loving going to school.

Posted October 26, 2013

ASM has been a wonderful experience for us and our son. We have seen amazing growth as he has gone from first through third grade. We have had him in Montessori education since he was 20 months old in various schools (we moved around), and ASM is among the best. The staff, faculty and community are all excellent, and we recommend ASM wholeheartedly.

Posted October 24, 2013

We have two children in ASM for the past 5 years since they were 3 years old. The teachers and staff there are wonderful and caring. Because of the classroom size, the children are given sufficient individual attention and encouraged to learn at their own pace and explore areas of their own interests. No only I found the children there generally excels in academic areas compared to their own grade level, they are also taught about other important things in real life like respect, courtesy, independence, social skills and leadership skills. They are given through out their early years the tools to learn, the love of learning and promoted curiosity and creative thinking, instead of being force fed information or taught to pass tests. We are very happy to see how much our children have grown and learned there. Bring your child/children here to see they blossom.

Posted July 26, 2013

I was looking for a place my child would be treated as an individual, where he can excel at any subject at whatever pace he can handle. They never hold him back to what the rest of the class is "up to." And if he finds something that's challenging, he's never rushed, but gently encouraged. He's excited to go to school each day, and comes home excited to tell me all he's learned. My family instantly became part of a community of families committed to their children. Its heartwarming to a school where everyone seems to really know, and care, about everyone else. As a Montessori school, they have multiage classrooms where my child can learn from others, and learn by teaching others. My older child has been there two years now, and will start 1st grade in September and my younger one will start there in Children's House (preschool) this year. We looked at dozens of schools and programs, and even after deciding we liked the Montessori approach to education, evaluated a number of other Montessori schools. We're so glad that this school is near enough, and we were able to get our children into it. This is the best program, and the best Montessori school for miles around.

Posted June 20, 2013

My child transferred into ASM from our town's public school system in September, 2012. We hoped for the best and certainly found it. This school is run by people who make decisions based on what is BEST FOR THE STUDENTS instead of what is easiest for patents and/or teachers or best for the administration's careers. We are grateful to be able to be part of this school's community and look forward to the years of learning ahead.

Posted June 8, 2013

This is the worst school in all of Massachusetts. My child is flunking out of high school because we were basically swindled into thinking this would be the best place.

Posted September 24, 2012

We have had 3 kids in the Andover School of Montessori since pre-K and they are still going strong here. Our kids are confident, polite, and have been academically challenged. ASM is known for its preschool and solid foundation, but the great hidden gem is what happens to kids who stay on through elementary and middle school. There is a sense of ownership in the school, which leads to confidence academically and socially. The older they get, the more this blossoms. Test results have affirmed the appropriateness and rigor of the academic curriculum. Current leadership has placed emphasis on a strong science and math program. My kids are well-balanced and prepared for high school and beyond. I recommend ASM and commend the school for cultivating a high level of parent involvement and for getting the word out that the academics are excellent, too.

Posted February 1, 2012

Our son is thriving in this school. We simply could not be happier with the level of expertise and dedication of the teachers and staff. They truly get to know the personalities and academic styles of the students, making sure that the fit is just right when making classroom placements. We continue to be astounded by the depth of information our son is learning at school and at such a young age. Most importantly, we have a child who comes home happy and enthused about learning.

Posted January 31, 2012

As a parent, I am confident in saying that moving my child from public schools to ASM is the BEST DECISION I have made in the last 8 years! The environment here is nurturing, patient, and supportive, exactly what a child chewed up by the public school needed. Learning gaps from lower elementary levels are being closed quicker than I could have hoped for due to the commitment of the teachers and staff. They spent time evaluating my student and working with us on a plan - one which is working on many levels. Not only are educational milestones being met, but self condfidence and self awareness have increased as well. My child has grown academically and personally in a short time and I could not be happier! We have found the community, especially the parent community, to be supportive and welcoming - simply wonderful communication and support. If you are serious about finding a unique place for your child to grow and learn, please come to the school and see for yourself - the staff, the students, the atmosphere and, most importantly, the results really have been a blessing in my child's life and in my family's life. My only regret is we that we did not enroll sooner!

Posted January 30, 2012

The three R s are only the beginning of what ASM offers. Every social skill feeds into the academic curriculum, molding these students into extraordinary leaders, colleagues, innovators, mentors, and citizens. ASM s mission is not just to teach children to pass math tests, but to pass the tests of life. Children of tomorrow s world require abstract thinking, time management and people skills to successfully apply what they ve learned. ASM grads are confident, intelligent, successful individuals who think outside the box. ASM has a low teacher-student ratio, making it a dream school where each child receives the basics plus an intensive curriculum that takes into account the student s own best learning methods. ASM kids are challenged, attended to and encouraged on academic and personal levels. ASM teaches its students The Facts but goes far beyond to encourage them to use their knowledge and actions to better their world. This should be every school s purpose. You can get a basic, traditional education at any school if that is all you want for your child. But if you want them to have an exceptional, worldly educational experience, you must consider Andover School of Montessori.

Posted December 16, 2010

Please be careful and ask around before you enroll your children or sign any contracts with Andover School of Montessori.

Posted April 29, 2010

Excellent school from pre-k through 8th grade the students are taught to respect differences, a love of learning and a great sense of right and wrong. The teacher to student ratio is very small allowing for each student to be heard, noticed and taught. Graduates matriculate to the finest schools in the area. A great community, great learning and personal approach to all aspects of the child.

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian 23% 5%
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Nurse(s)
Reading specialist(s)
School psychologist
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Italian
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

School start time
  • 8:30am
School end time
  • 3pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Before school
  • Dr. Susan Kluver
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian
Associations
  • AMI
  • AMS
Fax number
  • (978) 475-1290

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Montessori

• Gym
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Playground

• Drama
  • Poetry

School culture

Dress Code
  • Neither uniforms nor dress code
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer opportunities for parents to help and support the school are: classrooms, library, educational enrichment, fundraising, board of directors and subcommittees. parents are solicited at the annual volunteer fair by the parent organization-pace.
  • Volunteer time after school