Arlington, MA
Students enrolled: 1,026

Ottoson Middle School 5

Posted February 03, 2015
Outstanding faculty and a wonderful community of kids. We are so happy we moved to Arlington!

Ottoson Middle School 2

Posted November 13, 2014
Good points: the teachers are excellent and dedicated. The music, arts, and tech programs are excellent. Bad points: there are way way too many kids in this school. Staff can be snarky. The building looks like a prison. Half of the Special Ed. department is terrific; the other half is awful. And worst for last, most teachers give ridiculous, insanely ridiculous amounts of homework. 30 minutes per subject, so they say. Kids aren't allowed in the library after school without signing up for an after school program.

Ottoson Middle School 2

Posted June 24, 2014
I see other posts from parents whose kids got help. I agree with the parent whose kid did not. The principal is eager to place blame on the students and behaves very non-professionally. Kids are labeled as "bad" and there is an emphasis on managing the numbers and NOT on helping students. Some teachers were excellent, others were quite averse to helping. I always felt I was going into battle as opposed to working with the school to help my child. Guidance was filled with caring people, however.

Ottoson Middle School 4

Posted January 26, 2014
This is my second year attending this school. So far its been a pretty awesome year. I have very nice teachers and they all give you a reasonable amount of homework, sometimes none at all. I am really gonna miss seventh grade.

Posted December 22, 2013
This school is just so -so.They seldom Listen to my child , don't give him help. so we feel very disappointed.

Ottoson Middle School 3

Posted November 06, 2013
If I could, I'd give this school 3 and a half stars. I am currently attending my second year at Ottoson. Some of the teachers are very great and nice and fair. Others should be fired. Unreasonable dress code (seriously, who has shorts that are past your finger tips when your arms are at your side?). I know public schools aren't always supposed to be clean and tidy, but sometimes it's disgusting. I am afraid to sit on the toilet seat or even touch the door handle to the bathroom. Also, it's very disorganized because of gigantic class sizes. There should really be a second middle school in Arlington.

Ottoson Middle School 5

Posted October 16, 2013
I am writing in response to the post dated August 28, 2010, I think it is awful that you had to go through that type of bullying but I think at that time bullying was going on in ALOT OF SCHOOLS UNOTICED, and children in fear of talking about it but I can tell you now (with the new laws) OMS is very involved with ANTI- BULLYING they have seminars, they get our children involved as well. My son is in the 8th grade at the OMS and I have to say for a parent who was very nervous about Middle School, OMS has gone beyond my expectations, I have seen my son grow so much with the support not only from his teachers but his peers as well. The academic support they have is remarkable. I grew up in Arlington but went to the (Junior High East) which has closed down since so I had no Idea about OMS but if you are parent looking on this site about schools from one parent to another the OMS is a wonderful school, I am reading some reviews from the kids that attended OMS in regards to detentions, yes I am sure the school give detentions when needed. The teachers, staff, principles are all available to you when needed. I had a great experience with my son at OMS I will miss OMS next year.

Posted August 28, 2013
I went to ottoson and got A and B and I still hated this school. This is my summary of the place half the teachers nice half mean. I failed most of my test in the summer because there was no air conditioner but that ok with the principles because they have air conditioners in there offices. I had terrible migraines but they would not send me home. I remember once getting left out in the rain and I went inside and they said I had to go back out so I was wet most of the morning and then they said over the speaker that morning " you can not just buy a ampm card just to go in the school and not get wet". First time I got a detention it was because of this "teacher said no more talking I said ok wait does me saying ok count as talking" and then I got a detention. I would not suggest this school.

Posted October 29, 2012
This school is awful. I always dread each day of it. The teachers are unorganized, and just plain unfair. They throw detentions at you left and right for things that aren't your fault. They give undoable amounts of homework and they act like they hate you.

Ottoson Middle School 4

Posted June 12, 2011
I personally think this is a good school. I am attending here and other than some bad teachers, I think it is an ideal middle school.

Ottoson Middle School
63 Acton Street, Arlington, MA  02476
Last modified Ottoson Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ottoson Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top